speeding ticket

Started by overdabar, December 04, 2008, 04:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: AFS on December 05, 2008, 06:33:37 PM
Quote from: overdabar on December 04, 2008, 04:50:02 PM
Received in the post yesterday a letter from Victoria police in Australia, a speeding ticket for speeding while out there on my honeymoon in October. was wondering should i just bin it or can they make me pay it? will it come back to bite me on the ass if i don't? i have no intentions of returning there for the next 20/30 years. the fine is about $160 bucks and i was doing a 108 in a 100 km/hr zone. feckers. My intention at the minute is to bin it unless i am advised otherwise. Any advice.

I defo pay the fine overdabar if I was you. For the sake of 80 or 90 quid there's no knowing how it could f**k you up in the future. You say you've no intention to head back in the next 20/30 years but you can't be sure where you're life will take you. Even if you or your wife never head back you could end up with family, even kids, in Australia and something outstanding like this could prevent you from ever visiting them in the future.

I'd agree with this. As long as you are sure it is legit and given that it is such a small sum, I would take care of it now and be done with it. It might be very minor, but you never know when how you deal with something like this, minor or not, could come back to haunt you in the future.

rage

I have two outstanding speeding fines and an outstanding parking fine for Oz.  They were sending letters to the womans house all the time while we were away with photos of me behind the wheel.  She wrote to them when we got back saying that she wasnt driving and that we had split up and i was in India somewhere, heard nothing back since.  This was all in rental cars where they took a copy of your licence when hiring which is where they get the address from.  Also got a fine for driving through a toll bridge in around Sydney which was meant to be paid afterwards but to this day i have yet to see a toll sign!  although the feckers we rented the campervan off at that time managed to take the money from our credit card about 5 months later with a nice wee administration fee for himself!  My advice would be to ignore it.

EC Unique

I live in the north and have lost count of the amount of times I have been caught speeding in the south. A few letters and court dates have arrived but I just keep ignoring them. The last I heard of them was about 4 years ago and I have since moved house so am not too worried ;D ;D

thebigfella

Quote from: rage on December 11, 2008, 11:06:11 AM
I have two outstanding speeding fines and an outstanding parking fine for Oz.  They were sending letters to the womans house all the time while we were away with photos of me behind the wheel.  She wrote to them when we got back saying that she wasnt driving and that we had split up and i was in India somewhere, heard nothing back since.  This was all in rental cars where they took a copy of your licence when hiring which is where they get the address from.  Also got a fine for driving through a toll bridge in around Sydney which was meant to be paid afterwards but to this day i have yet to see a toll sign!  although the feckers we rented the campervan off at that time managed to take the money from our credit card about 5 months later with a nice wee administration fee for himself!  My advice would be to ignore it.

Good point, if you were in a rental car and paid by card, you will have signed something to allow the rental company to deduct any incurred fines from the card. Only way round that is to cancel the card you used to pay  ;)  I still say ignore it, they have no way of making you pay and I have not heard of anyone being refused entry because of an outstanding fine. In fact I know of one person who had totalled up parking/speeding fines in multiples of thousands when they left after a working holiday. They have been back twice since and no issues.