Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 08, 2016, 08:21:10 PM
Cheers, just have to talk my Ma into watching the wains  :-[

Loved Berlin. My kinda city...beer and museums. Check this place out..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_Island

Currywurst stands on Unter den Linden provide some of the best fast food I have ever tasted. Did I mention Beer...boat trip on the Spree is very interesting...you might need to book to visit the Reichstag....a superb city with loads to do and see...serious history...you can see the footprint of the wall when walking around the city...highly recommended...did I mention Beer.... ;)

The Aristocrat Years

omaghjoe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 08, 2016, 05:22:57 PM
Heading to Berlin with the missus end of March. Anything I HAVE to see or hit Checkpoint Charlie early on and then get stuck into the beer and currywurst?

You could try and get into the techno nightclub the Berghain. Never been but know a few lads who tried to get in and it involved standing in line for 3 hours or something and then being told to feck off when they got to the door. :D

Anyone on here ever get in?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: omaghjoe on January 08, 2016, 09:31:22 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 08, 2016, 05:22:57 PM
Heading to Berlin with the missus end of March. Anything I HAVE to see or hit Checkpoint Charlie early on and then get stuck into the beer and currywurst?

You could try and get into the techno nightclub the Berghain. Never been but know a few lads who tried to get in and it involved standing in line for 3 hours or something and then being told to feck off when they got to the door. :D

Anyone on here ever get in?
Looks like the spot. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/germany/berlin/10601482/Berghain-how-to-get-into-Berlins-most-exclusive-nightclub.html

The Subbie

Tony , If your Mrs is into History tell her to have a look at the times for the guided tours of the Reichstag and the surrounding precincts, unreal,top top notch tour that takes 2 1/2 - 3 hours that absolutely fly by.

The area round the Brandenburg gate is something else as well for a history nut(Like me)

Even having a spin round on the public transport system is a pleasure in Berlin, it is perfect in every way.

Berlin as a city has everything for a short or long break but what I liked most about it was that everything works with no effort at all, people are not pretentious in any way and it is up with New York IMHO as one of the best cities in the world.

5 Sams

Quote from: The Subbie on January 09, 2016, 12:08:55 AM
Tony , If your Mrs is into History tell her to have a look at the times for the guided tours of the Reichstag and the surrounding precincts, unreal,top top notch tour that takes 2 1/2 - 3 hours that absolutely fly by.

The area round the Brandenburg gate is something else as well for a history nut(Like me)

Even having a spin round on the public transport system is a pleasure in Berlin, it is perfect in every way.

Berlin as a city has everything for a short or long break but what I liked most about it was that everything works with no effort at all, people are not pretentious in any way and it is up with New York IMHO as one of the best cities in the world.
+++1
The Aristocrat Years

armaghniac

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 09, 2016, 12:22:49 AM

+++1

+1E99

The 20th century history of the place is so interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CWajaOx4E
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

balladmaker

Anyone ever had the family at one of the First Choice All Inclusive Holiday Villages in Majorca, Tenerife, Ibiza etc?  Wouldn't be the cheapest from what I can see, do you get your money's worth out of the All Inclusive, would you recommend a Holiday Village?

Longshanks

Booking a honeymoon at the moment, thinking of going to the Kuala Lumpur for 3 nights and then 10 nights in bali. Half up in the tradional area of Ubud and half down in a hotel near nusa dua beach. Woman is a bit dodgy flying Malaysia airlines because of obvious reasons although I figure now they would be secure than ever to fly with, cheaper too which I like.

Any thoughts? anyone been out there or recommend it?

Upthecut

Quote from: armaghniac on January 09, 2016, 12:29:03 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on January 09, 2016, 12:22:49 AM

+++1

+1E99

The 20th century history of the place is so interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CWajaOx4E

Have to agree with 5Sams and the Subbie. I would recommend a company called Fat Tire Bike Tours that do brilliant cycling tours of the city. They have one that is about 4 hours long. It was brilliant and i hate bikes. The city is cyclist friendly, flat and you get to see all of the historical sites before you decide where to go for a better look if you want to and you can stop for a beer. The guides know their stuff and it is well worth it.

Tony Baloney

A mate recommended the cycling tour but the wife has FIRMLY ruled it out.

Upthecut

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 14, 2016, 11:10:57 PM
A mate recommended the cycling tour but the wife has FIRMLY ruled it out.

They have an E-Bike which has a motor on them which takes some of the strain. Definitely great craic.

bogball88

Heading to Lanzarote with herself next Saturday for 5 nights. I know the weather is fairly decent this time of year, in the 20's, but does anyone now how busy the nightlife would be this time of year? Was thinking probably mostly retired couples?

omaghjoe

Quote from: Longshanks on January 11, 2016, 10:20:22 AM
Booking a honeymoon at the moment, thinking of going to the Kuala Lumpur for 3 nights and then 10 nights in bali. Half up in the tradional area of Ubud and half down in a hotel near nusa dua beach. Woman is a bit dodgy flying Malaysia airlines because of obvious reasons although I figure now they would be secure than ever to fly with, cheaper too which I like.

Any thoughts? anyone been out there or recommend it?

Been to KL a few times Longshanks good spot but hot and humid.

The Petronas Towers are the obvious choice but go up KL tower and you'll actually be looking down on the Petronas towers. The park and shopping centre around the towers are worth a look too.

Food is deadly there, street food is the way to go, you cant miss it but in China town you'll be falling over it. There is also another area called Jalan Alor (I had to google it) that has tonnes of great street food

Visit little India too, along with the curries there is tonnes of breads cooked right in front of you. Roti Cheanni was my favourite great for breakfast. I got addicted to the Iced Limon (sic) Tea, its actually lime tea but lovely and cool great for the heat.

Dont bother with the ritzy areas they are a rip of shitty anyway.

There is multiple markets selling everything under the sun with ahem various quality levels, barter for everything of course. Also if you need to buy electronics there Malaysia has subsidies on them so they should be cheap.

Never been to Bali but I know a guy who lives there and loves it, was gonna visit a few years back and do the same trip as yerself but didnt work out.

Rois

May have a spare week to go on holiday last week in Feb (rolling straight into a ski trip to France). Any suggestions for a do-able holiday for a week to get some sun (not Europe)?
Cuba was a thought but not too many flights/holidays from the UK or Ireland in Feb. 

Mikhailov

Quote from: Rois on January 15, 2016, 08:36:59 PM
May have a spare week to go on holiday last week in Feb (rolling straight into a ski trip to France). Any suggestions for a do-able holiday for a week to get some sun (not Europe)?
Cuba was a thought but not too many flights/holidays from the UK or Ireland in Feb.

Dubai - only 7 hours away but no doubt with your travel experience you have done it loads of times !!