13. David Clifford (Kerry)

14. Damien Comer (Galway)

15. Conor McManus (Monaghan)

BennyCake

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on September 04, 2018, 04:55:16 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 03, 2018, 10:06:20 PM
Quote from: lenny on September 03, 2018, 09:59:55 PM
My team:
1. S Cluxton 2. Eoghan B Gallagher 3. J Cooper 4. M McKernan 5 R McHugh 6. K O'Connell 7. J McCaffrey 8. B Fenton 9. J McCarthy 10. S Walsh 11. C Kilkenny 12. B Howard 13. D Clifford 14. D Flynn 15 C McManus

Only one for the beaten finalists?

And if Rory Beggan doesn't get it over the hugely overrated Cluxton, it'll be a disgrace.

Can you explain how Cluxton is hugely overrated?

Anything he seems to do is magnified as some otherworldly deed.

Knocking the ball to the corner back is hardly worthy of so much praise. Rory Beggan is vastly superior.

Syferus

Quote from: BennyCake on September 04, 2018, 11:59:11 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on September 04, 2018, 04:55:16 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 03, 2018, 10:06:20 PM
My team:
1. S Cluxton 2. Eoghan B Gallagher 3. J Cooper 4. M McKernan 5 R McHugh 6. K O'Connell 7. J McCaffrey 8. B Fenton 9. J McCarthy 10. S Walsh 11. C Kilkenny 12. B Howard 13. D Clifford 14. D Flynn 15 C McManus

Only one for the beaten finalists?

And if Rory Beggan doesn't get it over the hugely overrated Cluxton, it'll be a disgrace.

Can you explain how Cluxton is hugely overrated?

Anything he seems to do is magnified as some otherworldly deed.

Knocking the ball to the corner back is hardly worthy of so much praise. Rory Beggan is vastly superior.

Back to bedroom sleep it off for you.

thewobbler

I'm guessing his next act is to remind us that the vastly overrated Federer is no match for Andy Murray, followed by a clarification that Usain Bolt might have all the medals, but he wasn't that quick.

Sometimes things in life should just be too obvious to argue with. Cluxton's performance levels have made him a clear contender for an All Star every year for nearly 15 years, and the accuracy of his kick outs singlehandedly changed the role of goalkeeper forever. He's not overrated. He's the greatest keeper of all time by a distance.

Rory Beggan being able to kick a ball farther than any known human being doesn't change this.

oakleaflad

Quote from: thewobbler on September 05, 2018, 08:39:57 AM
I'm guessing his next act is to remind us that the vastly overrated Federer is no match for Andy Murray, followed by a clarification that Usain Bolt might have all the medals, but he wasn't that quick.

Sometimes things in life should just be too obvious to argue with. Cluxton's performance levels have made him a clear contender for an All Star every year for nearly 15 years, and the accuracy of his kick outs singlehandedly changed the role of goalkeeper forever. He's not overrated. He's the greatest keeper of all time by a distance.

Rory Beggan being able to kick a ball farther than any known human being doesn't change this.
Cluxton is the best keeper of all time but he hasn't been the best this year. I think Beggan has been quite a bit better this year to be honest but may be hindered by the fact that his last decision in this years championship was his worst.

imtommygunn

Cluxton has dramatically changed the game (at county level anyway - maybe higher level club too). What Beggan does (and I think Beggan deserves the all star) has been shaped by how Cluxton changed the game. Kickout strategies are now one of the major tactical battles in the game (and were again on sunday with the poor morgan kickout starting the rot).

The only other player, in my view, who changed the game so much was Brian Dooher. I think he moulded the "modern" half forward.

Cluxton kicked maybe 2 out of play on sunday but even with hitting a few poor kickouts, and given stats on winning possession he clearly didn't hit many more, none of his poor kickouts had a significant impact on the game. Other goalies can't hit this level of consistency at all.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: hardstation on September 03, 2018, 10:05:37 PM
My team:
Pretty much spot on apart from McKernan. Would replace him with McMahon.
So none for the beaten finalists then?  ???

