The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Irish team in full to play Wales

15 Rob Kearney 14 Craig Gilroy 13 Brian O'Driscoll 12 Gordon D'Arcy 11 Simon Zebo 10 Jonathan Sexton 9 Conor Murray 1Cian Healy 2 Rory Best 3 Mike Ross 4 Mike McCarthy 5 Donnacha Ryan 6 Peter O'Mahony 7 Sean O'Brien 8 Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: 16 Sean Cronin 17 David Kilcoyne 18 Declan Fitzpatrick 19 Donncha O'Callaghan 20 Chris Henry 21 Eoin Reddan 22 Ronan O'Gara 23 Keith Earls

O'Mahony over Henry is a shocking decision - the best 7 in Ireland shafted ahead of a guy who is barely Heineken Cup standard and has done nothing of note on the International stage.

Wales have Warburton and Tipuric, 2 out and out groundhogs - we are going to struggle at the breakdown - what is the point of having Gilroy and Zebo when both thrive on quick ball and space.
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 29, 2013, 02:03:58 PM

15 Rob Kearney 14 Craig Gilroy 13 Brian O'Driscoll 12 Gordon D'Arcy 11 Simon Zebo 10 Jonathan Sexton 9 Conor Murray 1Cian Healy 2 Rory Best 3 Mike Ross 4 Mike McCarthy 5 Donnacha Ryan 6 Peter O'Mahony 7 Sean O'Brien 8 Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: 16 Sean Cronin 17 David Kilcoyne 18 Declan Fitzpatrick 19 Donncha O'Callaghan 20 Chris Henry 21 Eoin Reddan 22 Ronan O'Gara 23 Keith Earls

O'Mahony over Henry is a shocking decision - the best 7 in Ireland shafted ahead of a guy who is barely Heineken Cup standard and has done nothing of note on the International stage.

Wales have Warburton and Tipuric, 2 out and out groundhogs - we are going to struggle at the breakdown - what is the point of having Gilroy and Zebo when both thrive on quick ball and space.

Surprised myself at the back row choice. I'm not sure about this O'Mahoney lad. Would Munster fans rate him highly? Is he considered a decent ball carrier in the Ferris role? Not sure if he is that physically powerful. Excited by the back 3!!

Olaf

O'Mahony over Henry is a shocking decision - the best 7 in Ireland shafted ahead of a guy who is barely Heineken Cup standard and has done nothing of note on the International stage. Wales have Warburton and Tipuric, 2 out and out groundhogs - we are going to struggle at the breakdown - what is the point of having Gilroy and Zebo when both thrive on quick ball and space.

The Ulster quota system. It's been going for years. Preferably two and  three at most notwithstanding what is going on in the Rabo or Heiniken Cup. 

Quite remarkable that Trimble left out of 33 too. Reddan, O'Gara and O'Callaghan should not be anywhere near it but selection is predictable .

muppet

Quote from: Olaf on January 29, 2013, 02:13:31 PM

O'Mahony over Henry is a shocking decision - the best 7 in Ireland shafted ahead of a guy who is barely Heineken Cup standard and has done nothing of note on the International stage. Wales have Warburton and Tipuric, 2 out and out groundhogs - we are going to struggle at the breakdown - what is the point of having Gilroy and Zebo when both thrive on quick ball and space.

The Ulster quota system. It's been going for years. Preferably two and  three at most notwithstanding what is going on in the Rabo or Heiniken Cup. 

Quite remarkable that Trimble left out of 33 too. Reddan, O'Gara and O'Callaghan should not be anywhere near it but selection is predictable .

Is Keith Earls covering most of the back positions on his own? I know they can move Sexton to 12 with O'Gara coming on but that is surely an emergency tactic.
MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

I agree with you on Trimble, I wouldn't on the quota bit.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 29, 2013, 02:37:35 PM

Think it's a bit tongue and cheek with the quota. Ulster fans tend to feel hard done by, by Irish selections. I think they may have a case over the non selection of Henry!

Applesisapples

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 29, 2013, 02:39:18 PM

Think it's a bit tongue and cheek with the quota. Ulster fans tend to feel hard done by, by Irish selections. I think they may have a case over the non selection of Henry!
I haven't seen enough of O'Mahony though to comment, but given Ulster's run and they way he's been playing you could be right. Though i seem to remember Henry being pulverised by Wales last year or was it the year before.

