Dublin

Started by ashman, April 24, 2016, 05:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: The Aristocrat on May 16, 2016, 01:05:05 PM
21 pages of slander, jealousy and self pity.!

Cap the money all you want, Dublin teams with their natural footballing ability will be dominating for the foreseeable future, so get use to it unless you go and join the set up in your own counties and get your own counties in order.

Kerry have one of the biggest companies in the world sponsoring them and get anything they want. for example GPS trackers for their U-16 Girls team.

When the Kerry U16 girls are winning the league and Sam Maguire every year hammering all in sight we'll start worrying about them.

Jinxy

There are few GAA tropes more boring than the 'ball-hopping' Kerry man.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: ballinaman on May 18, 2016, 12:09:16 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-matching-the-dubs-is-proving-a-costly-affair-1.2651067

At least he is being honest when he says Kerry have the biggest and wealthiest sponsor in the country and they get everything the want. I dont begrudge them.

But they have a serious problem down there that their money is not good enough anymore to beat the most naturally gifted footballing team ever to play the game in Dublin.

The best part of the article is the comments at the end.

Just to highlight a lot of Kerry's all Irelands in the years gone by are flawed due to lack of opposition. Take away 20 All Irelands.

Nobody complained at the "Munster Championship" farce with Kerry having to beat just a couple of hurling counties every year. It ensured success and provided confidence and motivation. In Mick O'Dwyer's first year in charge, Kerry had a bye to the Munster Final. That is the type of opposition that they faced. Of course it was a scandal but nobody complained.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Jinxy on May 18, 2016, 12:21:01 PM
There are few GAA tropes more boring than the 'ball-hopping' Kerry man.

Objection!!!

Owenmoresider

Quote from: The Aristocrat on May 18, 2016, 11:54:51 PM
Just to highlight a lot of Kerry's all Irelands in the years gone by are flawed due to lack of opposition. Take away 20 All Irelands.

Nobody complained at the "Munster Championship" farce with Kerry having to beat just a couple of hurling counties every year. It ensured success and provided confidence and motivation. In Mick O'Dwyer's first year in charge, Kerry had a bye to the Munster Final. That is the type of opposition that they faced. Of course it was a scandal but nobody complained.

Not true, there was a year later on at their peak (1980?) that Kerry did get a bye through to the final, might have been following on from the Miltown Malbay massacre probably. They played Tipp in 1975 before meeting Cork I think.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 19, 2016, 10:11:36 AM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on May 18, 2016, 11:54:51 PM

Not true, there was a year later on at their peak (1980?) that Kerry did get a bye through to the final, might have been following on from the Miltown Malbay massacre probably. They played Tipp in 1975 before meeting Cork I think.

Owenmoresider correct here...in 1980 Kerry played only three championship games - Cork, Offaly and Roscommon.  Was that a "handy" title for Kerry, beating teams with players who would be very close to being the best of all time in Matt Connor and Dermot Earley?  Or was 1997 "handier" beating Clare, Tipp, Cavan and Mayo?

Canalman

Imo Kerry desparately trying to shake off the flat track bully tag. They need a blue ribbon win in the AIF (Dublin but I think Tyrone would be acceptable).

For all the great players Kerry had the last decade and a half or so, they imo again cannot really brag too much amongst their own down there as they will be brought down a peg or two by fans used to the 1970s/1980s successes.

Tyrone and recently Dublin really grates with them.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Canalman on May 19, 2016, 11:44:24 AM
Imo Kerry desparately trying to shake off the flat track bully tag. They need a blue ribbon win in the AIF (Dublin but I think Tyrone would be acceptable).

For all the great players Kerry had the last decade and a half or so, they imo again cannot really brag too much amongst their own down there as they will be brought down a peg or two by fans used to the 1970s/1980s successes.

Sure they beat Tyrone last year. Or do you mean just in the Final itself?

Fuzzman

A lot of ye seem to thinking Tyrone are back in the top 3 or 4 teams of Ireland again.
Whilst we have got to the semis in 2013 and last year it has been a LONG time (2008) since we beat one of the big guns including Cork, Donegal, Mayo, Kerry and Dublin.
In 2013 we beat Monaghan in the 1/4 final and lost by 6 points to Mayo.
In 2015 we again beat Monaghan in the 1/4 final and lost by 4 points to Kerry.
I think we have made progress but when it comes to those big games you need a little bit extra to get you over the line. Sean Cavanagh isn't the player he was 5 years ago.

We no longer have the forwards to compete against the main contenders and I can see us struggle again in Ulster v Donegal or Monaghan if we get that far.

Canalman

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2016, 11:45:35 AM
Quote from: Canalman on May 19, 2016, 11:44:24 AM

Sure they beat Tyrone last year. Or do you mean just in the Final itself?

Yeah, meant the final itself. No good winning  a great semi final  and losing the final as Donegal learnt the hard way in 2014.

Forgot to add  Down to the  earlier post about a blue ribbon win for Kerry. Possibly Galway or Meath also.

In fairness to them , it is a great situation to be in to be picky about who they beat in an AIF. Imo of course.

AZOffaly

To be honest, I don't think Kerry really rank All Irelands in that way. It annoys them when they feel they are struggling with a given team (Tyrone in the noughties, Dublin now) but I don't think winning an All Ireland against anyone else is ranked any lower. Beating the Dubs or Tyrone at any stage does them.

I'm sure they'd love to win an All Ireland v Dublin, but if you offered them 1 v Dublin or 2 or 3 v 'others', they'd take the 2 or 3. They are all about the notches on the belt.

Fuzzman

I disagree AZ and not just cos I'm from Tyrone.
I think listening to a few of that team what lost to Tyrone those 3 times during the noughties, now that they are retired I think they would have happily sacrificed two wins v Mayo or Cork for one against us, to put us in our place.
It's the same now against Dublin I feel. They have really got under their skin and when you have as many AIs as Kerry have its all about beating your biggest rivals not to just add another one to the belt. I could be wrong though.

You tend to notice Kerry can be nice in defeat if a team beats them in a once off but they are a different animal when they reckon you are getting one over on them. They are used to coming to Croker ever summer expecting to win but they now find themselves expecting to lose to the Dubs year after year.

AZOffaly

You could be right. But the lads I speak to would say differently, at least. But then I suppose they all have different opinions too, they hardly all believe the same thing. That said, I do know Kerry just love winning All Irelands. They regard it as their duty, and I don't think they really weigh up the opponent at the end of the year.

Avondhu star

I dont think any of the Dublin panel believe this we are unbeatable talk. Once August comes knockout matches come and any of the top five can raise their game to win once.
But certainly resources are coming more and more in to it and players in weaker counties just wont do it any more. Can we really see a day when good traditonal counties like Offaly will compete for an All Ireland?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you