tyrone reserve football

Started by HUNKY DORYS, April 14, 2014, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackball

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on April 17, 2014, 12:19:00 PM
Quote from: blackball on April 17, 2014, 12:15:58 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 17, 2014, 12:10:31 PM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on April 17, 2014, 11:19:09 AM
A quick improvement that could be made now would be to have senior matches first and no cancellation of reserve match due to minor or senior county matches.
I think the senior game first would be something worth trialing at least, even if it was only fro a run of 3 or 4 league games to see how it works. if its not workable, then it can always go back to the way it was

How is playing the senior match first first going to improve things?

All players are fresh for the senior game (subs).
Any senior subs that don't get a game can get a full reserve game.
Others who only get a few minutes could also get a game.
Extra hour for reserve players to sober up  :P

Thought we were talking about improving things for reserve footballers, I still dont see how playing the senior game first will do this. I see the benefit of the senior team by doing this as they will have fresh players. But the reserves are in pretty much the same boat if not worse off. what about the supporters who come to watch the games? Whos going to stay and watch the reserve game?

Wee Roddy

The bigger clubs dont have a problem as far as i can see. We had 12 subs for the reserves last we had Coalisland had something similar. In fact our reserve team last week would have gave our senior team a good rattle ;)

Under Lights

Quote from: blackball on April 17, 2014, 01:40:49 PM
A quick improvement that could be made now would be to have senior matches first and no cancellation of reserve match due to minor or senior county matches.
I think the senior game first would be something worth trialing at least, even if it was only fro a run of 3 or 4 league games to see how it works. if its not workable, then it can always go back to the way it was

Thought we were talking about improving things for reserve footballers, I still dont see how playing the senior game first will do this. I see the benefit of the senior team by doing this as they will have fresh players. But the reserves are in pretty much the same boat if not worse off. what about the supporters who come to watch the games? Whos going to stay and watch the reserve game?

It leaves the reserve team stronger as you are not having to hold players off the reserves in case of BC's/injuries in senior game. How are you missing this point?

Stall the Bailer

The men who are subs are reserve footballers, it is a big improvement for them that they are sure too get a game.

I don't see any difference from the supporters point of view.
Currently at the start of reserve matches, there is little support about. At least this way, some might hang about to see some of the reserves and if its a good game will watch to the end.

My other suggestion would have more benefit. No cancelling of games for minors or senior county. This would mean a game every weekend from now to July.

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: Wee Roddy on April 17, 2014, 01:48:47 PM
The bigger clubs dont have a problem as far as i can see. We had 12 subs for the reserves last we had Coalisland had something similar. In fact our reserve team last week would have gave our senior team a good rattle ;)
At the start of the year even small clubs will have good numbers, but with injuries, holidays dropouts etc they will go down.
Last year these division one clubs conceded at least one reserve game. (from tyronegaa.ie results)
Omagh x3
Derrylaughan x5
Killyclogher x3
Trillick x5
Coalisland x3
Greencastle x2
Errigal Ciaran x3
Augher x2
Moy

Some big  clubs among them.

blackball

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on April 17, 2014, 02:03:08 PM

The men who are subs are reserve footballers, it is a big improvement for them that they are sure too get a game.

I don't see any difference from the supporters point of view.
Currently at the start of reserve matches, there is little support about. At least this way, some might hang about to see some of the reserves and if its a good game will watch to the end.

My other suggestion would have more benefit. No cancelling of games for minors or senior county. This would mean a game every weekend from now to July.

usually in the bigger clubs, 3 players are held back for the senior bench, sometimes they get to play the first half of the reserve game sometimes they dont play at all and usually make an appearance for the seniors anyway. Its not like the whole reserve panel is affected by this, its a small minority who probably see themselves more as senior players anyway and are trying to work for a starting place on the senior team. No harm to reserve football but the senior coach is going want to see how they perform at senior level. also what if a sub comes on 10 minutes into the senior game and the reserves are stuck for numbers in the second game, is it fair to ask that player to play another full game? or if the smaller clubs are struggling to field a reserve team do they ask 4 or 5 seniors to play 2 games so they don't have to concede the points? 

Still dont see how this improves the situation. I can see the benefits of playing on different days but cant see how playing the senior game first will help.

I agree that there should be reserve games every week despite what the county team are doing and the reserve league and championship should be finished over the summer.

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: blackball on April 17, 2014, 03:01:41 PM
usually in the bigger clubs, 3 players are held back for the senior bench, sometimes they get to play the first half of the reserve game sometimes they dont play at all and usually make an appearance for the seniors anyway. Its not like the whole reserve panel is affected by this, its a small minority who probably see themselves more as senior players anyway and are trying to work for a starting place on the senior team. No harm to reserve football but the senior coach is going want to see how they perform at senior level. also what if a sub comes on 10 minutes into the senior game and the reserves are stuck for numbers in the second game, is it fair to ask that player to play another full game? or if the smaller clubs are struggling to field a reserve team do they ask 4 or 5 seniors to play 2 games so they don't have to concede the points? 

