Mayo V Cork. 16/03/13. McHale Park

Started by moysider, March 11, 2014, 10:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Huge weekend of sport to look forward to.

Cork are always difficult and often formidable at all grades. I suppose that is what made the U21 win in 2006 a bit special.

Still I m expecting Mayo to win this at home. I posted a team on the last thread that I d like to see start. I m sure other people have a different take on things?

Any Cork posters about?

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 11, 2014, 10:16:16 PM
Zulu is close to being from Cork...

Close never bulled a cow.

We need a proper langer.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

The Cork Senior Football team to play Mayo on Sunday at 2.30pm in McHale Park, Castlebar, will line out as follows:

1. Ken O'Halloran (Bishopstown)
2. Michael Shields (St. Finbarr's - Captain)
3. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)
4. Kevin Crowley (Millstreet)
5. Conor Dorman (Bishopstown)
6. Tom Clancy (Clonakilty)
7. Alan Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
8. Andrew O'Sullivan (Castletownbere)
9. Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)
10. Colm O'Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
11. Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)
12. Tomás Clancy (Fermoy)
13. Colm O'Neill (Ballyclough)
14. Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)
15. Donncha O'Connor (Ballydesmond)

Subs
16. David Hanrahan (Douglas)
17. John McLoughlin (Kanturk)
18. James Loughrey (Mallow)
19. Kevin O'Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
20. Fintan Goold (Macroom)
21. Micheál O Laoire (Naomh Abán)
22. Barry O'Driscoll (Nemo Rangers)
23. Mark Collins (Castlehaven)
24. John O'Rourke (Carbery Rangers)
25. John Hayes (Carbery Rangers)
26. Daniel Goulding (Eire Óg)

Unusual step by Cuthbert, naming 2 Under 21s the day before they play a big c/ship match..puts a bit of pressure on them.
Clancy is a defender so could play as sweeper.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

moysider

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on March 12, 2014, 12:22:02 AM
The Cork Senior Football team to play Mayo on Sunday at 2.30pm in McHale Park, Castlebar, will line out as follows:

1. Ken O'Halloran (Bishopstown)
2. Michael Shields (St. Finbarr's - Captain)
3. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)
4. Kevin Crowley (Millstreet)
5. Conor Dorman (Bishopstown)
6. Tom Clancy (Clonakilty)
7. Alan Cronin (Nemo Rangers)
8. Andrew O'Sullivan (Castletownbere)
9. Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)
10. Colm O'Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
11. Paul Kerrigan (Nemo Rangers)
12. Tomás Clancy (Fermoy)
13. Colm O'Neill (Ballyclough)
14. Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)
15. Donncha O'Connor (Ballydesmond)

Subs
16. David Hanrahan (Douglas)
17. John McLoughlin (Kanturk)
19. Kevin O'Driscoll (Tadhg MacCárthaigh)
21. Micheál O Laoire (Naomh Abán)
24. John O'Rourke (Carbery Rangers)

Unusual step by Cuthbert, naming 2 Under 21s the day before they play a big c/ship match..puts a bit of pressure on them.
Clancy is a defender so could play as sweeper.

Looking at a new (new to me anyway) Cork team is like looking at an unfamiliar All Black line up. You dont know a lot about them but you know they ll have the quality to really mess you up unless you re clued in.

What s the story with Cuthburt Ciarrai thuaidh? I m hearing he s a bit of a Maoist. Going back to basics and losing a lot of the backroom stuff. Injured players doing stats and stuff. Not that I m against that or anything?

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: moysider on March 12, 2014, 12:43:11 AM

Looking at a new (new to me anyway) Cork team is like looking at an unfamiliar All Black line up. You dont know a lot about them but you know they ll have the quality to really mess you up unless you re clued in.

What s the story with Cuthburt Ciarrai thuaidh? I m hearing he s a bit of a Maoist. Going back to basics and losing a lot of the backroom stuff. Injured players doing stats and stuff. Not that I m against that or anything?

He's a smart enough fella. Has assembled a good backroom staff, has cleared out the deadwood (or most of it) and has a decent batch of players in their early 20's who are eager to prove themselves, so prospects are decent for Cork, if not this year then medium term at least. He has brought in stuff like you mentioned, players who won't participate in a given match are told to play with their clubs..this is a huge change from previous management. They are playing with more attacking players and a more fluid and attacking stlye. For a team with such power and potential, some of the football Cork offered in recent years was very unintelligent, this appears to be changing, but summer will test this out ultimately.

Issues they do have include:
- Dual players. Cuthbert went with the flow at the start and said ok..but making noises lately that he could pull the plug after league if it's not working. Surprising that he'd take on the board (board is mainly hurling people) but the results have given him ammo.
- Midfield. Tied into dual issue (Walsh is the go-to man in midfield) but also they need a second midfielder. Have a number of candidates, but the one who was best placed, Deane, did his ACL. Also, Walsh himself has been very hit and miss in past 3 years. Needs to be on top from or they'll struggle.
-Defence. Chronic lack of natural corner backs has seen Cork deploy Noel O'Leary, Kissane, Tom Clancy and others there in recent years..all half backs. Some untested options which will need to be graded before Cork can take on the top teams in Croker. Also finding best position for Shields, probably in half back line ultimately. Cadogan is a major asset when fit, also hurling though.

They have potentially the best forward line in the business. Colm O'Neill, Hurley, Kerrigan, Kelly all top notch players at their best. Goulding is a lethal scorer and freetaker if not on the same level. Young talent like Mark Collins, Cathal Vaughan and Donal Og Hodnett pushing for inclusion aswell.

Would be very wary of meeting Cork this year as they seem to have thrown off the shackles a bit. And have the firepower up front to win any game. They have changed things a bit for this game Sunday and rotated starting team slightly, so depends on whether their defensive tactics work or not. Cronin is not cut out for this level, Colm O'Driscoll either IMO, Dorman and Crowley playing under 21 tomorrow night..If Mayo can target those weak links they'll win.

highorlow

I'll make a bold prediction on this one. It will be that the only negative comments left for people on this site is to say that we have peaked too early. Mayo to win by double figures.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Syferus

Wasn't a fan of Cuthbert's appointment. Seemed very wrong-headed to be head-hunting the new guy from a much-maligned regime.

Cork are benefiting from a lot of the older players calling it a day and the younger lads getting a fair shake but we'll see if their inexperience shows when summer arrives. Hopefully CO'N can survive the season fit and healthy.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on March 12, 2014, 02:34:15 PM
Wasn't a fan of Cuthbert's appointment. Seemed very wrong-headed to be head-hunting the new guy from a much-maligned regime.

Cork are benefiting from a lot of the older players calling it a day and the younger lads getting a fair shake but we'll see if their inexperience shows when summer arrives. Hopefully CO'N can survive the season fit and healthy.

He was there for 1 year only..last year and clearly wasn't going to make any moves until he was in the hotseat himself.

Mayo4Sam

What do u make of John Hayes?
Nice lad but small and let's face it old to be starting at this
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

moysider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 12, 2014, 10:09:52 PM
What do u make of John Hayes?
Nice lad but small and let's face it old to be starting at this

Is that the same John Hayes that was there in the Cork team before? What age is he?

rodney trotter

He is 29, . Back on the panel after a 3 absence.

rosnarun

well manage the first 15 ok , it when the subs come on that mayo could be in trouble ,
some bench that has  all these on it  . have they seen enought for the league and are looking for a way out

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Mayo4Sam

Anyone want to use my season ticket for the match on Sunday, wont be home and could do with the attendance be checked off! PM me if you're interested
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

macdanger2