A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 13, 2023, 03:07:59 PM
The roads aren't that bad up here. The NHS on the other hand is completely f**ked.

Venture off an A road and it's pot luck, no pun intended.

Saffrongael

Quote from: johnnycool on June 13, 2023, 03:24:20 PM
The roads aren't that bad up here. The NHS on the other hand is completely f**ked.

Venture off an A road and it's pot luck, no pun intended.

Is the south any better in that regard ? Not in my experience & as for Donegal  :-\
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

armaghniac

The roads are not that bad, but not now better than the 26 counties as was the case in the 80s.
The thing about the health in NI is that it has gone downhill quite quickly without much comment, yet people say that the SNP has not delivered.
https://www.bma.org.uk/news-and-opinion/from-bad-to-worse-northern-irelands-care-crisis

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

There is a bit of comment but not enough. I fully expect life expectancy to reduce year on year from now on with how things are going too.

Your man in the telegraph sam thingy who did the RHI book is starting to do articles on it.

UK wide the NHS is in a bad place but it's worse here and probably considerably worse.

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 13, 2023, 02:18:43 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 13, 2023, 01:47:17 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 13, 2023, 12:39:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 13, 2023, 11:42:33 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 13, 2023, 09:05:56 AM
Why the awful low productivity in the 6?
Why does a Monaghan worker produce a lot more than an Arnagh or Tyrone one?
Or is it down to exceptionally high productivity in the East and South East?
It's a more advanced economy versus a less advanced economy. That makes me think of Carson.
Because 100 years ago it was the other way around,

100?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/03/04/unionists-prefer-grim-past-to-future-and-flags-to-good-fortune/
By 1911, Belfast was the biggest city in Ireland with a population of 386,947, bigger than a declining Dublin at 304,802. At the outbreak of the first World War, two-thirds of the industrial output of the entire island of Ireland came from the six counties that would go on to become Northern Ireland. The northeast was by far the richest part of the island.

Unionists used to look down on the Free State because it was poorer than the North

Did the South have better infrastructure, cost of living and health care in the 70's?
It definitely had more stable infrastructure and there were huge savings on roadblocks and internment centres. The savings were invested in education.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on June 13, 2023, 03:31:54 PM
It definitely had more stable infrastructure and there were huge savings on roadblocks and internment centres. The savings were invested in education.

NI definitely did not invest in education. The parties preferred to have no water charges and to fund bonfires rather than invest in education. Again the Scots did the job here.
Far fewer go to Thirld level than in the 26 counties and for many years the school funding went down

clonadmad

Quote from: andoireabu on June 13, 2023, 03:23:56 PM
I'm assuming he meant since waiting times are longer for everything in the Republic it also means you have to wait longer to die, hence the longer life expectancy.

Mudderajaysis

Where do you even start with that for a comment

Longer waiting times = longer to die =longer life expectancy

Waiting times HSE v NHS

Between 2017 and 2021, for day and in-patient services, the proportion on the waiting list for more than one year has increased from 12% to 20% in Ireland and from 20% to 60% in Northern Ireland.

And

Healthy Life Expectancy

healthy life expectancy is closer to 62 years, rather than 61, while in the Republic of Ireland healthy life expectancy is indeed around 69.4 years.

imtommygunn

The NHS up here is f**ked. Anyone who still uses it as a reason to not want a united ireland either has not been following or is telling lies... (e.g. Givan)

AustinPowers

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 13, 2023, 03:31:37 PM
There is a bit of comment but not enough. I fully expect life expectancy to reduce year on year from now on with how things are going too.

Your man in the telegraph sam thingy who did the RHI book is starting to do articles on it.

UK wide the NHS is in a bad place but it's worse here and probably considerably worse.

All part of the  plan  though

Cost of living ,  housing crisis,  health service crisis,  climate taxes etc etc . People can't afford to  get on the property  ladder , or  pay childcare  . Can't afford to eat  healthy  . All designed to restrict population  growth and  finish people off early

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on June 13, 2023, 03:31:54 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 13, 2023, 02:18:43 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 13, 2023, 01:47:17 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 13, 2023, 12:39:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 13, 2023, 11:42:33 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 13, 2023, 09:05:56 AM
Why the awful low productivity in the 6?
Why does a Monaghan worker produce a lot more than an Arnagh or Tyrone one?
Or is it down to exceptionally high productivity in the East and South East?
It's a more advanced economy versus a less advanced economy. That makes me think of Carson.
Because 100 years ago it was the other way around,

100?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/03/04/unionists-prefer-grim-past-to-future-and-flags-to-good-fortune/
By 1911, Belfast was the biggest city in Ireland with a population of 386,947, bigger than a declining Dublin at 304,802. At the outbreak of the first World War, two-thirds of the industrial output of the entire island of Ireland came from the six counties that would go on to become Northern Ireland. The northeast was by far the richest part of the island.

Unionists used to look down on the Free State because it was poorer than the North

Did the South have better infrastructure, cost of living and health care in the 70's?

Not from memory did it seem to have better infrastructure, road blocks mainly in the summer months, when schools were off so not losing out too much on the education savings and the quarry's were making a killing at resurfacing the roads every September and the glazers never stopped. But I think your 100 years is a bit of a myth, I suppose if you say it enough you might believe it, you'll be telling me next the church had no say in things  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jell 0 Biafra

I'm assuming he meant since waiting times are longer for everything in the Republic it also means you have to wait longer to die, hence the longer life expectancy.

Yeah, it was a joke that pretty clearly failed to land.

imtommygunn

I would have said privatising the NHS was the end goal rather than bumping people off tbh...

Everything is just about making money for their own pockets when it comes to the UK government. If it has side effects of bumping people off so be it.

andoireabu

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on June 13, 2023, 04:06:04 PM

Some lads can't see the craic in anything. Have to debate constantly and prove a lad wrong. Must be hard to fill a day at that
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

armaghniac

Quote from: andoireabu on June 13, 2023, 04:53:14 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on June 13, 2023, 04:06:04 PM

Some lads can't see the craic in anything. Have to debate constantly and prove a lad wrong. Must be hard to fill a day at that

I just didn't see the joke.

seafoid

I read something recently about the DUP running down the North in order to make the higher cost of reunification a turnoff for lukewarm Republicans in the South.

Surely the other parties can fight this nihilism.
https://youtu.be/cyGbBCc8aU0
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU