LED bulb Spark recommendations

Started by theskull1, November 24, 2014, 03:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Looking to replace about 15 x MR16s (12volt 50W halogens) with an LED equivalent

I thought our resident spark LL might be able to recommend a decent brand? 

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

laoislad

Not being funny but it really depends on what you want to spend.
I actually just ordered a load of 3w GU10's off Alibaba for about a tenth of the price you'd pay for them here.
Time will tell are they any good but for the price it was worth the risk.

If you want to buy here and spend good money then Philips or Osram are good brands.
I presume you are going to use GU10 LED bulbs now instead of the 12v MR16 and do away with the transformer supplying the bulb? You will have to change out the bulb holder to a gu10 type.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

theskull1

Quote from: laoislad on November 24, 2014, 03:13:28 PM
I actually just ordered a load of 3w GU10's off Alibaba for about a tenth of the price you'd pay for them here.

If you want to buy here and spend good money then Philips or Osram are good brands.
I presume you are going to use GU10 LED bulbs now instead of the 12v MR16 and do away with the transformer supplying the bulb? You will have to change out the bulb holder to a gu10 type if you are.

Yeah ... GU10 is the way I'll need to go. My transformers won't work with LED

Whenever you say "the bulb holder"  ... I take it that means the whole fitting?  :-[  My lovely brushed steel adjustable fittings are obsolete then?  :-[

Would GU10 replacements make for a good christmas present for the wife if I explain all the dress's she could buy with the cost savings (when I make the money back that is)  ;). ?

Must get an account on alibaba (is that the same as aliexpress) and see whats out there...worth a punt as you say

Also need to get a dozen or so G9's replaced as well to LED so I'll look at those as well

Cheers

nrico2006

Bought a rake of them off LEDHUT last year, still going strong and some savings on the electric.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on November 24, 2014, 03:31:06 PM

I presume you are going to use GU10 LED bulbs now instead of the 12v MR16 and do away with the transformer supplying the bulb? You will have to change out the bulb holder to a gu10 type if you are.

Whenever you say "the bulb holder"  ... I take it that means the whole fitting?  :-[  My lovely brushed steel adjustable fittings are obsolete then?  :-[

Would GU10 replacements make for a good christmas present for the wife if I explain all the dress's she could buy with the cost savings (when I make the money back that is)  ;). ?

Must get an account on alibaba (is that the same as aliexpress) and see whats out there...worth a punt as you say

Also need to get a dozen or so G9's replaced as well to LED so I'll look at those as well

Cheers

Can you use AC Mains LED GU10's in wet rooms and bathrooms? I'd have thought the 12V AC transformer yolks would still be required there?

laoislad

Quote from: johnneycool on November 24, 2014, 03:38:26 PM

Cheers

Can you use AC Mains LED GU10's in wet rooms and bathrooms? I'd have thought the 12V AC transformer yolks would still be required there?
A bathroom is split up into different zones (electrically safety speaking) and you can use normal fittings if you put them in the correct zone as per the electrical regs(Irish Standard that is,UK standard might be different I dunno)
You can also buy a gu10 spot that is waterproof and can actually go directly over a shower for example.

laoislad

Cheers
No the bulb holder is just the "socket" so to speak that holds the bulb so you may not need to change the whole fitting. I can't say for sure without seeing the fitting but if you could get a gu10 bulb somewhere, even a blown one, and see will it fit in the fitting and will the clip hold it in place then all you need to do is swap the transformer for the new bulb holder. The bulb holder will come prewired.
It will look like this

Actually come to think of it,it was Aliexpress I used also.

mick999

laoislad

Quote from: mick999 on November 24, 2014, 04:55:45 PM
You could you ebay either..

I've used this company on ebay before, delivered to parcelmotel ..

http://stores.ebay.ie/rapidwarehouseelec/CFL-Energy-Saving-9W-Warm-Wht-/_i.html?_fsub=2808351011
Still about 4euro each.
The ones I've ordered from aliexpress are 1.68 each now. I actually got them for 70c each as they were on sale a few weeks ago.

They could turn out to be shite but sure they didn't cost much and as I said worth the risk.
I bought 30 of them.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-High-Power-Led-lamp-3W-GU10-AC85-265V-Led-Spot-light-Spotlight-Led-Bulb-Cold/2055711736.html

theskull1

Quote from: laoislad on November 24, 2014, 03:49:02 PM
No the bulb holder is just the "socket" so to speak that holds the bulb so you may not need to change the whole fitting. I can't say for sure without seeing the fitting but if you could get a gu10 bulb somewhere, even a blown one, and see will it fit in the fitting and will the clip hold it in place then all you need to do is swap the transformer for the new bulb holder. The bulb holder will come prewired.
Actually come to think of it,it was Aliexpress I used also.

Excellent .... I'll look and see if I have one lying about the house somewhere and take it from there

theskull1

Ordered up a few bits from that site LL ....cheers

bit of a PITA that you get charged a fair whack for shipping once the quantity goes above 2 GU10 bulbs. Was free for 2 so I ordered them along with the bulb holders (plus a few other bits and bobs). Will give me a chance to trial them.

Onto another electrical issue 

I've got some "under counter" lights in the kitchen. 1 standalone kitchen cupboard has 4x20w G4s (wired to 2x60VA dimmable transformers) and another standalone cupboard with only 1x20w wired to a 60VA dimmable transformer)

My problem is that the transformers don't last. I've never been able to source a properly rated transformer for the second cupboard unit with only a single 20W bulb, so I can understand why it keeps burning out on me but I would have expected that the other cupboard to have been trouble free.

I would dim these circuits btw ...(not sure if that's a factor). Maybe my transformers are too cheap and nasty? Converting these to LED I dont think is an option as they're on a lighting control system (Lutron grafixeye) 

laoislad

That's a pity you got charged postage. I got free postage on the 30 I ordered.

I wouldn't think it be a problem swapping out the under counter lights for mains fed LEDs.
I'd have to read up on your lighting control system to say for sure but I'm sure there would be a way around it.

Transformers are always blowing they are a pain in the nuts. Luckily with the invention of these low wattage LEDs they are being used less and less.