The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spuds

Quote from: Olaf on May 21, 2012, 07:13:24 PM
Quote from: Feckitt on May 21, 2012, 06:03:43 PM
For those that are too polite to ask the answer is,

Craig Gilroy, Paddy McAllister, Tommy Bowe and possibly Stephen Ferris.  Also as the previous poster has pointed out Tuohy & Fitzpatrick by way of England.

What's the question?
What Ulster players might travel to Bundoran in July ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

trileacman

Craig Gilroy, Paddy McAllister, Tommy Bowe and possibly Stephen Ferris.  Also as the previous poster has pointed out Tuohy & Fitzpatrick by way of England.

What's the question?

What Ulster players are avid readers of the Ireland's Own?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Tony Baloney

Catholics at Royal School in Armagh? Really?!

Hoof Hearted

enjoyed the match and the atmosphere but wont be in a hurry to get back to twickenham - great stadium ok, but nothing around it but houses. 15 minute walk to get to the first bar !

not a patch on murrayfield or millenium. roll on dublin 2013. havent been in Aviva before, but would imagine it would be more sociable in Ballsbridge !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Olaf

Quote from: trileacman on May 21, 2012, 09:38:47 PM

What's the question?

What Ulster players are avid readers of the Ireland's Own?

Ah ......but surely the correct answer is ................................Who Cares?
Not that it matters one jot to this particular  poster and thousands of Ulster fans over the years... but the original poster was wrong re - McAllister and Ferris.

Leo

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 21, 2012, 09:51:24 PM

Catholics at Royal School in Armagh? Really?!

Now the sectarianism of some posters on here is on full unedifying display.
Fierce tame altogether

bcarrier

QuoteYou support Munster in the same way Irish folk support Man Utd or Liverpool, because they are, of they were successful. And those 'dark days' of heineken cup semi's and finals!

QuoteWhy do you support them, if Munster weren't constantly on RTE with their great romantic journey and heart breaking defeats with George Hook constantly saying they were going to lose and instead they were getting knocked out in the group stages not a hope in hell you would have supported them. People liked the romance and then the success, some people might even call it bandwagoning...

Sure what would be the point in explaining ...you both already know why I have chosen to support Munster. Some people might consider it arrogant presumption.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: bcarrier on May 22, 2012, 11:39:31 AM
QuoteYou support Munster in the same way Irish folk support Man Utd or Liverpool, because they are, of they were successful. And those 'dark days' of heineken cup semi's and finals!

QuoteWhy do you support them, if Munster weren't constantly on RTE with their great romantic journey and heart breaking defeats with George Hook constantly saying they were going to lose and instead they were getting knocked out in the group stages not a hope in hell you would have supported them. People liked the romance and then the success, some people might even call it bandwagoning...

Sure what would be the point in explaining ...you both already know why I have chosen to support Munster. Some people might consider it arrogant presumption.

Sure give it a try, enlighten us. To be honest I am fascinated by the support for professional rugby is this country when there was no history of it up until 15 years ago. Munster were the romantic story so people with no allegiance to the game started to follow them.

Even though I am from Leinster and am involved with Leinster Rugby, their fortunes have no emotional affect on me whereas the Kildare GAA rollercoaster of the last 5 years has left me an emotional wreck.
#newbridgeornowhere

NAG1

Surely you mean that Munster were the first to be successful Dinny? That's where the following came from, what does it say about our society that we are so easily manipulated by these big brands pushing rugby through those glowing boxes in the corner's of our rooms.

AZOffaly

As Dinny said, the Munster story was pure theatre as well, so I'd imagine that captured the imagination a bit too. It's not just brand, there was all sorts of human failings and disappointments on show in that 'quest for the holy Grail'.

Now, it's just a rugby club with some great fans, and some shite ones.

Applesisapples

Ulster Rugby have made great strides to make it a sport for all, gone are the days when it was posh prods at play, now it also includes posh taigs...Joking aside Ulster Rugby has tried to be inclusive and with the GAA is attempting to cross community barriers. True you see the few loyalists at games sporting the NI Soccer Flag as a man from Monaghan described it but most are there to support the team. I do not have the same emotional attachment to any of the Rubgy teams I would have to my club and county but when they play teams from outside Ireland you would naturally want them to win.                                                             

johnneycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 22, 2012, 01:55:21 PM
Ulster Rugby have made great strides to make it a sport for all, gone are the days when it was posh prods at play, now it also includes posh taigs...Joking aside Ulster Rugby has tried to be inclusive and with the GAA is attempting to cross community barriers. True you see the few loyalists at games sporting the NI Soccer Flag as a man from Monaghan described it but most are there to support the team. I do not have the same emotional attachment to any of the Rubgy teams I would have to my club and county but when they play teams from outside Ireland you would naturally want them to win.                                                             

I find it interesting that unionists are normally thought of as posh yet loyalists are perceived as working class.

Where does this myth originate?

Probably the wrong thread entirely for this.

Denn Forever

QuoteMunster were the romantic story so people with no allegiance to the game started to follow them.

Also the Mick Galwey affect.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 22, 2012, 02:27:08 PM
QuoteMunster were the romantic story so people with no allegiance to the game started to follow them.

Also the Mick Galwey affect.
What effect is that?
Good or bad?