County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: thewobbler on September 18, 2023, 09:34:33 PM
Based in his last 5 years at Tyrone, Mickey is not the man to give Derry the attacking freedom and confidence to climb the last hurdle or two.

They're more likely to implode than explode from here I reckon.

Derry currently are a better team than thr last 5 years of teams Harte managed at Tyrone. Remains to seen how he does with Derry as All-Ireland semi final could already be their ceiling regardless of manager.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Itchy on September 18, 2023, 10:02:38 PM
Shocked that Derry would let a Tyrone man in to manage them. Kind of shocked by the way Harte dumped Louth too.

Doubt the county he's from came into the Derry county board thinking when he's a manager with a CV filled with All Irelands won.   How more could he have brought Louth? took them on in Div 4 and left them in Div 2 which included a 3rd place finish this year.  He's 71 now and this is last chance for another big gig.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

thewobbler

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 18, 2023, 10:03:45 PM
Based in his last 5 years at Tyrone, Mickey is not the man to give Derry the attacking freedom and confidence to climb the last hurdle or two.

Derry currently are a better team than thr last 5 years of teams Harte managed at Tyrone. Remains to seen how he does with Derry as All-Ireland semi final could already be their ceiling regardless of manager.
Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 18, 2023, 10:03:45 PM

There's a wee touch of revisionism in what you're saying.

Tyrone won Ulster in 16 and 17 and got to the AI final in 18.

But my take on those last few years is that Tyrone looked shackled by a manager fully immersed in mistake free, safety first football.

I really don't think that's what Derry needs now.

From the Bunker

Ah, you'd have to be disappointed with getting Harte.

You look at all these Managers who have success, drift into mediocrity, get sacked (or resign) and then come back.
Time, tactics and energy are not the same.

Tyrone in Hartes final years were unbelievably boring and negative. That group would never had won an AI if he was at the helm in 2021. In the same vein the 03, 05, 08 All Irelands would not have been won without Harte. Although, more AI titles could have been won had he given less attention to his obsession of the McKenna Cup.

Wildweasel74

They not make a final in them last 5yrs.

Itchy

Mickey Graham gone to Leitrim as Assistant Manager to Andy Moran. Also bizarre

Silver hill

Quote from: Itchy on September 18, 2023, 11:04:03 PMMickey Graham gone to Leitrim as Assistant Manager to Andy Moran. Also bizarre

Bills still have to be paid itchy!

trailer

Harte to Derry. As the religious zealot he is he will be familiar with the character Judas in the Bible. Who would've thought he would become one.
He always was banging on about tradition in the GAA. Where's his when it comes to community, volunteerism. He has thrashed what was left of his legacy in Tyrone.

Derry need to ask themselves how will they cope with the football being even more boring and negative than under RG?
How will Derry players take to being forced to go to Mass? 

His last years in Tyrone showed that football had evolved and he hadn't.

He's a persona non grata.

Hat tip to Louth GAA who absolutely lit Harte on fire with their statement.

seafoid

Quote from: thewobbler on September 18, 2023, 09:34:33 PMBased in his last 5 years at Tyrone, Mickey is not the man to give Derry the attacking freedom and confidence to climb the last hurdle or two.

At Christmas 1992 Eamonn Coleman knew that he had the players Derry needed to win the All Ireland even if nobody else did.

The team was a collection of leaders and winners. People from other counties still remember them. Downey (Henry) Tohill, Scullion, Brolly, McGurk, Gormley.

It's not clear that  the problem this year was the manager
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eire90

I did not think he would ever manage another team in ulster as he would be more likely to play against tyrone.

blasmere

Quote from: seafoid on September 19, 2023, 08:35:10 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 18, 2023, 09:34:33 PMBased in his last 5 years at Tyrone, Mickey is not the man to give Derry the attacking freedom and confidence to climb the last hurdle or two.

At Christmas 1992 Eamonn Coleman knew that he had the players Derry needed to win the All Ireland even if nobody else did.

The team was a collection of leaders and winners. People from other counties still remember them. Downey (Henry) Tohill, Scullion, Brolly, McGurk, Gormley.

It's not clear that  the problem this year was the manager

A leader in that team, really?
McKeever and McGilligan were but not their clubmate Brolly, decent but probably not a leader.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

Rossfan

I'd suspect like Rochford in the other place Micky will be the real manager.
The Ros man not cutting it in Laythrum.
Quote from: Itchy on September 18, 2023, 11:04:03 PMMickey Graham gone to Leitrim as Assistant Manager to Andy Moran. Also bizarre
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tbrick18

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 18, 2023, 10:19:00 PM
Quote from: Itchy on September 18, 2023, 10:02:38 PMShocked that Derry would let a Tyrone man in to manage them. Kind of shocked by the way Harte dumped Louth too.
Sure they had Brian McIver.

Who was a major reason behind the freefall to Div 4 and the crisis in Derry county.
As manager he was a disaster.
As Director of Football he was an absolute disaster....and cost us a lot of money in a salary.

I'm still in shock that Harte is in though.

bennydorano

Quote from: trailer on September 19, 2023, 08:21:18 AMHarte to Derry. As the religious zealot he is he will be familiar with the character Judas in the Bible. Who would've thought he would become one.
He always was banging on about tradition in the GAA. Where's his when it comes to community, volunteerism. He has thrashed what was left of his legacy in Tyrone.

Derry need to ask themselves how will they cope with the football being even more boring and negative than under RG?
How will Derry players take to being forced to go to Mass? 

His last years in Tyrone showed that football had evolved and he hadn't.

He's a persona non grata.

Hat tip to Louth GAA who absolutely lit Harte on fire with their statement.

I've always thought that Harte felt he was judased by Tyrone County Board funny enough. It'll be interesting to see what he does with a team that are top quality, although still very much lightweight upfront and a McGuigan injury away from dropping down the pecking order imo.