Hampsey is a cert for me.
Mckernan had a good break through year, but hadnt a good final, so will miss out
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

BennyCake

Beggan is a better all round keeper. The only reason he doesn't get the credit is because Monaghan aren't winning AI's.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 04, 2018, 07:13:06 PM
Peter Canavan's Team of the Year:

1. Rory Beggan (Monaghan)

2. Jonny Cooper (Dublin)

3. Pádraig Hampsey (Tyrone)

4. Drew Wylie (Monaghan)

5. James McCarthy (Dublin)

6. Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone)

7. Jack McCaffrey (Dublin)

8. Brian Fenton (Dublin)

9. Brian Howard (Dublin)

10. Paul Mannion (Dublin)

11. Ciarán Kilkenny (Dublin)

12. Ryan McHugh (Donegal)

Comer wasn't even Galway's best ffs. Such an over-rated player, still just a big lump, who has now developed the ability to go down with the slightest touch. Dan Flynn who scored probably the 2 goals of the championship, 3 if you include his one against Fermanagh, would be ahead of him for me for one.
#newbridgeornowhere

JoG2

Quote from: BennyCake on September 05, 2018, 09:48:02 AM

Beggan is a better all round keeper. The only reason he doesn't get the credit is because Monaghan aren't winning AI's.

you're losing the run of yourself here. Beggan gets huge credit, and rightly so, he is pretty much lauded as the best about atm alongside Cluxton. Cluxton is certainly not overrated

Manning18

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 05, 2018, 09:57:07 AM

Comer wasn't even Galway's best ffs. Such an over-rated player, still just a big lump, who has now developed the ability to go down with the slightest touch. Dan Flynn who scored probably the 2 goals of the championship, 3 if you include his one against Fermanagh, would be ahead of him for me for one.

I'll agree he wasn't Galway's best and in fairness Flynn probably had a better year. Overrated is just not true however. If anything his cartoonish look and size makes opposing fans hate him and underrate him. People think he lacks skill, despite being able to keep control when lads are on his back and having two good feet. Had the penalty been scored against Dublin then he'd have directly accounted for 8 points in that game from little to no ball and a full time sweeper in front. Has a player accounted for that much against Dublin in years? Yet people say he had a quiet game. Add to that what he did in the league final. He's not a big hype player, he's a lad that had a very quiet start to his career that forced his way into peoples minds through sheer production and effectiveness.

Maroon Manc

2. Jonny Cooper (Dublin)

4. Drew Wylie (Monaghan)

8. Brian Fenton (Dublin)

9. Brian Howard (Dublin)

Just clueless.

Comer is one of the best forwards in the game and yet there's still many aspects of his game he can improve on.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 05, 2018, 10:39:03 AM

2. Jonny Cooper (Dublin)

4. Drew Wylie (Monaghan)

8. Brian Fenton (Dublin)

9. Brian Howard (Dublin)

Just clueless.

Comer is one of the best forwards in the game and yet there's still many aspects of his game he can improve on.

I agree in many a game he was, he was terrible on the big stage bar a lucky goal and even luckier point against Dublin, he just failed to deliver, over-hyped because of his size. Reminds me of Niall Sheridan from Longford, although Niall could play a bit.

People are allowed different opinions btw. I think Galway supporters are definitely the most precious, Tyrone though are running them close.
#newbridgeornowhere

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 05, 2018, 11:14:58 AM

2. Jonny Cooper (Dublin)

4. Drew Wylie (Monaghan)

8. Brian Fenton (Dublin)

9. Brian Howard (Dublin)

Just clueless.

I agree in many a game he was, he was terrible on the big stage bar a lucky goal and even luckier point against Dublin, he just failed to deliver, over-hyped because of his size. Reminds me of Niall Sheridan from Longford, although Niall could play a bit.

People are allowed different opinions btw. I think Galway supporters are definitely the most precious, Tyrone though are running them close.

haha, you're on a roll this morning with the windups.

Manning18

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 05, 2018, 11:14:58 AM

2. Jonny Cooper (Dublin)

4. Drew Wylie (Monaghan)

8. Brian Fenton (Dublin)

9. Brian Howard (Dublin)

Just clueless.

You're clearly just a muppet so. A lucky goal when he wins a high ball amongst 3 Dubs. Wins a penalty and a tap over free also, off about 6 balls kicked into him and a full time sweeper in front. Terrible indeed