Price of a Pint

Started by toby47, October 13, 2021, 09:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toby47

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 04, 2023, 12:00:21 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on July 04, 2023, 11:03:11 AM
Quote from: toby47 on July 04, 2023, 09:12:41 AM
4 of us went to the Errigal on Ormeau road on Saturday.

3 Drinking & 1 driver. 3 x Guinness and 1 x 0.0% Guinness was £23.80.

£5.95 for a pint, 0.0% was the same price.

I stick to the Parador 100 meters up the road £5.40 a pint

Is that the norm in the city? drinking is a dear hobbie

Yeah in round town £6 is standard enough.

Just took a quick look -

The National - £6.15
Lavery's - £5.90
Bullit - £6.20
Town Square - £5.80
The Bowery - £6

Crazy prices. Croke Park was 6.10Euro at the weekend, works out about £5.20.

A few cheaper spots in Belfast obviously. But most of the main city centre bars that ones are going to visit are the same prices as above.

gallsman

Quote from: WT4E on July 04, 2023, 12:51:03 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 04, 2023, 11:18:05 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on July 04, 2023, 10:44:34 AM

Yeah it's the same in town. I cant understand that pricing for a non alcoholic drink at all. Also, in most places in Lurgan it's a tin put through the dispenser.

To the manufacturer, in most cases production costs for alcohol free beer will be higher, as the most common method of producing it is dealcoholisation.

U beat me to it. The process is more expensive as an extra stage is added people assume there is less of a process as there is 0 alcohol

Also they are absorbing expenses on smaller volumes whereas for beers like Guinness they have huge vol to absorb cost

Irish people are conditioned too think about paying for the alcohol rather than the drink. Default assumption is that it "should" be cheaper, simply because it won't help get you hammered.

NAG1

Quote from: gallsman on July 04, 2023, 02:28:44 PM
Quote from: WT4E on July 04, 2023, 12:51:03 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 04, 2023, 11:18:05 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on July 04, 2023, 10:44:34 AM

Yeah it's the same in town. I cant understand that pricing for a non alcoholic drink at all. Also, in most places in Lurgan it's a tin put through the dispenser.

To the manufacturer, in most cases production costs for alcohol free beer will be higher, as the most common method of producing it is dealcoholisation.

U beat me to it. The process is more expensive as an extra stage is added people assume there is less of a process as there is 0 alcohol

Also they are absorbing expenses on smaller volumes whereas for beers like Guinness they have huge vol to absorb cost

Irish people are conditioned too think about paying for the alcohol rather than the drink. Default assumption is that it "should" be cheaper, simply because it won't help get you hammered.

That might be the case in some but not all instances I would have thought. I think it's more the point that if the government wants to promote people drinking less and increasing the attractiveness of 0% drinks, the price point is going to be key in doing so.

gallsman

The duty is relatively f**k all in a pint anyway. The price is the manufacturer cost + margin and the pub's markup.

What should the government do about it, subsidise alcohol free beer?

NAG1

Quote from: gallsman on July 04, 2023, 03:07:28 PM
The duty is relatively f**k all in a pint anyway. The price is the manufacturer cost + margin and the pub's markup.

What should the government do about it, subsidise alcohol free beer?

Yeah I'd imagine as a health/ crime intervention idea that would probably be a very cost effective initiative. Taking into account the problem-alcohol related costs across so many sectors of society.

gallsman

Pretty easy to drink something without alcohol in it. Why should taxpayer money subsidise someone drinking beer vs someone drinking, say, tomato juice?

Milltown Row2

In the Parlour, beside Student union, (pre graduation drinks) Tennents is £4 not a great pint but cheap for city.. loads of other drink offers too, double vodka with mixer is a fiver!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

snoopdog

Pint of heineken in Marley park( only lager on sale) 7.50 euro.

Olly

Is there anything to stop a 5-year-old walking into a pub and ordering pint after pint of non-alcoholic Guinness?
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

toby47

Not exactly a pint...but worth a mention.

Fella in work went to that new 'The Avenue' cinema in Belfast last night. Was showing us the receipt this morning - £60 to go to the cinema!

A ticket , 1 drink each, 1 x pack of sweets for his missus & 1 x burger from him as he was rushing from work.

£14 a ticket
£3.80 for a 330ml can of Diet Coke. (surely the biggest rip off on this list??)
£6.95 for a strawberry and lime cider
£4.00 for a bag of Haribo.
£13.50 a burger.

lurganblue

Quote from: toby47 on July 25, 2023, 03:48:26 PM

Fella in work went to that new 'The Avenue' cinema in Belfast last night. Was showing us the receipt this morning - £60 to go to the cinema!

A ticket , 1 drink each, 1 x pack of sweets for his missus & 1 x burger from him as he was rushing from work.

£14 a ticket
£13.50 a burger.

Mad stuff.  That being said, I brought the wife and 2 kids to the cinema recently and it was over 40 quid. Not a burger in sight.  Just sh*tty popcorn.

Tony Baloney

That's crazy. I don't see how those prices are sustainable in Belfast.

Milltown Row2

£14 a ticket
£13.50 a burger.

Those prices are well known before you go to the Avenue Cinema, so I wouldn't be too concerned about people going there and expecting a cheap night out.

You are paying for a different experience, also what grown man buys fecking Haribo?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AustinPowers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 25, 2023, 04:38:23 PM

£14 a ticket
£13.50 a burger.

Those prices are well known before you go to the Avenue Cinema, so I wouldn't be too concerned about people going there and expecting a cheap night out.

You are paying for a different experience, also what grown man buys fecking Haribo?

One that wants to  talk  with a squeaky child's voice , of course  ;D

Ed Ricketts

£14 a ticket
£13.50 a burger.

Dunno what your mate was expecting. The whole USP of The Avenue is a 'premium' experience at a premium price point.

He could've had everything on his list for less the half the price if he had been willing to slum it out at Yorkgate. 9 quid tickets, a Burger King, and Tesco for the cider, haribo and coke.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.