A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: balladmaker on October 05, 2021, 12:25:18 AM
My daughter attends a Catholic grammar school in the 6 counties.  She arrived home this evening to tell me about a poll their history teacher did today ... Hands up everyone in the class who would vote for a United Ireland in a border poll.  From a class of 26, only 4 hands went up in favour of a UI.

She asked me to guess before telling me the answer, I guessed 18, a long way off.  The dominant theme for the vast majority of the class not voting in favour of a UI was having to pay to see a doctor in the south.  A rather fickle reason in my opinion, and I do hope this generation of voters will be more in tune with the positives vs the negatives of a UI by the time they get their chance to vote ... which in all likelihood will be in the next 10 years.

By no means a scientific poll, but one which I found a little shocking for a Catholic school in the north.
Selling out their identity and the reunification of their country over the price of a doctors appointment (which we may not even have to pay anyway), embarrassing.

clonadmad

Waiting List Figures as at 31/12/20.

I know it's 10 months out of date,but the figures won't have improved,if anything they will have gotten a lot worse

NI NHS 
Waiting for OP appointment  300,000 
Waiting for operation/procedure 100,000

HSE
Waiting for OP appointment 613,000

Waiting for procedure 63,000

So with 36% of the population of the Republic

Pro Rata and using the "shitshow" of the HSE as the benchmark for the waiting list metrics

The NI NHS should have 220,000 on waiting lists appointments ,instead it has 80,00 more at 300,000

And it should have 36,000 waiting on procedures instead it has nearly double that at 63,000

Farrandeelin

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on October 05, 2021, 12:31:46 AM
My daughter attends a Catholic grammar school in the 6 counties.  She arrived home this evening to tell me about a poll their history teacher did today ... Hands up everyone in the class who would vote for a United Ireland in a border poll.  From a class of 26, only 4 hands went up in favour of a UI.

She asked me to guess before telling me the answer, I guessed 18, a long way off.  The dominant theme for the vast majority of the class not voting in favour of a UI was having to pay to see a doctor in the south.  A rather fickle reason in my opinion, and I do hope this generation of voters will be more in tune with the positives vs the negatives of a UI by the time they get their chance to vote ... which in all likelihood will be in the next 10 years.

By no means a scientific poll, but one which I found a little shocking for a Catholic school in the north.
Selling out their identity and the reunification of their country over the price of a doctors appointment (which we may not even have to pay anyway), embarrassing.

Or they might have to pay if Brexit takes a turn for the worse if the status quo prevails.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedHand88

My daughter attends a Catholic grammar school in the 6 counties.  She arrived home this evening to tell me about a poll their history teacher did today ... Hands up everyone in the class who would vote for a United Ireland in a border poll.  From a class of 26 14/15 year olds, only 4 hands went up in favour of a UI.

She asked me to guess before telling me the answer, I guessed 18 for a UI, a long way off.  The dominant theme for the vast majority of the class not voting in favour of a UI was having to pay to see a doctor in the south.  A rather fickle reason in my opinion, and I do hope this generation of voters will be more in tune with the positives vs the negatives of a UI by the time they get their chance to vote ... which in all likelihood will be in the next 10 years.

Depressing. I really have no idea why the pay to see your GP line gets used over and over. It really is nothing in the bigger picture.
I think nationalism needs to do more to educate the public about the benefits of a UI.
"Yes, if you are in employment, you will pay €50 to see a GP. However, you would be earning an extra €10,000 per year."
As well as that, less and less people will be paying to see a GP because of Sláintecare.
You can bet your ass the waiting time discrepancy between North and south is worse now than 10 months ago.

RedHand88

Heard someone in work a few weeks ago say that we were so lucky to have free healthcare unlike "down south". I went on a ten minute rant about how that wasn't the case.  ;D

BennyCake

It's 14/15 year olds we're talking about here, who let's face it, don't know much about the real world. Just like everyone else when we were that age.

But it is a good point re: medical fees.

But instead of focusing on perceived disadvantages of a UI,  maybe we could throw open the floor to the perceived advantages, to everyday life for us in the north?

johnnycool

Quote from: BennyCake on October 05, 2021, 09:51:58 AM

It's 14/15 year olds we're talking about here, who let's face it, don't know much about the real world. Just like everyone else when we were that age.

But instead of focusing on perceived disadvantages of a UI,  maybe we could throw open the floor to the perceived advantages, to everyday life for us in the north?

I've already said that this narrative about the NHS needs challenged and the €50 to see the GP is one peddled out time and time again.

The NHS in the North is a shambles irrespective of Covid.

yellowcard

My daughter attends a Catholic grammar school in the 6 counties.  She arrived home this evening to tell me about a poll their history teacher did today ... Hands up everyone in the class who would vote for a United Ireland in a border poll.  From a class of 26 14/15 year olds, only 4 hands went up in favour of a UI.

She asked me to guess before telling me the answer, I guessed 18 for a UI, a long way off.  The dominant theme for the vast majority of the class not voting in favour of a UI was having to pay to see a doctor in the south.  A rather fickle reason in my opinion, and I do hope this generation of voters will be more in tune with the positives vs the negatives of a UI by the time they get their chance to vote ... which in all likelihood will be in the next 10 years.

It depends how the question is framed. For instance ask the same class how many of them wanted to remain within the UK and see if all hands go up except 4. Using schoolchildren with little real life/world experience in a simple hand showing exercise where they are likely to be at least somewhat apathetic is not exactly a reliable sample size. That is why the border poll question will be interesting to see the wording, I suspect that this will be another argument when it occurs - the exact framing of the question. 

RedHand88

Quote from: yellowcard on October 05, 2021, 01:05:47 PM

It depends how the question is framed. For instance ask the same class how many of them wanted to remain within the UK and see if all hands go up except 4. Using schoolchildren with little real life/world experience in a simple hand showing exercise where they are likely to be at least somewhat apathetic is not exactly a reliable sample size. That is why the border poll question will be interesting to see the wording, I suspect that this will be another argument when it occurs - the exact framing of the question.

Absolutely. Nationalism needs to ensure it is the "Yes" option on the ballot as these tend to be more successful than a negative "No" option.

Dire Ear

The teacher has certain influence also ..............

Tyrdub

Do they pay National Insurance down South? I am out a hell of a lot of money for the "free NHS" service, even at 50quid a doctors visit I would be better off that way

snoopdog

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 05, 2021, 01:19:09 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 05, 2021, 01:05:47 PM

Absolutely. Nationalism needs to ensure it is the "Yes" option on the ballot as these tend to be more successful than a negative "No" option.
Wait till they hear about Vehicle registration tax.

Rossfan

Their savings on domestic rates vs LPT should cover that!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Tyrdub on October 05, 2021, 03:10:01 PM

Do they pay National Insurance down South? I am out a hell of a lot of money for the "free NHS" service, even at 50quid a doctors visit I would be better off that way

For a person on average wages, the national insurance in the occupied territories is alomost £1000 more than anyone in the 26 counties pays. A unified government could collect this and offer "free" health to everyone without any problem.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

The border destroyed Derry. It does no favours for Newry.
Cavan and Monaghan also suffer

The only good the border did for Cavan was the 5 All Irelands.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU