Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 08, 2010, 02:46:18 PM
Is it more improtant to mark a post or a player? Most people would say the player as last night proved. The reason team can put two players on the posts is that usually the attacking team leaves an extra man back. This together with the corner taker makes 2 spare men for the posts. If you are down to 10 men you do not have two spare men for the posts.

So in short the marking was the problem, not the absence of a man on the post. Carrick should have been closer to Robben. Bayern deserve a bit of credit too because the corner routine was well designed and they held men outside the box to mess up the marking (United players would have been in the box anticipating runs by them) and give the shot more chance of getting through.

Most people I've spoken to today (including supporters of Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal) reckon Rafael was going to get a talking to and no more until the Bayern players surrounded the ref. I forgot though - its only when United surround the ref that its a disgrace. For those who don't think it was a harsh sending off - did no other player on the pitch commit two fouls of equal or worse magnitude? There were only 4 yellow cards in the game and Rafael got two of them. A bit of a joke.

Seanie, that's just wrong. Rafael pulled back a lad that was running towards goal and had left him behind (for once!). That's a yellow card all day and all night.

magpie seanie

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. It was barely a foul. Ribery tried to hold him off (by raising his right elbow and leaning towards Rafael) until he remembered who was at him and stopped running.

Should there have been other bookings in the game so or were those 4 the only ones? If he reffed to those standards it would have ended up 8 v. 8

Minder

Can anyone explain why Ross4life has started to quote himself in his posts?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

bingobus

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 08, 2010, 02:52:16 PM
You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. It was barely a foul. Ribery tried to hold him off (by raising his right elbow and leaning towards Rafael) until he remembered who was at him and stopped running.

Should there have been other bookings in the game so or were those 4 the only ones? If he reffed to those standards it would have ended up 8 v. 8

I don't post here but have to in this instance. A few backs at OT, many on here where calling for Masch to be sent off for a foul V united. His pull or tug was very similar to Rafaels last night. Ribery raised his elbow and leaned into Rafeal after the foul had been comitted.

Was Maschs a foul and yellow/red card?

ross4life

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2010, 02:46:23 PM
Who are you quoting ross4life?

i have lost count of the amount of people i have Quoted here?

so which Quote??
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ross4life on April 08, 2010, 02:55:31 PM
Who are you quoting ross4life?

i have lost count of the amount of people i have Quoted here?

so which Quote??

:D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Big Sam has managed teams that has won in old Trafford "i should know i was at the games"  even if they do pull off a win united will slip up away to Sunderland & Man City anyways
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

All of them ross4life.

e.g. Big Sam has managed teams that has won in old Trafford "i should know i was at the games"  even if they do pull off a win united will slip up away to Sunderland & Man City anyways

Seanie.

Are you saying that Rafael's foul wasn't a yellow, or are you saying that there should have been others booked for worse? If it's the latter, I've no argument. If the former, I have.

Ribery only 'leaned' into Rafael after he had been pulled back. It could well be that if he didn't do that, the ref would have played advantage and Rafael would have gotten away with it. However he had been pulled back when he was running away from Rafael, ergo he was fouled, ergo yellow card. I can't see any other outcome.

ross4life

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2010, 02:59:45 PM
All of them ross4life.

e.g. Big Sam has managed teams that has won in old Trafford "i should know i was at the games"  even if they do pull off a win united will slip up away to Sunderland & Man City anyways

aye lack of sleep maybe lol  :D

couple of () it needs
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

magpie seanie

All of them ross4life.

Seanie.

Are you saying that Rafael's foul wasn't a yellow, or are you saying that there should have been others booked for worse? If it's the latter, I've no argument. If the former, I have.

Ribery only 'leaned' into Rafael after he had been pulled back. It could well be that if he didn't do that, the ref would have played advantage and Rafael would have gotten away with it. However he had been pulled back when he was running away from Rafael, ergo he was fouled, ergo yellow card. I can't see any other outcome.

I'm saying that I've often seen it not given as a yellow card in the same circumstances and my gut feeling at the time was that the ref was not going to produce the card. I'm saying that the first time he was booked should probably have been a booking the other way (without doubt a foul) which would have meant Rafael's reaction would not have happened. That's why I'm saying its harsh. I'm also saying that there should have been others booked/sent off for similar/worse. United only having 10 men against 11 settled the tie and I don't think the lad did any worse than several others did.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 08, 2010, 03:06:40 PM
All of them ross4life.

Seanie.

I'm saying that I've often seen it not given as a yellow card in the same circumstances and my gut feeling at the time was that the ref was not going to produce the card. I'm saying that the first time he was booked should probably have been a booking the other way (without doubt a foul) which would have meant Rafael's reaction would not have happened. That's why I'm saying its harsh. I'm also saying that there should have been others booked/sent off for similar/worse. United only having 10 men against 11 settled the tie and I don't think the lad did any worse than several others did.

Maybe he didn't and in that context it could be argued by a united fan that it was harsh. However my gut feeling when I was watching it was 'he's gone'. And that was even before the ref blew the whistle.

In isolation that sending off was 100% correct in my opinion. And you're not supposed to referee based on what you've done up to now, you're supposed to referee each incident on it's own merits. (Not trying to be condescending there by the way).

deiseach

it's a shitty situation, and once again Liverpool and United have more in common than anything that differentiates them.

Ugh. And what makes it worse, you're right

small white mayoman

All of them ross4life.

Seanie.

Whether van bommell should have been booked or not Rafael should not have reacted magpie . i think he deserved his 2 bookings and both were needless  and silly
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

supersub

Quote from: small white mayoman on April 08, 2010, 03:12:17 PM
All of them ross4life.

Seanie.

Whether van bommell should have been booked or not Rafael should not have reacted magpie . i think he deserved his 2 bookings and both were needless  and silly
Quote from: small white mayoman on April 08, 2010, 03:12:17 PM
All of them ross4life.

Seanie.

However in regards to the first foul i've seen red given for less, and the same i.e. Beckham v Argentina 98 world cup.

ross4life

looking back over the two tie's

1st leg

united leading 1-0 away looking good

then on 77mins Neville gave away the free-kick with a needless handball, and Ribery with his tame free-kick made its way through the wall and in via a deflection off Rooney.. lucky??

then Evra was the guilty party, dallying on the ball and allowing Olic to steal in & score in the 92 min... lucky?

then rooney get's injured  ::)

2nd leg

United look to be cruising into the semi-finals as they went 3-0

but the whole mood and shape of the tie was turned when Olic took advantage of poor defending by Carrick

their cause being helped when Rafael was sent off (turning point of the game)

having to take off Rooney for a extra defender

Robben's wonder goal capped a period of pressure but they got few chances in between

in conclusion Bayern got alot of breaks in these ties for them to get through & in IMO 9 times out of 10 united would knock them out without much hassle

but that's football