Still dont see how this improves the situation. I can see the benefits of playing on different days but cant see how playing the senior game first will help.

I agree that there should be reserve games every week despite what the county team are doing and the reserve league and championship should be finished over the summer.

Having the seniors first means you know exactly how many players are available for a full reserve game.
A lot club take reserve players off during the game so they can make the senior bench. Having it second will mean they get a full reserve game.
You can use 6 subs now.
Most senior sub benches will have 10 players or so to cover all eventuallites.
Depending on clubs this 10 will currently be made of players where some got game time/no game time or a full reserve game.

If the senior goalie gets injured with his first kick out, the reserve keeper will have to play two full games.
Or if you use your 3 held back subs early on the 4th may have played a full game already a be introduced for another half.

Knowing exactly how much game time subs got in seniors will make it easier to see if you can field a reserve team.

blackball

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on April 17, 2014, 04:19:56 PM
Quote from: blackball on April 17, 2014, 03:01:41 PM

Having the seniors first means you know exactly how many players are available for a full reserve game- you know that anyway, surly the senior team will be picked before hand.

A lot club take reserve players off during the game so they can make the senior bench. Having it second will mean they get a full reserve game- Not necessarily depends how long they get on in the senior game, could see them asking only to play a half if they are sore/stiff from the senior game.

You can use 6 subs now.

Most senior sub benches will have 10 players or so to cover all eventuallites.
Depending on clubs this 10 will currently be made of players where some got game time/no game time or a full reserve game- Most senior teams have 3 or 4 players who can make a differnce when they come on, the rest are there as a last resort.

If the senior goalie gets injured with his first kick out, the reserve keeper will have to play two full games.- senior keeper getting injured in the first kick out! not gonna be an issue most weeks!!!

Or if you use your 3 held back subs early on the 4th may have played a full game already a be introduced for another half. unlikely to be an issue!

Knowing exactly how much game time subs got in seniors will make it easier to see if you can field a reserve team. I thought you would know
"Having the seniors first means you know exactly how many players are available for a full reserve game"

Christmas Lights

What are you doing Blackball? 
Most people in here are saying to play the reserve game after the senior game as it means anyone who doesnt play the senior game or only gets a bit part can play a full game of football thereafter.  Most teams will hold 2 or 3 players from the reserve team to keep them fresh on the senior bench.  Ive been involved in squads where I have been held for the senior team on the bench and ended up not getting any game time at all.  I can tell you that you dont leave the ground a happy person as you have trained 3-4 nights a week and got no football at the weekend whereas the boy who has trained once that week or maybe not even has played a full hour football.

Playing the reserve game second prevents this sort of thing from happening.  As someone said, its probably an immediate fix.  In the longer term, I like the idea of that East West D1/D2 thing.  No reason we cant adopt similar league formats from other counties where it seems to work.

blackball

I agree that changing the format is a good idea, but it would be a better 'quick fix' to play reserve games during the week over the summer rather than playing them after a senior game on Sunday. Just my opinion dont expect everyone to agree with it. Is there any other counties that play reserve games after senior games on a Sunday?? we would then know if this format works. I dont know of too many counties that do it this way and I am sure they have better brains working on it than we have in this forum. Problem here is everyone thinks their opinion is the only one that matters and they cant be questioned! must be a lot of referees post on here! lol

Stall the Bailer

My prefered option would be to play them on a Saturday evening.

HUNKY DORYS

This is a tricky subject, there are genuinely 4 or 5 players that tog out for reserves that are real contenders for starting place on the seniors. So this being the case. How do you put for a reserve panel for a separate league. But ideally that would be my choice as it puts a new dimension on reserve football and especially on d1 the top 5 teams could compete in d3 or d2 on any given day. A match I was involved in 5/6 years ago reserve quarter final between ardboe and errigle.. Was a awesome game to watch and play in. 80% who played that day for both teams have had seasons on their senior teams.
Seperate leagues  would be a great idea but for those 4/5 players pushing on May play less football and then go backwards if they were only allowed to play seniors.

Under Lights

Two games in Division 1 conceded yesterday. One in D3. Early in the year for that.

blackball

Crazy that there are senior clubs that cant field a reserve team 3 weeks before the championship! If their squad is that weak its hard to see them winning their first round game or staying up.

Under Lights

Three games in D3 conceded last weekend. One in D1. D2 holding strong.