Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

I think we've really unearthed some good options in defence this year.

Rafferty has been in superb form and should be a definite starter this year, from what I've seen from Niall Kelly I have been impressed, he seems a solid corner back and Michael O'Neill did very well last night on his debut. It does give us options and depth there going forward.

The problems are at the other end of the pitch though. Hopefully Peter Harte will keep his form up now though, we had no short-mid range free taker for the left hand side last night until O'Neill came on. It's a shame McHugh left the panel as he could actually get some chances now.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on January 02, 2020, 09:55:52 PM
Anything to be said for moving Peter Harte into full forward?
Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly inside with Mark Bradley operating off them would have the potential to be very dangerous.
Hope to see Peter Harte continue in there. Thought he was excellent last night. Closer to goal should suit him. A welcome and much needed return to form.
Brennan excellent again, hard to believe it took him so long to get established on the team. Great player. McKernan, Cassidy, Hampsey coming into the team improved things, not surprising because their good players, but great to see them back. Morgan in great form last night and Rafferty excellent as well.
Things to work on yes, two wins during two storms doesn't inspire much, but wins against Kerry and Dublin, top 2 in Ireland at present, can't be overlooked.

RedHand88

Quote from: The Trap on March 01, 2020, 01:58:01 AM
Tyrone beat kerry and dublin in bogs and think they are great. Hiding the truth about a lot of failings but who cares.

You, seemingly.

Redhand Santa

Tyrone beat kerry and dublin in bogs and think they are great. Hiding the truth about a lot of failings but who cares.

If you don't care don't comment.

Having got hammered last week, without the two best forwards, and then conceding an early goal to the best team of all time who rarely lose Tyrone could have easily lay down and took a hiding last night. It might mean nothing in the long term but last night when the chips were down the team stood up worked their asses of and ground out a win.

Their work rate, attitude, handling and movement was excellent. Morgan who used to get serious flack on here was excellent again. As were most of the team. The likes of meyler, rafferty and burns created opportunities by direct running. Harte was very good up front and the likes of Cavanagh (who is clean done apparently) put in a big shift.

The lads deserve credit for the win and hopefully can build on it.

Angelo

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 01, 2020, 11:00:01 AM

If you don't care don't comment.

Having got hammered last week, without the two best forwards, and then conceding an early goal to the best team of all time who rarely lose Tyrone could have easily lay down and took a hiding last night. It might mean nothing in the long term but last night when the chips were down the team stood up worked their asses of and ground out a win.

Their work rate, attitude, handling and movement was excellent. Morgan who used to get serious flack on here was excellent again. As were most of the team. The likes of meyler, rafferty and burns created opportunities by direct running. Harte was very good up front and the likes of Cavanagh (who is clean done apparently) put in a big shift.

The lads deserve credit for the win and hopefully can build on it.

It's a long time since I can remember our running game working so well. The support runs were superb, players were breaking tackles and being a lot more daring in doing so.

It can be high risk as if you get overturned you can be left short when you commit those players forward but the overall attitude and desire last night was a real credit to the team. Too many times in the recent past we've had lads just turn back and recycle when we get that far but the intent was there go penetrate Dublin and the decision making and focus was there in very unfavorable circumstances.

Donegal up next and it will be interesting how that one goes. I think a running game is far more suited to beating Donegal. We played open against them last year in Championship and tried to let direct ball in and were ripped apart.

Colm Cavanagh was back to his best last night sitting in front of the defence too. I don't think we have much option but to play this way if or until Donnelly and McShane return.

Angelo

I also thought Coney was very good when he came in last night, got on a lot of ball, was very composed and spread the play well.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: Angelo on February 29, 2020, 09:15:39 PM
That was a very good performance from Tyrone, attitude was superb - obviously with the lack of Donnelly and McShane the conditions suited us tonight.

Burns, Brennan, Morgan, Rafferty and Colm Cavanagh were all superb but I thought Peter Harte was the best player on the pitch. He's been out of form badly of late and has came in for some justified criticism but that will hopefully get him in the groove. I think we have to use him inside like we did tonight for the rest of the year, particularly with Donnelly and McShane missing.

Good to see Hampsey and McKernan back too, thought both did well tonight after their layoffs.

Harte superb yes, and in particular Brennan and Morgan but for me the best player on the field was Rafferty, the man doesn't stop running, must be a nightmare to a corner forward on him, in the past 2 games against Galway and Dublin he cuda finished with 2:3/2:4, a joy to watch!!

Onthe40

still not inconceivable that we could get relegated
could come down to Mayo game
if Mayo beat Galway next day out and Donegal overtone us will leave it interesting

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: Onthe40 on March 02, 2020, 10:22:29 AM
still not inconceivable that we could get relegated
could come down to Mayo game
if Mayo beat Galway next day out and Donegal overtone us will leave it interesting

Big time, a lot of work still to do, at the minute I'm not worried on relegation or not,if we go down then so be it, done Donegal no harm for a year, we just need to keep up performances up at this stage and carry into Ballybofey come championship time!!
Although my head tells me we will be fine, I cant see Mayo going to Galway and getting a result, Mayo struggling big time,some turn around from league winners last season

Onthe40

looks like a complete new mayo team though bar a few
Galway are pretty much through so they could rest a few, I wouldn't rule out Mayo pulling it out

The_Slug

Quote from: Onthe40 on March 02, 2020, 12:25:38 PM
looks like a complete new mayo team though bar a few
Galway are pretty much through so they could rest a few, I wouldn't rule out Mayo pulling it out

can't see them resting players against Mayo, too much of a rivalry and they need one more win to basically guarantee a final place. They'll want to do that against mayo rather than having to try and do it against dublin in the final league game.

Angelo

Galway need a win against Mayo next time out if they want a league final spot. Indeed a win against Mayo likely won't be enough on its own unless Donegal or Monaghan can do them a favour by taking something off Kerry.

southtyronegael

Last 2 games gonna be huge for us especially if mayo beat Galway. Hopefully the weather improves and pitches dry out to see what teams really have. Is there a break this weekend?

RedHand88

Quote from: southtyronegael on March 02, 2020, 01:14:16 PM
Last 2 games gonna be huge for us especially if mayo beat Galway. Hopefully the weather improves and pitches dry out to see what teams really have. Is there a break this weekend?

Yep. Next game in 2 weeks.

WT4E