County Nick Names

Started by Dinny Breen, February 08, 2007, 03:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Lar, I'll send an email as well. A few separate requests for the same information may get it to the top of the queue. Do you have an emai address handy?

Then it's a case of remembering to listen in.

misterroscommonman

mayo shud be da bog county cos its all a bog!!! ;D

Lar Naparka

"Lar, I'll send an email as well. A few separate requests for the same information may get it to the top of the queue. Do you have an emai address handy?"

Yes, the address is; afternoon@newstalk.ie and the phone number is given also; it is: 01 6445109
I might just give a ring to see if Terry can explain the term "latchiko," we seem to have a prime example of this very phenomenon running around the board at the moment.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 13, 2007, 08:36:07 PM
"Lar, I'll send an email as well. A few separate requests for the same information may get it to the top of the queue. Do you have an emai address handy?"

Yes, the address is; afternoon@newstalk.ie and the phone number is given also; it is: 01 6445109
I might just give a ring to see if Terry can explain the term "latchiko," we seem to have a prime example of this very phenomenon running around the board at the moment.

'Latchiko' I always associated that word with a boistrous young fella. My Dad uses that word often when talking to me about me if ye know what I mean!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Shamrock Shore

I fondly remember boisterous lads referred to as 'knuicks' or 'heverils'.

Well a knuick was actually more of a cnut to be honest. Heveril was more of a lad.

Also has anyone, instead of saying 'against' said 'forninst' - as in 'he stood with his back forninst the wall'

And who now 'pegs' things in the bin?

And does anyones else's D4 accented daughter slag their Da over their Lawngford axcint?

Lar Naparka

'Latchiko' I always associated that word with a boistrous young fella. My Dad uses that word often when talking to me about me if ye know what I mean!

I sure do! ;D
I heard the same term under the same circumstances and it wasn't one of affection either.
It was used more to express exasperation at the victim's clumsiness or lack of sense than anything else.
Shamrock Shore uses a few terms I recall from my childhood days with the exception of "heveril", which is a new one for me.
"Knuck" was a common term in East Mayo when I was growing up; it was preferable to be labelled a "knuck" than a "latchiko" but given the choice I'd have preferred neither.
In our use of the word, "knuck" meant more of a mischievous or troublesome and cheeky young gent but it was still a step above latchiko- that was the pits altogether.
Incidentally the word knuck was a tricky one to pronounce; the "kn" had a "nagh" sound like the latter part of the word Ballinagh in County Cavan, if you know what I mean.
Pegging instead of throwing is still used in East Mayo- at least people would understand it if you used it in incidental conversation.
"Forninst" is one I'd know the meaning of but I don't   think I ever heard it in general use.
At any rate, I've emailed Sean Moncrieff  and I hope Terry Dolan gives us the lowdown on the word "Cuchie" next Monday.

Armagh4SamAgain

Sounds like u were talking Ulster-scots and u didnt even no it!
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Maroon Heaven

Kinnegad were the origional Slashers.

Billys Boots

As far as I recall a 'Heveril' was a changeling.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Farrandeelin

'Don't be pegging stones!'

That was a favourite of my late grandmother whenever we used be throwing stones at the birds or anything else that moved.

Lar Naparka

Sounds like u were talking Ulster-scots and u didnt even no it!Good point!

Many of the words and terms used in East and North Mayo do have an Ulster origin. As an Armagh person you will know that the Battle of the Diamond, near Loughgall, was fought in 1795.
After the battle a wave of Protestant attacks on Catholic homes and properties ensued and many Catholic families were forced to move westward, many settling in the area around Charlestown, some in Sligo and others in mayo.
Another large group found new homes in North Mayo.
That's why you find a large number of people today with names of Ulster origin living in those areas (Henry, Gallagher, Doherty, McNulty etc.) and I suppose it's natural to assume that they brought  an element of Ulster sayings with them.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 14, 2007, 03:50:52 PM
Sounds like u were talking Ulster-scots and u didnt even no it!Good point!

Many of the words and terms used in East and North Mayo do have an Ulster origin. As an Armagh person you will know that the Battle of the Diamond, near Loughgall, was fought in 1795.

Ahh Lar you are a nice person but you credit this eejit with brains which he doth not possess!!!  ;)
Tbc....

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 13, 2007, 10:28:43 PM
I fondly remember boisterous lads referred to as 'knuicks' or 'heverils'.

Well a knuick was actually more of a cnut to be honest. Heveril was more of a lad.

"Haverel" to me implies someone fairly uncouth and uncultured as well as mouthy. I could name names but not if I ever wanted to go home again :)

From the dictionary:

http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/50103293?single=1&query_type=word&queryword=haverel&first=1&max_to_show=10

'haverel

Sc. and north. dial.

Allso -al, -il, haivrel. [f. HAVER v.]

1. One who 'havers' or talks without sense.
a1818 MACNEILL Poems (1844) 105 Gley'd Sawnie, the haivrel. 1825 BROCKETT N.C. Gloss. s.v., 'Parfitly redicclous is that haveril there.' 1871 CARLYLE in Mrs. Carlyle's Lett. II. 103 Their only child 'Bett', a loud haveril of a lass.

2. attrib. or adj. Given to havering or foolish idle chattering.
a1774 FERGUSSON Drink Eclogue 90 Ye haveril Scot! 1785 BURNS Halloween 32 Poor hav'rel Will fell aff the drift. 1842 MRS. CARLYLE Lett. I. 176 A good-hearted, rattling, clever haveral sort of woman.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

ONeill

Is it fernenst you mean, as in fernenst the wall? Leaning on the wall.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Farrandeelin

Thanks for that education lesson Lar. I was always wondering why there were so much Gallaghers, Sweeneys and Dohertys aorund about the Knockmore area with their Ulster origins.