Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

I'd guess the number of players inconvenienced by playing Friday night instead of Thursday, could be counted on one hand.

Some of the managers might of course find themselves incensed that they've had to rebuild their meticulous programmes so that players are delivered to perfection on Friday evening instead. I've two words for that though: f**k em

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on April 04, 2022, 10:22:35 AM
I'd guess the number of players inconvenienced by playing Friday night instead of Thursday, could be counted on one hand.

Some of the managers might of course find themselves incensed that they've had to rebuild their meticulous programmes so that players are delivered to perfection on Friday evening instead. I've two words for that though: f**k em

That's a typical county board answer. So f~~k players who have made work plans with families, weddings , christenings etc etc 5 days before a league and things get changed, its stupid to think that clubs can just change their senior league opener so close to the throw in. Surely you understand there is a bit of logistics in organising a senior game

thewobbler

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 04, 2022, 10:43:05 AM

That's a typical county board answer. So f~~k players who have made work plans with families, weddings , christenings etc etc 5 days before a league and things get changed, its stupid to think that clubs can just change their senior league opener so close to the throw in. Surely you understand there is a bit of logistics in organising a senior game

You didn't read what I wrote. I said "f**k the managers" and the reason for that is same fellas would have, after losing on Thursday night, complained about players being missing due to county board ineptitude.

——-

Had the county board moved the scheduled fixture list away from their usual slot, to a less convenient date and time, then I'd agree with you.

But what's happened here is the opposite. They've moved a round of fixtures into the usual slot, the most convenient one of the week for footballers.

As I said, I guarantee you can count one one hand the number of players across all 4 divisions who are inconvenienced by this change. What I didn't say, and I possibly should have, is that this is then balanced against the dozens, maybe even hundreds, of players whose week is made easier by a return to their usual Friday night slot.

——

Weddings, christenings etc? You're mad as a box of frogs.

manwithnoplan

A number of games are still to be played on Thursday night.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on April 04, 2022, 10:52:21 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on April 04, 2022, 10:43:05 AM

You didn't read what I wrote. I said "f**k the managers" and the reason for that is same fellas would have, after losing on Thursday night, complained about players being missing due to county board ineptitude.

——-

Had the county board moved the scheduled fixture list away from their usual slot, to a less convenient date and time, then I'd agree with you.

But what's happened here is the opposite. They've moved a round of fixtures into the usual slot, the most convenient one of the week for footballers.

As I said, I guarantee you can count one one hand the number of players across all 4 divisions who are inconvenienced by this change. What I didn't say, and I possibly should have, is that this is then balanced against the dozens, maybe even hundreds, of players whose week is made easier by a return to their usual Friday night slot.

——

Weddings, christenings etc? You're mad as a box of frogs.

No when you said feck the managers you are also saying feck the players . Players have lives out of football. I am sure every team had a  plan over the last few months.  players wives and girlfiends would have been eyeing the friday night up as a night off and a chance to get away

BigRipper89

Down Seniors embarrassing, Under 20's embarrassing, Under 17 embarrassing, laverty no good, James a serial loser etc etc.......

I assume everyone making these comments are down at their clubs all week nights and weekend, ensuring a top of the range development plan is being carried out to ensure the demise of down football is put to a halt. 5/6 nights a week coaching, trying to do something about it; applying for county board roles. Im sure the people making the comments are at every Down game they are commenting on and watching the effort lads are putting into it (never mind the time and effort during the week). About 100 people at the last Down game of the NFL, people only want involved when its going well. Some people coudlnt even give up a hour on a sunny Sunday to watch the team but the management and team give up 2/3 hours for 5 nights a week (every week from December). Wonder would anyone actually try and help instead of hiding behind a keyboard and calling everyone useless.

Targetman

Its a discussion board where people are entitled to give their opinion on all matters regarding Down GAA, the reality is our county's football teams are as bad as they've been for years, last year's u20's showed some promise but fell short when it counted, not too much to be positive about whether you like it or not!

ApresMatch

The notice is short. Underage coaching on pitch needs swapped around etc. That a-side; we get notification the game is Friday. Lads who work shifts change their shifts. We then get word on Sunday night that we're back to Thursday night without being consulted. Lads now wondering wtf is going on. I'm assuming the team we're playing complained about having to play Friday. Bit of a mess!

Johnnysboys

When it was so close to the games - why didn't they just leave it alone. These sort of things make people question the county board. I think U'll find there are more than a handful of players affected by changing nights. Shift work, players in London working, players in Manchester/Liverpool at uni and then as someone else mentioned - underage coaching organised by the club where other parents put their life on hold to ensure their wee boy/girl gets to the sessions on the night they were informed off weeks ago. I know in our club and in Mayobridge/Burren/Ballymartin they do up pitch schedules and stick to them to accommodate all members of their club. Leave it as it was and no one even mentions it.

whitegoodman

Are county players allowed to play on Friday night ?

Mourne Red

Quote from: whitegoodman on April 04, 2022, 09:26:45 PM
Are county players allowed to play on Friday night ?

First two games are starred as far as I know

wobbller

Smurfy123

The starred system is gone

Down players are County players until the season is over

The split season means they will only getting playing for clubs as soon as Down exit the TC

rosskarr

County Board should send out a list of those that are on the various panels and are excluded from League matches.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Johnnysboys on April 04, 2022, 06:15:11 PM
When it was so close to the games - why didn't they just leave it alone. These sort of things make people question the county board. I think U'll find there are more than a handful of players affected by changing nights. Shift work, players in London working, players in Manchester/Liverpool at uni and then as someone else mentioned - underage coaching organised by the club where other parents put their life on hold to ensure their wee boy/girl gets to the sessions on the night they were informed off weeks ago. I know in our club and in Mayobridge/Burren/Ballymartin they do up pitch schedules and stick to them to accommodate all members of their club. Leave it as it was and no one even mentions it.

But do the point not own st Marks school?

Heard from a reliable source that a few players joined the panel, grabbed the gear and left the squad.