County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 24, 2022, 11:15:57 AM
QuoteThe Irish News understands that former Dublin coach Sherlock, current Ballymun Kickham's and ex-Westmeath manager Brendan Hackett, and outgoing Monaghan minor boss Mark Counihan were all interviewed in the early part of last week.

But having gone through the process, The Irish News understands that Sherlock and Hackett both withdrew their names over the weekend while Counihan was informed that he had not been given the job.

Sounds like a complete disaster of a process.

You'd have to wonder what the hell happened.
Did the two withdraw their names before or after Counihan was informed that he was not being given the job?

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rudi on August 25, 2022, 02:19:12 PM
Shaun Paul Barrett  & Malachy O Rourke only candidates for Donegal job. Ouchies.

Would seem like a good fit.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rudi

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 25, 2022, 03:12:29 PM
Quote from: Rudi on August 25, 2022, 02:19:12 PM
Shaun Paul Barrett  & Malachy O Rourke only candidates for Donegal job. Ouchies.

Would seem like a good fit.

Yeah but the alternative.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2022/0823/1318320-possibilities-abound-as-mcstay-swims-to-native-shore/

Four years on from ending his tenure as Roscommon boss and saying that was that with regard to inter-county management, McStay, now aged 60, has left behind the pundits chair for another go at management. As an analyst he was often quite forensic in getting his point across. There is no doubt he'll bring the same rigour to the role of trying to drive Mayo on.

With the Rossies, he had, as he outlined in his book 'The Pressure Game, Walking the Walk on the County Sideline' to contend with the "online gobshites", who passed comment on him and his team. More of those 'observers' are probably lying in wait to pass their judgement at the first sight of something controversial.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Probably reading stolensheep. He's too much a 'Rhu' as Rossfan likes to call us for their liking.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Blowitupref

Look like McStay will need to win Sam for Mayo to avoid such "online gobshites" .

Former Mayo player John Casey comments last year after the All-Ireland final defeat to Tyrone.

I think it is absolutely disgraceful to the highest degree, and particularly on the back of the amateur sports status.

"What people have to put themselves through to get to that level; nobody goes out to make mistakes.

"I know Robbie Hennelly was in a bad way after his final nightmare a few years ago.

"And my feeling is that in the current climate when health and wellbeing are foremost in people's thoughts, for a human being to have a cut at a person over a game of football is a disgrace.

"Are you telling me those players aren't hurt enough without having to read that bullshit?

"That is the part that galls me. Those players will be in a desperate place. I have been there and I know what it feels like. It took me months and months to get over that final in 1996.

"You are laying blame on yourself; I have never watched the video but you get flashbacks of mistakes you made that could have altered the result."

The Mayo GAA statement hailed the 'great progress' made by the side in the 2021 Championship but criticised the online abuse.

It read: "Constructive criticism forms part of the narrative of our games, however, unfortunately over the last few days there have been a number of personal attacks on both players and team management that are completely unnecessary and unacceptable to all involved with Mayo GAA.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

I can't find the Irish Times article from when he jumped ship in Ros but the gist of it was that the game had developed beyond his skillset. I am very surprised that he took on a very sensitive post.  Maybe there is a secret store of scoring forwards somewhere in Erris.

Football power goes in cycles and Mayo had the province to themselves for the guts of a decade. That is no longer the case with 3 Connacht teams in D1. If the Rossies get a decent manager Mayo could even be third in the regional pecking order.
Counties used to the top  table can fall quite a way back. Everyone in Galway knows that.

Mayo are looking at a big transition. Maybe that is his job.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 26, 2022, 11:34:14 PM
Probably reading stolensheep. He's too much a 'Rhu' as Rossfan likes to call us for their liking.

He can Rhu all he likes but his children support Ros💛💙
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on August 27, 2022, 09:28:49 AM

And his Father and Mother supported Galway! Dad played for Tuam Stars!

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2022, 08:47:52 AM
I can't find the Irish Times article from when he jumped ship in Ros but the gist of it was that the game had developed beyond his skillset. I am very surprised that he took on a very sensitive post.  Maybe there is a secret store of scoring forwards somewhere in Erris.

Football power goes in cycles and Mayo had the province to themselves for the guts of a decade. That is no longer the case with 3 Connacht teams in D1. If the Rossies get a decent manager Mayo could even be third in the regional pecking order.
Counties used to the top  table can fall quite a way back. Everyone in Galway knows that.

Mayo are looking at a big transition. Maybe that is his job.

Don't recall him saying that. Lack of resources Roscommon had seem to take a strain on him and looking at the management team behind him now it doesn't look like he'll have the same issues with Mayo.

In the Irish Times the other day McStay said the rebuild, transition has already been done under Horan. It's about pushing on now.

Cunny Funt

Westmeath the latest looking for a new manager. A blow as they were making decent progress under Cooney.

weareros

I thought the long press release after he left Ros was McStay controlling the narrative in the media. He is good at that. It was a master stroke to apply for the Mayo position via the media. He left the county board that had treated him shabbily in the past cornered. His back room team was now out there and it was impressive. In truth if he stayed on with Ros for another year, he was losing a good portion of the panel, but it became a story of resources and manager even using his own credit card. Not saying that wasn't true and it is certainly not a level playing field. But that became the narrative and he was leaving county management for good.  Truth is we'd got walloped in a our Super 8s games, including a 24 point beating to Tyrone in Croke Park and lads were opting out. By the time we were well beaten by 7 points by Donegal in the Hyde and McStay was hopping the ball off the linesman's head, the game was well up. But he crafted a great narrative for his exit in fairness, and the lure now of finally getting a chance to manage his native county (not counting his disastrous and forgotten time as a coach) is a great narrative too. Hopefully if things start going south, no ex Mayo player complains about a "Roscommon man" on sideline! That might require Marty and some cameras in a rain sodden Castlebar.   

Blowitupref

Paddy Christie the new Manager of Longford footballers. James Glancy,Dessie Sloyan part of his management.

seafoid

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 27, 2022, 04:10:12 PM
Westmeath the latest looking for a new manager. A blow as they were making decent progress under Cooney.

well done to him. a very interesting and important job.
He was very impressive in interviews during the Tailteann Cup.
They will probably get his replacement in house to keep the buzz going.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on August 27, 2022, 09:28:49 AM

My cousins have similar troubles.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.