The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: seafoid on February 10, 2021, 10:37:06 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/gordon-d-arcy-the-situation-ireland-find-themselves-in-is-down-to-management-1.4480459An impossible selection awaits for Farrell; stick with Burns despite mounting evidence that he lacks the calmness or accuracy required to soften the cough of a rampant France or switch back to Ross Byrne, again.
If it takes another red card for the team to show up, Antoine Dupont will rip Simon Easterby's defensive system to shreds.
To be relying on graduated return to play protocols this week in order to get Sexton and James Ryan onto the field is not a good look. Some players may need protecting from themselves. Some coaches may need protecting from the players.
I hope this column is shoved down my throat on Sunday. I hope they turn the corner with a famous victory, inspired by No10, but the evidence of the opening 12 minutes indicates a deeper malaise.

I remember when Paddy Jackson came on the scene he had a pretty terrible debut in the 6Ns. He couldn't kick it between the posts. Then he eventually settled down and looked like a credible option as a replacement at least. Obv things went Pete Tong off the field.
I'd start Burns if Sexton isn't fit. It'll be the making or breaking of him but you'll know after 40mins if he's an international player. It's a shot to nothing no one expects to beat the French anyway.

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on February 10, 2021, 10:48:59 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 10, 2021, 10:37:06 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/gordon-d-arcy-the-situation-ireland-find-themselves-in-is-down-to-management-1.4480459An impossible selection awaits for Farrell; stick with Burns despite mounting evidence that he lacks the calmness or accuracy required to soften the cough of a rampant France or switch back to Ross Byrne, again.
If it takes another red card for the team to show up, Antoine Dupont will rip Simon Easterby's defensive system to shreds.
To be relying on graduated return to play protocols this week in order to get Sexton and James Ryan onto the field is not a good look. Some players may need protecting from themselves. Some coaches may need protecting from the players.
I hope this column is shoved down my throat on Sunday. I hope they turn the corner with a famous victory, inspired by No10, but the evidence of the opening 12 minutes indicates a deeper malaise.

I remember when Paddy Jackson came on the scene he had a pretty terrible debut in the 6Ns. He couldn't kick it between the posts. Then he eventually settled down and looked like a credible option as a replacement at least. Obv things went Pete Tong off the field.
I'd start Burns if Sexton isn't fit. It'll be the making or breaking of him but you'll know after 40mins if he's an international player. It's a shot to nothing no one expects to beat the French anyway.

Burns came over as a direct replacement for Jackson after the latter was sacked.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GetOverTheBar

There is a bit of noise now for Paddy Jackson to be considered again, I always knew the day would come the closer Sexton got to the end.

Personally I don't think it's a goer, but if they want to do it......with no gate money really relevant anymore, now is the time (assuming he'll come back and play in Ireland for someone).

Zebo too seems close to returning, definitely an upgrade wherever he fits into the 15.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/johnny-sexton-saddened-and-shocked-over-concussion-comments-from-french-medics-1.4481161

Johnny Sexton 'saddened and shocked' over concussion comments from French medics
Dr Jean-François Chermann expresses his regret over comments he made about his former patient
about 3 hours ago

Gerry Thornley

Johnny Sexton has said he is "saddened and shocked" by what he described as the inaccurate reports emanating from the French media concerning the state of his health and questioning whether he should be permitted to play for Ireland against France in this Sunday's Six Nations game at the Aviva Stadium (kick-off 3pm).

Speaking to the French radio station RMC, the neurologist who stood down Sexton for 12 weeks when he was playing with Racing in 2014 due to concussion issues, Dr Jean-François Chermann, told the Paris-based radio station RMC: "I think Johnny Sexton has had around 30 concussions across his entire career."

In light of Sexton being forced off after his head came into contact with the knee of Welsh flanker Justin Tipuric last Sunday in Cardiff, Chermann also said: "The doctor's role is fundamental here, because if there are symptoms, if his tests are disturbed, the doctor must prevent him from playing on Sunday."

On Wednesday, Dr Chermann expressed his regret over his comments.

Jean Chazal, a French neurosurgeon, also told Midi Olympique that he had concerns for Sexton's health in the event of him being picked for this Sunday's game.

"I'm pretty saddened and shocked by the inaccurate reports that were thrown out yesterday, I think it was," Sexton told the media in his weekly captain's briefing.

Silver hill

Probably a good time for Sexton to hang them up. His bravery and combative style has resulted in a fair old battering over the past 18 years. A good innings, should get out whilst he still has his health.
I always thought he was overrated as a player and fairly one dimensional. He was never the world class player that the Irish media wanted him to be. More than decent place kicker but missed kicks that Farrell, Wilkinson, carter etc would nail. In particular, the kick to the right of posts v all blacks that would have put us 2 scores up.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: Silver hill on February 10, 2021, 08:06:17 PM
Probably a good time for Sexton to hang them up. His bravery and combative style has resulted in a fair old battering over the past 18 years. A good innings, should get out whilst he still has his health.
I always thought he was overrated as a player and fairly one dimensional. He was never the world class player that the Irish media wanted him to be. More than decent place kicker but missed kicks that Farrell, Wilkinson, carter etc would nail. In particular, the kick to the right of posts v all blacks that would have put us 2 scores up.

He's a former World Player of the Year, that's the literal definition of world class.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Silver hill

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on February 10, 2021, 08:35:52 PM

He's a former World Player of the Year, that's the literal definition of world class.

O'Connell and o'driscoll are our only 2 contenders for a world 15 over the past 20 years. Just my opinion and I've given my thoughts on why I don't think he's at that level.

sid waddell

I think his drop goal against France is the greatest drop goal ever scored, all things considered

He richly deserved the world player of the year award in 2018

Undefeated in Lions test series as well including against New Zealand which is the very pinnacle of the game

dublin7

Quote from: sid waddell on February 10, 2021, 11:00:28 PM

I think his drop goal against France is the greatest drop goal ever scored, all things considered

He richly deserved the world player of the year award in 2018

Undefeated in Lions test series as well including against New Zealand which is the very pinnacle of the game

Sexton in his prime was world class. Not only had he the skills, but he's a leader and sets the tone in the dressing room. When he came back to  Leinster from France he wasn't happy with the standards/performance of the squad and set about raising it

GetOverTheBar

Yeah Sexton isn't everyone's cup of tea, we've all had the O'Gara v Sexton one too. But I don't think you can deny Sexton is world class. One of the truly, very few World Class players Ireland have produced.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/dr-barry-o-driscoll-believes-rugby-s-concussion-protocols-not-fit-for-purpose-1.4481327

"The law cases will pour out over the next few years. There are already class action lawsuits in the UK and New Zealand over concussions and still it has made no difference to what they are doing.
"We lowered the tackle and I think that is great – you see what happened to Peter O'Mahony against Wales, but he is very lucky to get only three weeks [matches]. The shoulder to head has to be taken out of the game. The only way to do that is a longer suspension.
"There has to be a couple of other changes brought in as well."
O'Driscoll would start by moving the offside line back 10 metres, an "absolute minimum" of two weeks for return to play protocols and the adoption of Rugby League's 40-20 rule, which gives a team the lineout for a kick inside their own 40-metre line that bounces into touch in the opposition 22.
"The 40-20 rule won't go down well at Twickenham but it promotes the skill element of the game and it forces the defence to take at least one player out of the defensive line. The current offside line is leading to huge trauma at every single play. It also makes the game less attractive.
"We want to make space for runners like  Brian O'Driscoll  to come through again. I would do away with the HIA or at least take the decision out of the team doctor's hands. Or anyone to do with that club or the other side.
"We know from every walk of life that the doctor is subconsciously pressurised to come down with their side. And the player will lie.
"The doctors are compromised. Subconsciously. We need a completely independent doctor, only in every professional game because we are never going to bring this Head Injury Assessment into the amateur or schools rugby, are we?
"In medicine – and this does not reflect on any individual doctor – once the material value becomes the really important thing rather than principles, the relative values become flexible.
"Rugby is a great game," O'Driscoll adds, "but we are going to have to make changes that do not destroy it as a sport. And every player has got to be told exactly what the possibilities and problems are. The NFL got done for $720 million for hiding facts from the players and we, as far as I can see, are not giving the full information to the players."

GetOverTheBar

No Sexton, Murray or Ryan for France.

:o

whitegoodman

Yes average enough looking team.  Am surprised they didn't make one or two changes in the back 3.

Sink or swim time for Burns, I hope he does well.  I think they will now regret not picking Cooney.

seafoid

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 12, 2021, 11:40:58 AM
No Sexton, Murray or Ryan for France.

:o
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/billy-burns-set-to-be-named-at-outhalf-with-sexton-ruled-out-1.4483024
Ireland v France (possible): Hugo Keenan; Keith Earls, Garry Ringrose, Robbie Henshaw, James Lowe; Billy Burns, Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rob Herring, Andrew Porter; Tadhg Beirne, Iain Henderson (capt); Rhys Ruddock, Josh van der Flier, CJ Stander.