Co-operation appreciated

Started by The Bottom Brick, January 19, 2007, 08:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What level of knowledge do you have of handball?

Played the game a little
24 (30.8%)
Played the game competitively
14 (17.9%)
Heard about it but don't know much
21 (26.9%)
Know practically nothing
13 (16.7%)
Just know people who play it
6 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 74

The Bottom Brick

Lads there's a handball survey going on at present, I'd appreciate it if you could click the releveant option in the above box.

There are efforts in place at the minute to increase the profile and it would be beneficial to get an idea of the level of interest/knowledge out there

33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Handball Ace

Played the game competitively from U14 to adult

David McKeown

I have played a little but not in this country.  My university in Texas were big into it and I played it there
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

BallyhaiseMan

played it during my time in St Pats Cavan...No Competitions,just recreationally at Lunch and break times when we couldnt find a football.

realredhandfan

Id love to know the rules and from what I can see Handball could play a bigger part as a sport in the future and rounders actually as well.

Rollout

Took it up when i was in college. Play competitively now. Best sport I've ever played.
http://cavan.handball.gaa.ie

The Ulster Handball Open 2007

The Bottom Brick

It seems there are a lot of folks on here who have played handball or have a basic knowledge of the sport.

So what was it that stopped everyone keeping the game on?
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Lar Naparka

I come from east Mayo, where handball was the dominant sport when I was growing up. Every town and major crossroads had at least a three-wall alley and it was the favourite gathering place for boys and girls on Sunday afternoons. The vast majority of us played the game for recreation and there was little or no an organised structure or games of a competitive nature.
I moved to Dublin in the late 60s and more or less gravitated to Croke Park and the famous old stone alley. I played with the Naomh Padraig handball club for many years and I really enjoyed them all. I managed to win a couple of Dublin Intermediates in the mid 80s and played on the Senior League side for a good few seasons as well but was never motivated enough to take the game too seriously.
I would still, at 57, be playing away quite happily but about a decade ago I began to be troubled with arthritis and had to lay off playing.
I really loved the game and would recommend it to any one both as a means of staying fit and for the craic I always enjoyed as part of the Dublin handball scene.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

lynchbhoy

played it in school where I was rubbish at it.
There were no handball alleys in the locality I lived in - not that I know of anyhow
so I didnt play it any further.
There is an alley at my local club and indeed one of Irelands top handballers is from the club

Handball Ace

St Brigid's is it?

Kennedy is one of the best in the world, and the best Irish 60x30 player at the minute...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Handball Ace on January 22, 2007, 01:06:08 PM
St Brigid's is it?
Kennedy is one of the best in the world, and the best Irish 60x30 player at the minute...

Yep - he's been very successful this past couple of years alright.

Maximus Marillius

Quoteplayed it in school where I was rubbish at it.
There were no handball alleys in the locality I lived in - not that I know of anyhow

Not surprised to hear that you were crap at it Lynchboy....I suppose you were to yellow... to scared that hard ball would hurt your hand ;)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 22, 2007, 01:17:39 PM
Quoteplayed it in school where I was rubbish at it.

Not surprised to hear that you were crap at it Lynchboy....I suppose you were to yellow... to scared that hard ball would hurt your hand ;)
probably !

Handball Ace

Would you ever go to watch him playing in one of the big matches in Croker or Kingscourt?

Him against Brady is one of the best matches there is, because Kennedy is a tactical genius, amazing defence while brady is just an all out attacking gunslinger - an immovable object meeting an irresistable force if ever there was one.

Kennedy used to get the upperhand but Brady has dragged the game to a new level in the last three years.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Handball Ace on January 22, 2007, 01:36:25 PM
Would you ever go to watch him playing in one of the big matches in Croker or Kingscourt?

Him against Brady is one of the best matches there is, because Kennedy is a tactical genius, amazing defence while brady is just an all out attacking gunslinger - an immovable object meeting an irresistable force if ever there was one.

Kennedy used to get the upperhand but Brady has dragged the game to a new level in the last three years.

if time were my own, and I had enough notification about this - then yes I would.

right now the publicity is not there.