Match Attendances

Started by Oakleafer93, April 17, 2009, 08:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on April 23, 2009, 02:33:25 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 23, 2009, 12:09:05 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 22, 2009, 11:50:38 PM
QuoteMonaghan has a population of 55,997, significantly lower than Cavan (and obviously Mayo and Dublin), yet were ahead of Cavan in home attendences.

Yes, but the attendances were inflated by travelling supporters, e.g. Armagh people going to the game in Clones.. while Cavan played in Cross'.  The structure of home and away game is important, the attendance at Cork v Monaghan this year would be good guide as there were few from Cork.
Of course it's no exact science. Mayo had Galway in Castlebar, Cavan had Monaghan in Cavan, - there's always going to be some influence with respect to distance of travelling fans. Monaghan also had Roscommon and Westmeath at home last year, both of whom had very little travelling support.

Incidently, Monaghan v Cork this year was a pretty big crowd and when Monaghan played Cork last year in Cork, they significantly outnumbered the home support (not that that's a major achievement in itself).

In 2009 Mayo played Galway in Tuam, MAYO DID NOT PLAY GALWAY IN CASTLEBAR OR ANY OTHER MAYO VENUE, the fact that we bet them in Tuam, COUNTY GALWAY made it even sweeter. Mayo played Donegal in Ballina <Tiny Ground>, played Westmeath (What a crowd drawer) in Charlestown <Even Smaller than Ballina>, played Dublin in Ballina <Tiny Ground>. Donegal, Westmeath & Dubllin are not that close to Mayo & all have terrible transport connections to Mayo. Tyrone is the only game Mayo had in McHale park in 2009 (this current league as per the origional post)
I'm talking about 2008 as the article and stats you referred to related to 2008.

2009 figures have not been published, so we can hardly credibly comment on what Mayo's (or any other county's) attendances were like for this year in comparison to other counties.

dodo

QuoteMonaghan has a population of 55,997, significantly lower than Cavan (and obviously Mayo and Dublin), yet were ahead of Cavan in home attendences.

Yes, but the attendances were inflated by travelling supporters, e.g. Armagh people going to the game in Clones.. while Cavan played in Cross'.  The structure of home and away game is important, the attendance at Cork v Monaghan this year would be good guide as there were few from Cork.
Of course it's no exact science. Mayo had Galway in Castlebar, Cavan had Monaghan in Cavan, - there's always going to be some influence with respect to distance of travelling fans. Monaghan also had Roscommon and Westmeath at home last year, both of whom had very little travelling support.

Incidently, Monaghan v Cork this year was a pretty big crowd and when Monaghan played Cork last year in Cork, they significantly outnumbered the home support (not that that's a major achievement in itself).

In 2009 Mayo played Galway in Tuam, MAYO DID NOT PLAY GALWAY IN CASTLEBAR OR ANY OTHER MAYO VENUE, the fact that we bet them in Tuam, COUNTY GALWAY made it even sweeter. Mayo played Donegal in Ballina <Tiny Ground>, played Westmeath (What a crowd drawer) in Charlestown <Even Smaller than Ballina>, played Dublin in Ballina <Tiny Ground>. Donegal, Westmeath & Dubllin are not that close to Mayo & all have terrible transport connections to Mayo. Tyrone is the only game Mayo had in McHale park in 2009 (this current league as per the origional post)

Mayo played and drew with Donegal in Letterkenny, Derry we played in Ballina and lost in the opening fixture.

mylestheslasher

Maguire - Listen, Monaghan will never be Cavan. They'll never have the fan base, the history, the Ulsters the all irelands. We have nicer fields, bigger lakes - ye just can't compete. Ye should just give up now and not be so bitter :D

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 23, 2009, 09:32:36 PM
Maguire - Listen, Monaghan will never be Cavan.

Thank F00k for that, end of story.

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: dodo on April 23, 2009, 04:46:26 PM

Mayo played and drew with Donegal in Letterkenny, Derry we played in Ballina and lost in the opening fixture.

Your right, a sure they are all from up thataways anyways  ;D

Maguire01

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 23, 2009, 09:32:36 PM
We have nicer fields, bigger lakes - ye just can't compete.
That hurts soooo much myles.  :P

Maguire01

So, 20,545 at today's game, at a guess, made up as follows:

Monaghan - 10,000
Derry - 6,000
Kerry - 3,000
Cork - 1,545

Oakleafer93

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 26, 2009, 10:10:18 PM
So, 20,545 at today's game, at a guess, made up as follows:

Monaghan - 10,000
Derry - 6,000
Kerry - 3,000
Cork - 1,545

Was there many Kerry ones there for the presentation? We left after the game so didn't see it. Seen very few Kerry ones about, most support came from Ulster.

