Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Nail on the head Corn. All about revenue and a very good reason to be there and win it. Brings in more money which will help buy more top players for the future. Full circle :)

magpie seanie

Quote from: corn02 on December 23, 2008, 12:03:31 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on December 23, 2008, 12:02:09 PM
QuoteYou would have to be on some serious mind altering drugs if you hold the World Club Cup in any great regard, if you are being serious and not attempting a shit stir i am really surprised by some of you, not all though.........

Its obviously not to be held in any 'great regard' really, but its still a big achievement.  You are effectively the best club team in the world if you win the champions league, because lets face it the only continent to compete with the European clubs would be South America yet there club teams would not be any great shakes as the majority of top players play in Europe.

An achievement surely, no one cana rgue that, but not much of one. A chance to extend the United wings to more Japanese people was the biggest success for United.

I assume it was the same for Liverpool when they went there in 2005. The players and managers take it seriously. For that reason alone its of more worth than a League Cup (a trophy which incidentally I expect United to also win this season). The Copa Libertadores winners are no mugs.

corn02

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 23, 2008, 12:32:06 PM
Quote from: corn02 on December 23, 2008, 12:03:31 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on December 23, 2008, 12:02:09 PM
QuoteYou would have to be on some serious mind altering drugs if you hold the World Club Cup in any great regard, if you are being serious and not attempting a shit stir i am really surprised by some of you, not all though.........

Its obviously not to be held in any 'great regard' really, but its still a big achievement.  You are effectively the best club team in the world if you win the champions league, because lets face it the only continent to compete with the European clubs would be South America yet there club teams would not be any great shakes as the majority of top players play in Europe.

An achievement surely, no one cana rgue that, but not much of one. A chance to extend the United wings to more Japanese people was the biggest success for United.

I assume it was the same for Liverpool when they went there in 2005. The players and managers take it seriously. For that reason alone its of more worth than a League Cup (a trophy which incidentally I expect United to also win this season). The Copa Libertadores winners are no mugs.

Certainly the same as when Liverpool went there. But, while no player wants to lose, it would be fair to say the Pool players were not exactly thundering into tackles. Alonso said it took two weeks for his body clock to recover.

culchie11

Fergie must think all his christmas's have come at once!!
we are now in a better position than when they left for world club cup!!
2 games in hand and 7 points behind, the games in hand being fulham & wigan at home!!
if we can get six points from stoke and boro matches, it will set us up well for chelski on jan 11th!!
fa cup and league cup play the youngsters and fellas he played against blackburn in last round!!
this is why we have a big squad.

does anyone think that if the boy rooney had made that tackle last night would it have been questioned or was it just because hes england captain!!
if terry had been playing for hull or stoke it wouldnt have been given a second mention!!
two feet off the ground flying in, proper order to see red!!

heard on setanta's football matters, what the scousers chant for robbie keane!!
hes big, hes red, he sounds like father ted!!! :D :D

that must have took them ages to think up!!!
;D
feed the scousers let them know its christmas time!!!
:D

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AFS

To ridicule the World Club Cup as insignificant is stupid. There can be no greater promotional label to attach to yourself when selling your product around the globe than 'World Champion'.

The dismissive attitudes displayed by some of the followers of smaller clubs on this thread is why their clubs will always have a smaller global presence; will always have less revenue; will always be out bid by the Uniteds of the world for top players; and will be perennial 3rd/4th placers.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

corn02

Quote from: AFS on December 23, 2008, 01:57:50 PM
To ridicule the World Club Cup as insignificant is stupid. There can be no greater promotional label to attach to yourself when selling your product around the globe than 'World Champion'.

The dismissive attitudes displayed by some of the followers of smaller clubs on this thread is why their clubs will always have a smaller global presence; will always have less revenue; will always be out bid by the Uniteds of the world for top players; and will be perennial 3rd/4th placers.

Smaller clubs? Liverpool are the biggest club in England in regards silverware - the thing that matters most.

But you are right about the World Cup - no greater promotioinal label.

full back

Quote from: corn02 on December 23, 2008, 03:14:17 PM
Smaller clubs? Liverpool are the biggest club in England in regards silverware - the thing that matters most.

Sure we are officially the best club in the world corn........ ;)

corn02

Quote from: full back on December 23, 2008, 03:24:01 PM

Save it for tomorrow big lad, seems me and you are the only ones who have to work.

full back

Quote from: corn02 on December 23, 2008, 03:37:13 PM
Quote from: full back on December 23, 2008, 03:24:01 PM

Save it for tomorrow big lad, seems me and you are the only ones who have to work.

Aye, dont want to waste all the slagging in one day.... ;)

EC Unique

Don't worry, I'm here too lads nursing the mother of all hangovers :P

nrico2006

QuoteSmaller clubs? Liverpool are the biggest club in England in regards silverware - the thing that matters most.

But you are right about the World Cup - no greater promotioinal label.

I hope that in 2098 that Liverpool fans are still not clinging on to glories achieved in the days of Chopper Harris!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'