Down v Monaghen minor championship

Started by KIDDO, May 20, 2007, 08:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KIDDO

Half time score at Crossmaglen  , in ulster minor championship , Down 2.0, Monaghan1.1 , with refereeEugene mc Connell unlikely to resume in the 2nd half , due an injury.

KIDDO

monaghan 1.6, Down 2.1,  final score from Crossmaglen , with Monaghan  through  to the semi final   , with this their first  victory in the minor championship for 4 years.

Orior

Interesting scoreline from the Down youngsters!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bingobus

Down scored their 2 goals in the first 4/5 minutes. They added a free in the second half. Woeful display. Monaghan got their goal from a penalty and only got the lead in the last quarter.

Both sides made loads of mistakes. Down had made sent off in first half when conceding the penalty, very poor decision to send the lad off, didn't seem to have a big effect on the game though. Can't see Monaghan going too far, their best display came from the defenders with no 5 (Mark McBride) the best palyer on show.

Cloc Mor

Not at all surprised.  You would have thought the way the players and management were jumping about on the field last Sunday, that they had won the All Ireland.  Their feet were far from the ground and it obviously showed today. 1 score in 55 minutes of football simply is not good enough.  More waste frrom another promising Minor side.

Mourne Rover

Cloc Mor, youngsters are allowed to celebrate when they win a championship match. You may have expected Down to lose this game, but we would have been more impressed if you had said so before you heard the result. Good luck to Monaghan, who were backboned by a St McCartan's squad who should have won the MacRory Cup this year. They went into today as a fresh side, while Down had a tough away game a week ago. They should have been entitled to their next fixture at home, and the Marshes would have been an ideal setting today. Instead, the preliminary slot was given to two women's teams who in the event did not turn up because they apparently wanted a bigger share of the gate receipts than they were offered. This was by any standards a poor piece of organisation. The atmosphere in Crossmaglen must have been more than a little flat, and both sides only scored twice in the first half. It is a long time since a Down side only managed a single point in a game, although I seem to remember a National League senior game against Dublin at the old-style Marshes in the mid-90s when we barely troubled the scoreboard operator. I still expect the likes of O'Reilly and Devlin to bounce back from today.

thebandit

Agree with bingobus, McBride played well, Hughes on the other wing did ok as well

I think that if they get the ball in on top of Gary White and the number 15 (McNally?) a bit quicker they could make an Ulster final.