Ice baths? do they work?

Started by INDIANA, May 01, 2008, 12:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

A GAA study has concluded that there is no scientific evidence to support the use of ice baths as an aid to recovery.

The GAA's Medical and Scientific Committee has also claimed that cryotherapy is equally ineffective in speeding up recovery from injury. Committee member and leading physiotherapist John Murphy said: "The point we are trying to make is that if you get injured, you are injured, and some of those things won't help you to repair the injury."

Sligo team doctor Dr Jim Gillespie said that while ice baths might stop bleeding, he didn't believe that they aided recovery. Former Dublin team doctor Dr Pat Duggan said there was no evidence from a scientific point of view to support the use of ice baths and urged the GAA to call a halt to the practice.

Meanwhile, Dr Duggan warned that more inter-county players will be drug-tested than ever before this year as the Irish Sports Council steps up its anti-doping campaign.

Have to say i only did them in my twlight years and i can honestly say they did work for me. maybe it's different nowadays.

orangeman

The majority of studies seem to indicate that ice baths and cryotherapy are only good in the initial stages of an injury and any benefit derived from their use is only very limited and short lived.

Do many people use that cryotherapy chamber in Wexford / Waterford or wherever it is ?
If it was so good, why are there not these chambers all over Ireland and indeed the world ??

Jinxy

Ice baths are not just used for injury rehabilitation.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Bensars

Did the Irish Rugby team not have a bus kitted out with ice baths for the last world cup?

I could be wrong but im sure i seen something about it .

illdecide

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2008, 12:38:08 PM

Thats right, they are also used to freeze the bollocks of you ;) :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Jinxy

If you use them and you think they help, then carry on using them. Its that simple.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

behind the wire

i dont think they are used to 'rehabilitate an injury' as such. they are more used as a way to aid muscle fatigue after training/match. i used to think it was mad, and after trying it i still think its mad but your legs definitely dont be as stiff and sore the morning after a hard training session.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: illdecide on May 01, 2008, 12:47:45 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2008, 12:38:08 PM

Thats right, they are also used to freeze the bollocks of you ;) :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D

gander

I went to on of those deep freeze tanks that are used for horses.  Had a nagging leg injury that wouldn't clear up and I've had no problems what so ever since!  just dont plan any action with the wife for about a day afterwards!

INDIANA

that's the one in julianstown i think, i used that as well- christ they made ice baths appear warm in comparison. legs were blocks of ice getting out of them as for the rest i'll say no more.

orangeman

Do ice baths not lead to fertility problems ??  ;) :D ;D

magpie seanie

Whatever about recovery from injury I have no doubt that my legs wouldn't be as sore or stiff the day after a hard training session if I used the ice baths.

highorlow

Ask the Irish Rugby team ?

ICE CREAM is what they should have used, they couldn't have performed much worse!
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

neilthemac

lactic acid build up in the muscles

can be alleviated with a light jog and stretching

or with ice baths

you decide

alcohol in the system affects the rate of lactic acid build up

donelli

Our club are going to buy a couple of containers to use as ice baths.
we used to use wheelie bins but they are quite dangerous to get in and out of.
any suggestions on what kind of containers that are easy to obtain which would be suitable??