Hogan Cup Final 2011 - St Colmans College, Newry (Down) v St Jarlaths, Tuam, (Ga

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 06, 2011, 04:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

Just thought this should deserve a thread of its own.
Whats the general thoughts on the two teams, players to watch, form coming into the final etc.

From a Colmans perspective its great to be back in the Hogan final again, with alot of last years panel available.

fitzroyalty

Can't see past a College victory. Two of the traditional heavyweights but I expect St Colman's to win with a few to spare, such has been their ability to win games despite a slight tendancy to switch off for long periods.

Who are the main men for St Jarlath's?

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: fitzroyalty on April 06, 2011, 04:56:43 PM
Can't see past a College victory. Two of the traditional heavyweights but I expect St Colman's to win with a few to spare, such has been their ability to win games despite a slight tendancy to switch off for long periods.

Who are the main men for St Jarlath's?

I think it's a pretty young Jarlath's team who might be more ready to win the Hogan by next year especially going against a Colman's team with many of last year's side back. Jarlath's still won Connacht fairly handily though and came through a tough game against Coláiste Chríost Rí. Young Shane Walsh is meant to be an absolutely fantastic talent I've heard. Think he's pretty much been man of the match in nearly all their games this year and had been kicking scores from all angles and distances.

You would have to make Colman's favourites on experience alone but Jarlath's do have a winning tradition ingrained into them so you could not count them out entirely.

PAULD123

I believe that the main man for St Jarlath's is their wing forward Shane Walsh. But generally there is little optimism from the forums in Galway that they can win. If the College play to their standard then it will be a victory. But they have to play to that standard. We have all seen teams come out weaker on paper and by sheer determination fight for their victory. Nothing can be taken for granted.

NP 76

Walsh is reported as the next big thing in Galway both feeted class act Sean Armstrongs brother plays mid field . Ian Burke playmaker at chf . There is two Varley twins and strong through the middle chb is only 16 . Ray Silke has 2 sons on team so a good spread of talent for a very young team alot of these lads are only 16 or 17 as galway bay pointed out  this team wont be easily beaten in a final especially . An institution of football

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: NP 76 on April 06, 2011, 07:24:57 PM
Walsh is reported as the next big thing in Galway both feeted class act Sean Armstrongs brother plays mid field . Ian Burke playmaker at chf . There is two Varley twins and strong through the middle chb is only 16 . Ray Silke has 2 sons on team so a good spread of talent for a very young team alot of these lads are only 16 or 17 as galway bay pointed out  this team wont be easily beaten in a final especially . An institution of football
That will come as a bit of a surprise to Ray!   

snoopdog

Best of luck to St Colmans on saturday. Hope we can do back to back hogans.
Anyone know what price is it in to croker on sat

randomtask

NP 76

Hallowed_Hands

Heres hoping for a SJC win. How I miss those days in the College with first round of championship coming up and everyone chomping at the bit in training! What I wouldn't give to go back and have another bite of the Hogan cherry. I hope these young lads know who and what they are representing. The colours may have changed slightly, the Torch may be gone from the crest, but they still represent generations and generations of champions. Go make a name for yourselves, I hope from the bottom of my heart that the Tuam boys do it!

Just in case they need any extra motivation; Have a look-see at what young Mr. Mooney has to say about the rest of the challengers to their title! http://vimeo.com/21165985

Best of luck men.

lfdown2

any of ye know if you would be able to watch TG4 live overseas on Saturday?

Cheers,

redandblack4ever

I'm certainly going to try to get TG4 on my computer to see the Hogan Final. I'm in Chicago and I got the Final last year, so I'm definitely going to give it try Saturday morning. It's on here at 7:45am. GO BLUE ARMY!!

Mrs. redandblack4ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

PAULD123

Quote from: Hallowed_Hands on April 06, 2011, 11:59:40 PM
...Just in case they need any extra motivation; Have a look-see at what young Mr. Mooney has to say about the rest of the challengers to their title! http://vimeo.com/21165985

There is nothing wrong with what he says, it is said moments after coming through victorious over a tough opponent. It is clearly said as a mark of respect to Dungannon and not a slight on St Jarlath's, who he didn't even know they would be facing. It is obviously an issue of praise to Dungannon where he is effectively saying that they are so good it is hard to imagine anyone being better, he is just giving Dungannon credit. Caolan was in a moment of victory and had that natural feeling of invincibility that comes with winning against such a good team as Dungannon.

You are taking it totally out of context and you really should know better. If he had made the comments this week then fair enough, but I am sure this week he would be saying that he recognises that it will be a tough test and they will need to be at their best to win.

The Worker