Leinster SFC

Started by Catch and Kick, May 18, 2017, 11:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catch and Kick

You wouldn't think the Leinster SFC begins this w/e judging by the topics on this Board!
Wexford travel to Carlow for the right to meet Dublin in the QF.
Laois entertain Longford in O Moore Park.
Louth take on Wicklow in Parnell Park - why not Drogheda, surely they aren't expecting that many that it cannot handle this fixture?

panc56

I'm thinking that the lack of exposure on these three contests is that who ever wins will be beaten next time out.  Dublin , Kildare and Meath waiting the winners.

AZOffaly

Obviously overshadowed by Dublin waiting in the wings, but the Leinster Championship often throws up fairly entertaining and competitive games not featuring the Dubs. Laois and Longford will be tight, especially in Portlaoise, but the rumblings coming out of Laois wouldn't be that positive. Michael McGeechin got relieved of his coaching duties due to a cost cutting measure, and I don't think Peter Creedon and his backroom team remaining were too happy about it. Laois are a funny crowd so despite getting relegated they may well beat Longford at home, and in fact I fancy them to do so.

Wexford and Carlow another potentially close game. Wexford going well with Banty, but Westmeath showed they still have a long way to go. More positive sounds coming out of Carlow recently, so don't be surprised if Home Advantage causes an upset here.
Louth should have too much for Wicklow, but again the venue may be a factor. Wicklow will be fired up as always, and will sow it into Louth early on, but Louth are now a Division 2 team in waiting, so they should be too good for Wicklow.

seafoid

I think Longford will beat Laois.  The Laois Volk are not happy with Creedon. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on May 19, 2017, 09:45:34 AM

They're not, but that doesn't mean they'll lie down in O'Moore Park. Longford are better, but Laois might well pull this one off. Creedon will be gone, I think, before next year.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2017, 10:15:27 AM
Quote from: seafoid on May 19, 2017, 09:45:34 AM

They're not, but that doesn't mean they'll lie down in O'Moore Park. Longford are better, but Laois might well pull this one off. Creedon will be gone, I think, before next year.
It should be tight but I think Longford have better morale. If they score a few goals they'll frighten the bejaysus out of fragile Laois supporters

Dinny Breen

Laois are defensively poor Longford offensively. I suspect it will be a tight game but I think if Kingston fires Laois will win. Laois by 2 for me.
Louth will win pulling up and if there is to be s shock it will be Carlow.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Shamrock Shore

I usually start Longford v threads but just couldn't get the motivation to do it this year.

Won't get to the game due to a prior commitment but Laois surely won't lie down here. I expect them to win handy.

Routine wins for Wexford and Louth as well.

Rossfan

Apart from the activists and the NFL type supporters of the 6 teams does anyone anywhere care about these 3 games?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on May 19, 2017, 11:55:27 AM
Apart from the activists and the NFL type supporters of the 6 teams does anyone anywhere care about these 3 games?

I know I care very much about Offaly v Westmeath shortly.

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2017, 11:58:24 AM

I know I care very much about Offaly v Westmeath shortly.

There will be bite in that one. Especially after such a tight game last year.

The Boy Wonder

Gosh Rossfan - what's wrong with "NFL type supporters" ?

To answer your question - yes, genuine GAA supporters will have a real interest in the provincial championships as they progress.
Will Colin Kelly (a fine forward in his playing days) build on Louth's promotion to Division 2 ?
Could Johnny Magee's Wicklow pull off a shock ?  They were not too far off against Meath & Laois in Round 1 in recent years.
How will Wexford fare under Banty ?
Some signs of improvement in Carlow's fortunes at underage in recent years - will it follow through to senior ?
Longford too had had good underage teams in recent years so will be very confident on Sunday.
Laois had a disastrous League so won't lack motivation.

To hell with the Joe Brolly types who look down their noses at the "lesser" counties.

Rossfan

I'm a NFL type supporter ;)
There will be little or no public interest and certainly no bandwagon rolling for these 3 games.
They're a bit like the early counts in an Election when the no hopes are being eliminated.

Sadly.........
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

laoislad

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 19, 2017, 11:47:39 AM
I usually start Longford v threads but just couldn't get the motivation to do it this year.

Won't get to the game due to a prior commitment but Laois surely won't lie down here. I expect them to win handy.

Routine wins for Wexford and Louth as well.
Your prior commitment was a road trip to Portlaoise with laoislad...until you dumped me for your posh mates... >:(
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.