Donegal v Mayo

Started by Redgreenery, February 04, 2007, 10:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Bod Mor on February 06, 2007, 04:59:00 AM
Is that Doherty lad that was playing for Sligo IT featuring for Donegal in the league? He sounds like a real prospect.
Don't think Mayo will beat Donegal this weekend, Donegal are flying at the moment and as someone said they have already beaten Armagh this year.

Yes Doherty played against Cork, didn't really get into the game, but a great prospect with a few games under his jersey.
Tbc....

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on February 07, 2007, 11:49:15 PM
Is that Doherty lad that was playing for Sligo IT featuring for Donegal in the league? He sounds like a real prospect.
Don't think Mayo will beat Donegal this weekend, Donegal are flying at the moment and as someone said they have already beaten Armagh this year.

Yes Doherty played against Cork, didn't really get into the game, but a great prospect with a few games under his jersey.

We didn't get a proper look at him last year due to the injury, but is his form against Down or Derry more typical?

He's an excellent free taker, but will that be enough to earn him his place, with Devenney and McFadden back on the scene?

From the Bunker

Donegal and Mayo Had similar Ghosts to banish last weekend. Donegal handed Cork an AI semi final last year. Even Morgan in his post match interview said so and with another tie with Kerry to come he looked as if he would have been happy with his Munster title and a narrow loss to an ULSTER team. Mayo, well we all know that annual story. Anyway With the divisional changes who ever comes out with the points out of this tie will have the balls of the work done to secure league status and will be licking their lips at possible League KO later.

Cllr Willie Power

It sounds like Kilcullen is our answer at full back.

Bit early for statements like that Bod....

Redgreenery

QuoteBallybofey, 1.30pm: Donegal v Mayo

Donegal and Mayo both heightened their league ambitions with not inconsiderable victories over Cork and Kerry respectively last weekend and a victory for either at Ballybofey on Sunday could see a real title contender emerge.

The Tir Chonaill men came from behind against 13-man Cork to take the points, despite seeing Brendan Devenney sent off, and their confidence will be high for this clash with the All-Ireland runners-up.

Mayo were less taxed for their win over the side that destroyed them in last September's All-Ireland final. Kerry were there for the taking and boss John O'Mahony would be foolish to think that that win - which was secured by a late Pat Harte goal - will be easy to follow up.

Derby games like this are always hard to call, but with their extra physical approach, Donegal may just be able to close down the Westerners in a better fashion than Kerry achieved last weekend.

If so, they should take the points - just, but it will be a tight affair and with a McKenna Cup final also in their sights, the hosts will be loathe to lose any players.

VERDICT: Donegal
DONEGAL TEAM: TBC
MAYO TEAM: TBC

I'm a bit surprised to see Donegal as favourites, but then again I havent seen them play and it sounds like they have a good team as do Mayo.

Mayo Mick

Donegal are a team we could come up against in the later stages of the c'ship this year so lessons learned on Sunday will be as important as result.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

stephenite

Unchanged Mayo team named

Bod Mor

Quote from: stephenite on February 09, 2007, 03:30:35 AM
Unchanged Mayo tram named

Thats not a good sign at all, or is it. I mean how is O'Mahony going to experiment if he's not actually going to experiment?
I would really like to see Kilcoyne start, I think he needs to be blooded now.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

stephenite

With the new leagues kicking next year, it is imperative that we survive in Division 1. Johnno will not want his second year starting off in Division 2. Experiment away after we know we're safe, until than, best available 15 every week.

Bod Mor

Wouldn't be bad starting off his second year in Division 2 with Sam under his belt  ;)
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

StoneWall

MAYO (SF v Donegal) - D Clarke; L O'Malley, J Kilcullen, K Higgins; D Heaney, BJ Padden, P Gardiner; P Harte, D Brady; A Moran, T Mortimer, A Dillon; C Mortimer, K O'Neill, A O'Malley.

rosnarun

i think we found out to our fustation last year how muc you can experiment without chaging personell remember the nut?
may be he trying to find a style 1st and then fit the players into it. last year was chais at time s looking shi£ while doing the nut and then abandoing it it and winning the games
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

baoithe

Quote from: rosnarun on February 09, 2007, 12:00:06 PM
i think we found out to our fustation last year how muc you can experiment without chaging personell remember the nut?
may be he trying to find a style 1st and then fit the players into it. last year was chais at time s looking shi£ while doing the nut and then abandoing it it and winning the games

What is this new tongue you speak with?

Lar Naparka

I think it makes sense to name an unchanged side.
By now Johnno must have some idea of his first choice personnel and of the style of play he wants them to adopt. One of the positives from last Sunday's match was the success of Jimmy Kilcullen and BJP in their new roles.  Another was the way the corner backs, O'Malley especially, were quick to scoop up loose ball when Kilcullen broke it down in his aerial tussles with Quirke.
He has made minimal positional changes involving Harte, Heaney and Andy Moran and I can see some logic in this switching about – I don't see a compelling reason to replace any of them. The full forward line was playing together as a unit for the first time and they need another chance to get their acts together.
I imagine he feels that the need for wholesale changes and tinkering about is over.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

J70

Three changes for Donegal: Neil McGee, Rory Kavanagh and Michael Doherty out, Neil Gallagher, Paddy Campbell and Rory Bradley in.

From the Donegal website:           

Pol O'Durcain                          Na Ceithre Maistri        Paul Durcan

Tomas O'Donnchu                   Naomh Conaill             Thomas Donoghue

Padraig O Cathmhaoill              Naomh Conaill             Paddy Campbell

Carol De Lasa                          Na Ceithre Maistri        Karl Lacy

Eamann Mac Aoidh                  Gaoth Dobhair              Eamon McGee

Barri O'Muineachain                Na Ceithre Maistri        Barry Monaghan

Barri O'Duinin                          Na Ceithre Maistri        Barry Dunnion

Caoimhin O'Casaide                Gaoth Dobhair              Kevin Cassidy

Nial O'Gallchoir                       Gleann Sulai                 Neil Gallagher (Capt)

Christoir O'Tuaith                     Naomh Michael            Christy Toye

Ciaran O'Cnaimhsi                   Gleann Sulai                  Ciaran Bonner

Brian O'Ropier                         Aodh Ruadh                 Brian Roper

Caoimhin Mac Meanman          An Tearmon                 Kevin McMenamin

Brendán O'Duibheannaigh        Naomh Adhamhain       Brendan Devenney

Rian O'Brolchain                      Buncrannaigh                Ryan Bradley