Wireless router / access point with best range

Started by Smokin Joe, September 05, 2010, 10:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

I am looking a bit of IT help.

I want to be able to use my broadband connection in a neighbouring building - it is approx 100m in distance.
A wired connection isn't really possible.

Does anyone know of a wireless device with that sort of range?

blast05

Very much doubt you'll be able to secure one that can support 100m ...... something like this might be needed:
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireless/ss/wirelessgear_7.htm

Smokin Joe

Quote from: blast05 on September 05, 2010, 10:20:07 PM
Very much doubt you'll be able to secure one that can support 100m ...... something like this might be needed:
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireless/ss/wirelessgear_7.htm

blast, I would be open to go for something like that, but do you know if that will cover the 100m distance?

gerrykeegan

I seem to remember someone else with the same problem either Bud or A Mallon. Try a PM to them. I have that range expander at work and its about 50 meters from the Router which is the end of the wireless routers limits.  I only need to push it on  another 5 meters or so and it works.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Smokin Joe

Quote from: gerrykeegan on September 06, 2010, 09:28:23 AM
I seem to remember someone else with the same problem either Bud or A Mallon. Try a PM to them. I have that range expander at work and its about 50 meters from the Router which is the end of the wireless routers limits.  I only need to push it on  another 5 meters or so and it works.

Thanks Gerry, I will try the other two guys.

So you are saying that you have a wireless router and about 50m from that you have the extender?  What sort of range can you then get with the extender?

amallon

Joe I ran a Cat5 Cable in the end.  My line of sight wasn't clear so I didn't want to buy equipment that wouldn't work. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: amallon on September 06, 2010, 10:54:07 AM
Joe I ran a Cat5 Cable in the end.  My line of sight wasn't clear so I didn't want to buy equipment that wouldn't work.

Thanks.

That is the great difficulty I face, I'll not know if any equipment works or not until I buy it.

I don't think I'll face any line of sight difficulties (there are just a few trees in between the two buildings), but I guess you never know.

Did you do any research on what sort of wireless device you would have went for had gone down the wireless route?

Shamrock Shore

I tried to hook up a Belkin booster. I HATE Belkin. Binned the feckin thing.

Can one not use the power points in the office to set up a wired network? I am sure such things exist and work very well.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 06, 2010, 11:13:48 AM

Can one not use the power points in the office to set up a wired network? I am sure such things exist and work very well.

OK, let me give you the full story.

I have a terrible BT phone line, there is intermittent noise on the line.  I have had about 6 BT engineers out, but every time they come out the cracking disappears from the line – this then means they can't diagnose the fault.

Although the line is fine for voice calls, the unsteady state of the line really kills my broadband.  The line went down 3 Fridays ago, and since then I am either connecting at 0.1MB or I have no connection at all.

Though when my line is good the broadband speed reaches 1.7MB so it is very frustrating.

My broadband company have said that if I keep calling BT out they are likely to say that my line isn't capable of receiving ADSL (and thus they would not have any onus to call out any more).

I live next door to my parents (about 100m away) and they can connect at 1.6MB. 

I am trying to get their signal into my house.  Hence any wired solution isn't any use to me and running cat5 cable out their window and into mine isn't really feasible either.

I have come across this device:
http://mybroadband.co.za/techreviews/Hardware/166.html

It seems to attach to something like the TV aeriel and has coverage of 15km!!!

This is obviously overkill, but I am struggling to find something in between this and the "normal" wireless routers with ranges of 20m.

Another possible option is http://www.zyxel.co.uk/web/product_family_detail.php?PC1indexflag=20040520161256&CategoryGroupNo=PDCA2009008

It states indoor coverage of up to 150m and outdoors up to 500m, but I would like to speak to someone who has used one of these to know if, in reality, those distances are achievable.

