O Mahoney gets extra 2 years.

Started by moysider, October 22, 2008, 08:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Unbelievable. I did nt see this one coming. County Board approved a 2 year extension to his contract last night. I find it hard to believe but there ye go. I m surprised he sought an extension but he said he would help out the county in this difficult period of transition.
  Obviously the County Board never heard of Eddie O Sullivan and contract extensions. They are nt listening to opinion around the county either. I dont know whether to laugh or cry.

the Deel Rover

Im beginning to believe in karma
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Jinxy

Sure what harm? Who do you want to take over? I'm sick of this sh*te of dumping good managers after a couple of seasons.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Tyrone Dreamer

Mayo only lost by a point to the All Ireland champions this year and were only beaten narrowly by Galway. There is a lot of pressure on managers at the minute - it seems to be a situation were if you dont win the all ireland in a season or 2 your no good. Even Mickey Harte came under pressure this year and Pat O'Shea was also getting some abuse. It has to be remembered that only county can win Sam each year, that doesnt mean that there is 31 bad inter county managers in Ireland each year and one good one who wins the All Ireland.

the Deel Rover

One thing mayo fans cant be accused of is giving o  mahony abuse  we have questioned him at times yes but abuse him definately not in fairness he has received a soft ride especially by the local press whom he has in his back pocket . Imo they should have waited till next year to see how we progressed before giving him an extension
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

heffo

Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 22, 2008, 09:33:37 PM
One thing mayo fans cant be accused of is giving o  mahony abuse  we have questioned him at times yes but abuse him definately not in fairness he has received a soft ride especially by the local press whom he has in his back pocket . Imo they should have waited till next year to see how we progressed before giving him an extension

Was he appointed on a three year term and had it extended after year two?

moysider

Easy for anybody outside the county to rejoice in his extended appointment as ye wont have to suffer his reign. If any county manager has messed up as badly as O Mahoney the last couple of years I d like to know. He may have been a good manager 10 years ago but he appears to be a self- indulgent, vindictive, dinosaur of the game at this stage. His selfish ommission of MacDonald this year probably cost us a Connacht title or would have made the difference against Tyrone [ on the day Tyrone were only a shadow of the Tyrone team v Dublin or Kerry so that 1 point loss there does nt mean damn all in reality no matter how its spun]. And that was not the only piece of questionable judgement he has shown last two years. All of this has been well documented on here already.
 Dempsey showed what a Mayo team can do with a bit of coaching, ambition, belief etc. I m sure non Mayo folk are delighted with this. One less team to worry about.

the Deel Rover

Ye heffo he was originally giving 3 years  but it seems he has been giving a 2 year extension giving him 5 years 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Tubberman

QuoteWas he appointed on a three year term and had it extended after year two?

He was initially appointed for 3 years. Now, after 2 years, he's been given another 2 years on top of the 3. So he has 3 years left if I understand it correctly.
The timing is a bit strange, but it's hardly binding - I'm sure either side can decide to tear it up if they want to.
It gives a bit more stability to the setup though and should stop any talk of who'll be taking over after next year.
I don't think we'd get a better manager if O'Mahony went (or was pushed) so I'm happy to have JOM in charge. It hasn't been a very impressive tenure so far, but he always said it was going to take time - I'm still hopeful we'll see some real progress next year.
Mayo supporters are getting impatient, but in fairness O'Mahony hasn't come under any real pressure, which may not have been the case if a manager with a lesser reputation had presided over the results of last couple of years.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Puckoon

No big deal if they gave him another 5 years - its token numbers as any of them can be let go at a board meetings notice.

If there is as much dissapointment in Mayo next year - he may not be in charge in 2010.

moysider

Quote from: Puckoon on October 22, 2008, 10:05:49 PM
No big deal if they gave him another 5 years - its token numbers as any of them can be let go at a board meetings notice.

If there is as much dissapointment in Mayo next year - he may not be in charge in 2010.

True, and it may be a move to give him more authority next year in the dresssing room. A manager in his last year after 2 disastrous years would be seen as dead man walking by the players. Some I know were less than enthusiastic about the prospect of next year. How this goes down will be interesting. But it will give him more clout next year. Another year like this would see him survive because county board and himself are expert in allowing the dust to settle between a disastrous summer and reappointment.
   Anyway his extension last night was ratified in less than a minute. No discussion and just 1 delegate asking whether the 2 years were in addition to the remaining year. of course there was no mention of this at the meeting when he agreed to stay on for his third year. So what has changed since?

rosnarun

all anyone want to see from a manger is that he either Progress's a team or starts to build a new one. O mahoney has done neither .
As was said before i wouldn't pay much heed to contracts . in soccerball they are not worth the paper they are written on(except for compo)  and they aren't even written down in the GAA. ask mickey moran and john morrison
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

stephenite

Sounds like a fairly sensible approach by the county board to me, of course the usual suspects are on here lamenting the loss of a 33 year old but if anyone thinks that's the way forward for Mayo, well.....

We currently don't have the players - and I haven't heard of one better suggestion bar Ray Dempsey, who did well this year, did shite last year and shite at every club he attempted to manage. Absolutely nothing to suggest he could handle the step to Senior inter county.

I have only one issue with this - and it's if any of the senior players were consulted? There have been mutterings about players unhappy with JOM and if that's still the case then I don't see the point in going back, but surely he'd know that himself, if he lost the dressing room I mean?

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on October 22, 2008, 10:57:19 PM
all anyone want to see from a manger is that he either Progress's a team or starts to build a new one. O mahoney has done neither .
As was said before i wouldn't pay much heed to contracts . in soccerball they are not worth the paper they are written on(except for compo)  and they aren't even written down in the GAA. ask mickey moran and john morrison

True. True. Its the principle of the thing though. O Mahoney s two years have been less than inspiring. Criticism has been thin where it matters. When  Swinford s  Peter Geraghty tentatively questioned his rebuilding attempts  he was treated with contempt at County board meeting. But he has been rewarded with 2 more years.
 Contrast that with M and M who were savaged at an official level after a great summer.  Does that mean that Claremorris delegate Willie Feeley s 'ladeens' of 06 have all grown up and done better in 07/08?
I dont think so. anyway the reward for M and M reaching a final in 1 year was a size 12 up the derriére. It apppears less is more in the sweet county Mayo.

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on October 22, 2008, 11:14:32 PM
Sounds like a fairly sensible approach by the county board to me, of course the usual suspects are on here lamenting the loss of a 33 year old but if anyone thinks that's the way forward for Mayo, well.....

We currently don't have the players - and I haven't heard of one better suggestion bar Ray Dempsey, who did well this year, did shite last year and shite at every club he attempted to manage. Absolutely nothing to suggest he could handle the step to Senior inter county.

I have only one issue with this - and it's if any of the senior players were consulted? There have been mutterings about players unhappy with JOM and if that's still the case then I don't see the point in going back, but surely he'd know that himself, if he lost the dressing room I mean?

As I m probably one of the usual suspects, 3 things.

Brian Dooher is also 33. Would Tyrone have done anything without him this year? and he ll be there next year too probably. May not be the future but he s the present.

We do indeed have the players but maybe not the best players available were in the senior panel on the evidence of recent weeks. However that s besides the point. we ve more quality players than most. It s selection and tactical nous that is the rock we perish on. The U21 and minor teams showed the potential that is there and it s a fairly constant thing. I reckon our county champions will prove to be as good as most again this year

I d be amazed if players were consulted. Players have never been seen as particularly important in this county. And yeah a lot of the players are fed up with the mother superior approach of O Mahoney.