Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belfast GAA man

There is no doubt st brigids have been a powerhouse in underage football in Belfast for the last decade so it is surprising they haven't won the minor championship. Not sure why they can't get over the line but certainly the resources r there

imtommygunn

They have at least one u21 title and did pretty well in Ulster too. Pretty harsh on a bunch of u18s I would have thought and the last few comments sound a bit on the jealous side. They were 5th in the league so hardly raging hot favourites.

paddyjohn

Quote from: hardstation on October 08, 2019, 10:16:29 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on October 08, 2019, 08:08:16 PM
Belfast as a whole needs to get their fingers out. A potential South West treble in the Football and 2/3 outta in the hurling won by NA clubs and people would argue that Gort Na Mona shouldn't of been in the Junior. Minor Football A + B won by SW clubs and Minor hurling won by a NA team. GAA in the city struggling? The good things outta the city this year was MR2 finally reaching his potential and Colm McDonald performances in the big games.  ;) :-X
We had this nonsense a couple of years ago when SW did the clean sweep. Football was dead in the city. SW patted themselves on the back. Such a progressive divisional board. The future of Antrim football lay in the SW. The following year they never won a single football title as they all went to Belfast clubs.
But sure, if it keeps you warm at night.

Ffs make it a bit harder for me to get a bite lol..

I'm trying to lighten up an otherwise wet and awful windy Tuesday.

BrendanAntrim

Not sure where to start with tbh.

1 The club is called St Brigids / Naomh Brid. Not St Brids

2. 'odds on favourites' - with who? I'm not a gambler but where there odds available for this game? I doubt it. Certainly no one in Naomh Brid was certain of success against a very good Cargin team. Hopeful yes, but thats different.

3. "West Belfast clubs are envious of St Brids massive success at juvenile level over past 10 years" -but didn't you just say the club hasn't had success? So what massive success are you talking about?

4. 'extensive financial resources' - what evidence or relevance is this? Do you imagine the U12's are getting paid in haribos or something?

5. 'A lot of clubs have not been fielding juvenile teams due to falling numbers while St Brids have had 2 teams in juvenile leagues @10/12/14'

Apart from the fact that there is no U10 league, being able to field two teams in most age grades is purely down to volunteerism, hard work and maximising the playing pool. All good things surely?

6. "Despite the large player numbers and good support they seem to suffer stage fright at the business end of juvenile level" - come on pick a side, is it stage fright at the business end of juvenile level, or is it 'massive juvenile success?' It can't be both.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Some very silly comments about this Minor final which make me laugh reading it.

Its a final, both teams are there on merit and fully deserve to be in the final and therefore its a fair chance that either of them will win it. So if Naomh Brid didnt win its probably down to the fact that the other team was better than them. Thats life.

we didn't win a minor title for 36 years and it was down to the fact we weren't good enough. we lost a few finals but we met a better team in the final.

Ive no doubt that Naomh Brid will win the minor title at some point. i seen it first hand last season in the U21 final the quality that exists in the club and they will no doubt produce it

hurl like f**k boi!

Belfast GAA man

Yeah - move on children
Anyone know why the County Provincial championship draw is made 8/9 months in advance of the matches?

The Gs Man

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 09, 2019, 10:32:25 AM
Yeah - move on children
Anyone know why the County Provincial championship draw is made 8/9 months in advance of the matches?

To take our minds off the Antrim minor championship final result.
Keep 'er lit

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Peter john on October 09, 2019, 11:19:22 PM
What age are you allowed to play u21,who are favs,Rossa,Dunloy,St Brigid's?
minor up I would think , one age group up rule. Maybe add Cargin to that favorites list...

Na Glinntí Glasa

last year of minor is the youngest you can be to play U21
hurl like f**k boi!

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 11, 2019, 08:42:55 AM
last year of minor is the youngest you can be to play U21
is that new? Seems harsh on lads who are 18 in January

BigBallWeeBall

U21 age group ages appear strange. To be eligible the younger players must be final year minor ie not 17 years old. This my have an impact on weaker teams being able to field

JimStynes

The amalgamations at u21 are a bit of a farce too.

belfastsaff

Quote from: JimStynes on October 11, 2019, 12:57:06 PM

who are they at this level

KeyboardWarriorRepellent

Whats this live stream gonna be like?. A first for Antrim lads.. all good or any negative vibes from the usual crew.

JimStynes

Quote from: belfastsaff on October 11, 2019, 01:20:30 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on October 11, 2019, 12:57:06 PM

who are they at this level

Not sure. Usually find out when you're playing a team and you realise 5/6 of the best players from several clubs are lined out for opposition as well.