Pangurban

Very worrying downward trend in attendances generally this season, underlined by the meagre turnouts this weekend. If the powers that be do not wake up and smell the coffee, we could be facing serious problems in the near future, particularly giving the loss of revenue which will result when our Rugby and Soccer brethren stop using Croker. The competition formats and admission prices to our games, require serious examination.

ziggysego

Quote from: ziggysego on April 22, 2009, 10:33:51 PM
Quote from: Oakleafer93 on April 17, 2009, 08:49:57 PM
Does anyone have a link to a website that shows the match attendances of  the current National League Campaign?

Because I'm such a super guy Oak, I've contacted the GAA HQ for you and they will hopefully email me some figures before the weekend. Once I get them, I'll post them here for you to see.

BTW, still wouldn't go near you with a barge pole, so don't be getting your hopes up!

My darling Oak, I'm a man of my word. The GAA got back to me and the attendances is on the following link:

http://www.gaa.ie/page/official_reports.html
Testing Accessibility

Oakleafer93

Quote from: ziggysego on April 27, 2009, 09:51:41 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on April 22, 2009, 10:33:51 PM
Quote from: Oakleafer93 on April 17, 2009, 08:49:57 PM
Does anyone have a link to a website that shows the match attendances of  the current National League Campaign?

Because I'm such a super guy Oak, I've contacted the GAA HQ for you and they will hopefully email me some figures before the weekend. Once I get them, I'll post them here for you to see.

BTW, still wouldn't go near you with a barge pole, so don't be getting your hopes up!

My darling Oak, I'm a man of my word. The GAA got back to me and the attendances is on the following link:

http://www.gaa.ie/page/official_reports.html

Where abouts ziggy, that only seems to up to 2008?

Gnevin

Quote from: Pangurban on April 27, 2009, 02:33:26 AM
Very worrying downward trend in attendances generally this season, underlined by the meagre turnouts this weekend. If the powers that be do not wake up and smell the coffee, we could be facing serious problems in the near future, particularly giving the loss of revenue which will result when our Rugby and Soccer brethren stop using Croker. The competition formats and admission prices to our games, require serious examination.
In what way is a increase on last years pathetic attendances  a downward trend?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ziggysego

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on April 27, 2009, 11:28:46 AM
Where abouts ziggy, that only seems to up to 2008?

Good God, you're never satisfied woman!

You'll have to wait for the next annual report for the 2009 figures. Unfortunately that is all the GAA have online.
Testing Accessibility

Oakleafer93

rrhf

great point pangurban I concur totally.  I also believe that there has been over emphasis on intercounty football over the last 10 years as being the GAA "product" with mere lipservice paid to club activity - ie the marginalisation by county boards intercounty fixture schedules of the club players seasons in regards to the intercounty standard bearers.  The numbers in each club that became addicts to all things gaa are lowering all the time  because they have been placed at the bottom of the GAA food chain by short term thinking among the leadership and therefore our greatest asset becomes disillusioned and disinterested enough to notice the high entrance prices and choose to miss that one or other.  Take the example of Liam O Neills new rules - he deserves to be associated with them.  They were simply not implementable at club level in league football, but did Liam consider that.  Take TV sanctioning - is this implementable at club level or is not? We are trying to introduce sets of rules that could split gaelic football into 2 different games at the expense of club football.  Liam showed he has no sense with his campaign and we need to remember that when the next series of votes are cast.   To get back on to your point the GAA supporter brims with loyalty verging on madness for the club, county and simply the games and culture and would travel anywhere to see a good game regardless of who is involved.  When I was growing up I went to as many Ulster championship games and club championship games no matter who was involved.  That is a financial impossibility now, and for what - accumulating gate receipts for what and for whom?  That type of person has issues the same as anyone in these troubled times and I believe their goodwill and committment has been abused by price fixers, fixture makers and a lack of reward for their loyalty etc.  My advice to top level GAA and theres still 8 months of the years left is to use the GAA 125th year to sign up as many season ticket people for low priced high value tickets which would give a purchaser the ability to travel to games anywhere and to nurture their obsession and those coming behind them.  The crowds arent there its obvious and without that mad loyalty that always existed to the GAA they will wane further.