Bud Wiser

The pic below shows Avon Ri Holiday resort. They have wireless repeaters installed on the grounds (3) to provide wireless interrnet to all the houses and the complex itself.  I think it was a company, Diacom that installed them.  You could ring them, or Conal Keaney, him with the trusted left peg that plays for the Dub's,who is marketing manager for the resort and ask what equipment they used.

(I'm too sick from the drink after yesterday to go into it and I have other things to do like changing my avatar!!)
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

stephenite

What's the distance of the trees from each house?

If it's about 40 metres either, run a cat5 from the parents to the tree and power from either the parents or yours depending on which is closer. Stick the wireless router in some sort of container and hang it off the tree.

A bit much but you could do it yourself at very little cost and no reason why it wouldn't work.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: stephenite on September 06, 2010, 12:40:36 PM
What's the distance of the trees from each house?

If it's about 40 metres either, run a cat5 from the parents to the tree and power from either the parents or yours depending on which is closer. Stick the wireless router in some sort of container and hang it off the tree.

A bit much but you could do it yourself at very little cost and no reason why it wouldn't work.

Thanks for the idea Stephenite.  Had you ever heard of the ubiquiti nanostation that I linked to above?

This seems like the simplest solution.  If I understand correctly I would just need to run some CAT5 / power to the unit which fits on the TCV aeriel (or something like that).
This would save the problem of running CAT5 / power cables through the gardens.

The range seems amazing on it as well.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 06, 2010, 10:34:49 AM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on September 06, 2010, 09:28:23 AM

Thanks Gerry, I will try the other two guys.

So you are saying that you have a wireless router and about 50m from that you have the extender?  What sort of range can you then get with the extender?

Joe

On holidays in the extremley wet Sunny South East at the moment. Back in two weeks. I will test moving the laptop I have if you still need me to when I get back.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

stephenite

Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 06, 2010, 12:54:53 PM
Had you ever heard of the ubiquiti nanostation that I linked to above?

This seems like the simplest solution.  If I understand correctly I would just need to run some CAT5 / power to the unit which fits on the TCV aeriel (or something like that).
This would save the problem of running CAT5 / power cables through the gardens.

The range seems amazing on it as well.

Never heard of it, but let me know how it goes if you decide to go down that route. We have an office out in Central NSW (basically in the desert) with a new building that they want to use for office space the other side of town and this looks like it'll do the job for us

Main Street

Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 06, 2010, 11:26:29 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 06, 2010, 11:13:48 AM

OK, let me give you the full story.

I have a terrible BT phone line, there is intermittent noise on the line.  I have had about 6 BT engineers out, but every time they come out the cracking disappears from the line – this then means they can't diagnose the fault.

Although the line is fine for voice calls, the unsteady state of the line really kills my broadband.  The line went down 3 Fridays ago, and since then I am either connecting at 0.1MB or I have no connection at all.

Though when my line is good the broadband speed reaches 1.7MB so it is very frustrating.

My broadband company have said that if I keep calling BT out they are likely to say that my line isn't capable of receiving ADSL (and thus they would not have any onus to call out any more).

I live next door to my parents (about 100m away) and they can connect at 1.6MB. 

I am trying to get their signal into my house.  Hence any wired solution isn't any use to me and running cat5 cable out their window and into mine isn't really feasible either.

How far is your house away from the adsl exchange?
Is the telephone line into your house overground?

I am open to correction here because I am not au fait with the whole rigmarole.
if your line has a high level noise, you can achieve stability within that noise level if you get a cap on the speed, say 4mbps, by your provider
Instability happens in a line with a lot of noise, when the cap (say 10mbps) is way above what your line is actually capable of handling.
If the noise has increased and the capacity to download has diminished then I would suspect a seriously deteriorating line into your house. Same goes for wild fluctuations. Then are you not entitled to have a new line provided to your house?  You are paying for access to the line as well as rental to BT.  Same as for electricity lines, you are entitled to have  a proper service to your house. BT may not responsible for the quality of the line but they should inform whoever is responsible, on your behalf.