Olaf

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 29, 2013, 02:42:20 PM

I haven't seen enough of O'Mahony though to comment, but given Ulster's run and they way he's been playing you could be right. Though i seem to remember Henry being pulverised by Wales last year or was it the year before.
O'Mahoney isn't HC or international standard IMHO. Henry has consisitently been the best back row in Ireland this year without question. It is a shocking decision but depressingly predictable.

Im terms of Ulster representation Henderson, Paul Marshall , Cave , Court and Trimble can feel very hard done by in not getting into the match day 22. Kidney does not pick on form that is crystal clear and seems loathe to put trust in many Ulster players for 6 Nations games,

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Olaf on January 29, 2013, 03:00:59 PM

O'Mahoney isn't HC or international standard IMHO. Henry has consisitently been the best back row in Ireland this year without question. It is a shocking decision but depressingly predictable.

Im terms of Ulster representation Henderson, Paul Marshall , Cave , Court and Trimble can feel very hard done by in not getting into the match day 22. Kidney does not pick on form that is crystal clear and seems loathe to put trust in many Ulster players for 6 Nations games,

I don't know above Cave, he just seems to lack pace and could get exploited in the outside channel which is difficult to defend. Trimbles physicality could have been an option against North this weekend but I'm glad he went for Gilroy. I really like Iain Henderson who can cover 2nd and back row. I just can't see why O'Callaghan continually gets selected!

galwayman

I agree that Henry should start definitely.

But as regards Andrew Trimble. Seriously he has had more than enough chances. He is solid and physical but nothing more than that. He lacks the class required of an international wing.

Olaf

Quote from: galwayman on January 29, 2013, 03:15:42 PM
I agree that Henry should start definitely.

But as regards Andrew Trimble. Seriously he has had more than enough chances. He is solid and physical but nothing more than that. He lacks the class required of an international wing.

He's not a "footballer" (never has been) and is somewhat typical of many  modern day backs - big, powerful, direct and fast.  When Gilroy was dancing around everyone a couple of months ago and putting the pressure on him re Ulster  it was noticeable that Trimble put in a few great performances and save for a poor attempt at a tackle v Northampton has been consisitently good over the last few weeks.

It appears that you have to put in a few startling performances for Ulster  if you are looking to get recognised in the Irish set up (Gilroy) whilst a few workmanlike performances for Munster gets you there (O'Mahoney)

Hound

Henry should definitely be ahead of POM.

On the other hand Gilroy v Earls must have been a close call - Gilroy has done very little since his explosion onto the Irish scene, but at least Kidney has still rewarded him for that. Earls is the best finisher, but I think his move from wing to centre will cost him not only an Irish place, but a Lions place. He'll be a good man off the bench though.

Glad he picked Kilcoyne and Fitzpatrick on the bench.

Henderson's not ready to be an international lock just yet. One more year on the bench for DOC, then Henderson takes over (at least I hope his moulded more as a 2nd row than a back row over the next few years).

screenexile

Quote from: Hound on January 29, 2013, 03:40:12 PM

On the other hand Gilroy v Earls must have been a close call - Gilroy has done very little since his explosion onto the Irish scene, but at least Kidney has still rewarded him for that. Earls is the best finisher, but I think his move from wing to centre will cost him not only an Irish place, but a Lions place. He'll be a good man off the bench though.

Henderson's not ready to be an international lock just yet. One more year on the bench for DOC, then Henderson takes over (at least I hope his moulded more as a 2nd row than a back row over the next few years).

Earls hasn't done anything to justify a Lions shirt in a long time.

NAG1

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 29, 2013, 03:11:46 PM
Quote from: Olaf on January 29, 2013, 03:00:59 PM

I don't know above Cave, he just seems to lack pace and could get exploited in the outside channel which is difficult to defend. Trimbles physicality could have been an option against North this weekend but I'm glad he went for Gilroy. I really like Iain Henderson who can cover 2nd and back row. I just can't see why O'Callaghan continually gets selected!

If you take a look at the tackle counts for Munster turn overs at the break down etc DOC is always up there at the very top level. I know Ulster were weakened in their recent encounter but her was up there with any player on either team for effectiveness.

Hound

Quote from: screenexile on January 29, 2013, 03:54:27 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 29, 2013, 03:40:12 PM

Earls hasn't done anything to justify a Lions shirt in a long time.
His try scoring record when playing wing for Ireland is excellent.  If he'd continued in that position I think he'd be a very strong contender. I rate him as the best finisher we have. But this outside centre malarky is hugely misguided and I'm waiting for the penny to drop for Penney.