The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 16, 2016, 10:46:51 PM
Quote from: grounded on November 16, 2016, 03:04:17 PM
Yeah that makes more sense now. Although I think they have downplayed South Africa's chances a little in the article. The SA government seem to be fully on board now and they will have a strong shout given that they bidded for and lost out on the 2011 and 2015 tournaments. The 2019 tournament is in Japan and will be still seen as Northern hemisphere.
   I suppose as someone else said it will all come down to politics and how much profit can be generated by the host nation in terms of ticket sales.
Not really

World Rugby get their €120 million then ticket ssles go to the organisers
Works Rugby makes further money on the sponsorship, tv etc

And surely having World Rugby based in Fitzwilliam Square has to help.

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on November 17, 2016, 07:08:18 AM
Poor Thurles is out. Cos no hotels. Our social affairs correspondent Bomber Destro will be along shortly to explain the difference between GAA and fake rugby match attendance patterns

Michael Lowry is losing his touch.

AhNowRef

Really looking forward to Saturdays game ... but a bit worried about a combination of a NZ pissed off backlash coupled with the fact that they'll be even more "up for it" due to the earthquakes back home .....   If Ireland can put in another performance like the last day it should be some spectacle... Mon Ireland !!!

AZOffaly

Team just announced.

Rob Kearney
Andrew Trimble
Jared Payne
Robbie Henshaw
Simon Zebo
Jonny Sexton
Conor Murray

Jack McGrath
Rory Best
Tadgh Furlong
Donnacha Ryan
Devin Toner
CJ Stander
Sean O'Brien
Jamie Heaslip

AZOffaly

Replacements : Sean Cronin, Cian Healy, Finlay Bealham, Iain Henderson, Josh Van der Flier, Kieron Marmion, Paddy Jackson, Gary Ringrose.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 17, 2016, 02:24:15 PM
Replacements : Sean Cronin, Cian Healy, Finlay Bealham, Iain Henderson, Josh Van der Flier, Kieron Marmion, Paddy Jackson, Gary Ringrose.

I have a limited knowledge of Rugby but I was expecting Dillane to be in the squad, is he injured or just deemed not good enough yet?

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 17, 2016, 02:29:14 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 17, 2016, 02:24:15 PM

I have a limited knowledge of Rugby but I was expecting Dillane to be in the squad, is he injured or just deemed not good enough yet?

Injured according to report in RTE - picked up a knock vs Canada
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

grounded

Yeah that makes more sense now. Although I think they have downplayed South Africa's chances a little in the article. The SA government seem to be fully on board now and they will have a strong shout given that they bidded for and lost out on the 2011 and 2015 tournaments. The 2019 tournament is in Japan and will be still seen as Northern hemisphere.
   I suppose as someone else said it will all come down to politics and how much profit can be generated by the host nation in terms of ticket sales.
Not really

In the 2015 RWC tournament it wasn't quite as simple as that.
                      ' While FIFA has been criticised for swallowing the profits made by its world cups - the rugby tournament England has a set target surplus of £15m - this figure was agreed with World Rugby. The RFU keeps that money - beyond that point any additional surplus will be split 50/50 between World Rugby and the RFU.
    http://www.newstalk.com/Heres-the-breakdown-of-the-numbers-behind-Englands-Rugby-World-Cup

I'd assume World Rugby will have a similar arrangement with any host in 2023

foxcommander

Not really

So world rugby, like fifa, make millions off other peoples hard work (gaa volunteers).
Taxpayers pick up the tab for hosting it/policing it etc.
Any chance they'd build that rail line between dublin airport and the city centre to cater for this? They have 7 years to do so.
Maybe we can get GAA patrons to lend a hand putting down the tracks.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Wildweasel74

Sadly i think it be a different game this Saturday, we keep it tight for 60 mins then i expect the all-blacks to pull away from us, they are nearly at full strength except for 1 or 2 missing. The line out situation will be different this weekend for New Zealand though their centre pairing look very inexperienced

Milltown Row2

They will be going full pelt to make a statement that's for sure! Keeping it tight would be a plan but I can't see that happening, though I thought that in the first game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hardy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 17, 2016, 09:57:56 PM
Sadly i think it be a different game this Saturday, we keep it tight for 60 mins then i expect the all-blacks to pull away from us, they are nearly at full strength except for 1 or 2 missing. The line out situation will be different this weekend for New Zealand though their centre pairing look very inexperienced

What's going to stop their scrum being destroyed again? What are they going to do to get the ball past Toner on their own lineout?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Hardy on November 18, 2016, 12:45:49 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 17, 2016, 09:57:56 PM

What's going to stop their scrum being destroyed again? What are they going to do to get the ball past Toner on their own lineout?

Retallick and Whitelock are the best 2nd row pairing in the world. Ireland should still do ok in the line out but the NZ scrum will be more powerful. That'll ensure their back row can get off early to make tackles. An example being Sam Kane was tied into the last scrum pre Henshaw try.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 13, 2016, 06:32:16 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 12, 2016, 01:15:55 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 12, 2016, 07:56:36 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 12, 2016, 06:49:00 AM
Superb win for Munster last night. Jeez they are playing some stuff at the minute. Sweetnam just gets better and better. Future world class winger. Really impressed with Rory Scannell also.

Now bomber don't spit out your cornflakes but Sweetnam is a former Cork hurler.  :o :o :'( :'( ;D

Was that like one of those exhibition games like when Ireland played Celtic for Jackie McNamara's testimonial a few years back. I don't even remember the result if I'm honest, such is the contempt real sports fans would treat exhibition games with.

I don't know if you realise it but I don't tend to hold hurling in much regard, not my cup of tea.

Celtic? McNamara? Christ it's all coming out now folks....he's one of those I hate foreign games but love the sellllllllickkkk

I don't hate foreign games. I'm very open minded when it comes to sport but I also have standards, rugby is just a dreadful game played by muscle bound freaks with a very dubious attitude to systematic doping.

I don't like game which involve absolutely nothing in the way of skill or initiative, like rugby.
Sounds like you are describing Tyrone!

seafoid

Walter how did you get interested in rugby? Was it as a player or was your Dad a big fan or was it something else?