Ulster XV to beat Dublin

Started by Angelo, March 07, 2020, 11:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Danny Quinn, Peter Canavan, Oisin McConville and Eamon McGee recently came up with an Ulster XV to beat Dublin.

They agreed on the following side:

1. Morgan (Tyrone)
2. R Wylie (Monaghan)
3. R McNamee (Tyrone)
4. C Cullen (Fermanagh)
5. E Ban Gallagher (Donegal)
6. C McKaigue (Derry)
7. K O'Connell (Monaghan)
8. J Og Burns (Armagh)
9. N Kearns (Monaghan)
10. R O'Neill (Armagh)
11. M Murphy (Donegal)
12. R McHugh (Donegal)
13. P McBrearty (Donegal)
14. C McShane (Tyrone)
15. C McManus (Monaghan)

4 Donegal and Monaghan
3 Tyrone
2 Armagh
1 Fermanagh and Derry

I'd go with the following

1. Morgan (Tyrone)
2. Hampsey (Tyrone)
3. McNamee (Tyrone)
4. Ban Gallagher (Donegal)
5. McHugh (Donegal)
6. McKaigue (Derry)
7. Mooney (Down)
8. McFadden (Donegal)
9. McKiernan (Cavan)
10. Donnelly (Tyrone)
11. Murphy (Donegal)
12. Campbell (Armagh)
13. McGuigan (Derry)
14. McShane (Tyrone)
15. McManus (Monaghan)

5 Tyrone
4 Donegal
2 Derry
1 Armagh, Cavan, Down and Monaghan
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

J70

Patton in goal for me, but you could easily argue for Beggan too.
McBrearty nailed on in the forwards. McFadden is important for Donegal, but I don't know that he would merit a place in an all-Ulster midfield. But that may speak more to the lack of outstanding midfielders.

Angelo

Quote from: J70 on March 07, 2020, 12:13:05 PM
McBrearty nailed on in the forwards. McFadden is important for Donegal, but I don't know that he would merit a place in an all-Ulster midfield. But that may speak more to the lack of outstanding midfielders.

Think Morgan is the best keeper, Beggan and Patton are probably better on their kickouts but Morgan isn't far behind and is much better at commanding his area, a better shot stopper and much more comfortable with the ball in hand than both Patton and Beggan. I don't think Beggan is that great of a goalkeeper once you dismiss his kicking ability, he's been fairly poor for a lot of goals in recent years - the goal Fermanagh got against them a couple of years being the most obvious one, for a big guy he doesn't take charge of the aerial balls.

McBrearty hasn't looked the same since coming back from the ACL, maybe this year he'll return to his previous form but I thought he was poor last year.

As for midfield, I think McFadden is a very underrated player with Cavanagh in decline and the likes of Kearns, Burns, McGee and Kennedy etc still young and needing to show their worth over a few seasons. Niall Grimley is another very good player but I think McFadden has the better defensive nous there. McKiernan is an absolute certainty for me, a rolls royce player who walk onto any county team in the country, including Dublin.

greatpoint

Quote from: Angelo on March 07, 2020, 12:49:44 PM

Think Morgan is the best keeper, Beggan and Patton are probably better on their kickouts but Morgan isn't far behind and is much better at commanding his area, a better shot stopper and much more comfortable with the ball in hand than both Patton and Beggan. I don't think Beggan is that great of a goalkeeper once you dismiss his kicking ability, he's been fairly poor for a lot of goals in recent years - the goal Fermanagh got against them a couple of years being the most obvious one, for a big guy he doesn't take charge of the aerial balls.

McBrearty hasn't looked the same since coming back from the ACL, maybe this year he'll return to his previous form but I thought he was poor last year.

As for midfield, I think McFadden is a very underrated player with Cavanagh in decline and the likes of Kearns, Burns, McGee and Kennedy etc still young and needing to show their worth over a few seasons. Niall Grimley is another very good player but I think McFadden has the better defensive nous there. McKiernan is an absolute certainty for me, a rolls royce player who walk onto any county team in the country, including Dublin.

McBrearty was poor last year? His first game back was against Fermanagh and he scored 1-26 over the following six games, 1-17 from play. Gave Ronan McNamee the run around in the second half of that Ulster semifinal too.

Angelo

Quote from: greatpoint on March 07, 2020, 01:25:06 PM

McBrearty was poor last year? His first game back was against Fermanagh and he scored 1-26 over the following six games, 1-17 from play. Gave Ronan McNamee the run around in the second half of that Ulster semifinal too.

Don't know what game you were watching last year against Tyrone. Donegal absolutely annihilated Tyrone but McNamee had the upper hand on McBrearty when they were getting beat all over the field. McBrearty also had poor games against both Kerry and Mayo. There's no doubting the level and ability of McBrearty but he's had a very serious injury and it's the kind of injury that some players don't return to their previous level from.

McBrearty has a good left foot, he'll still get you a few scores in a game when he's not playing well but his performance levels last year were way below what we've seen from him in the past. You look at his displays in previous years, the one in the qualifier at Croke Park against Cork where he beat them on his own and the league match against Dublin a couple of years back. We haven't seen that level from McBrearty since - from a neutral perspective he's an awesome player so hopefully he will get back to it.

greatpoint

Quote from: Angelo on March 07, 2020, 01:38:38 PM

Don't know what game you were watching last year against Tyrone. Donegal absolutely annihilated Tyrone but McNamee had the upper hand on McBrearty when they were getting beat all over the field. McBrearty also had poor games against both Kerry and Mayo. There's no doubting the level and ability of McBrearty but he's had a very serious injury and it's the kind of injury that some players don't return to their previous level from.

McBrearty has a good left foot, he'll still get you a few scores in a game when he's not playing well but his performance levels last year were way below what we've seen from him in the past. You look at his displays in previous years, the one in the qualifier at Croke Park against Cork where he beat them on his own and the league match against Dublin a couple of years back. We haven't seen that level from McBrearty since - from a neutral perspective he's an awesome player so hopefully he will get back to it.

Go back and watch McBrearty's points in the second half, McNamee couldn't stick with him. His scoring last year even in as you say "poor" form was ahead of McGuigan and McManus, particularly when you look at scores from play. What's the argument for including corner forwards that score less than him? I think you might have to watch that Donegal Kerry match again.

Angelo

Quote from: greatpoint on March 07, 2020, 02:19:11 PM

Go back and watch McBrearty's points in the second half, McNamee couldn't stick with him. His scoring last year even in as you say "poor" form was ahead of McGuigan and McManus, particularly when you look at scores from play. What's the argument for including corner forwards that score less than him? I think you might have to watch that Donegal Kerry match again.

Go back and watch the game.

McBrearty didn't score until the 53rd minute when the game was well and truly over.

McNamee was winning that battle hands down, he was about the only Tyrone man to come out with any credibility in that game. By your logic, Darren McCurry came off the bench in the second half in that game and gave Donegal the runaround as he had the same scoring return in the second half as McBrearty and this was for a team who were getting beaten all over the pitch.

You are completely talking through your hole here. It's quite obvious all you saw of that game were the highlights on the Sunday Game as you don't know what you're talking about.

Throw ball

Quote from: Angelo on March 07, 2020, 11:45:02 AM
Danny Quinn, Peter Canavan, Oisin McConville and Eamon McGee recently came up with an Ulster XV to beat Dublin.

1. Morgan (Tyrone)
2. R Wylie (Monaghan)
3. R McNamee (Tyrone)
4. C Cullen (Fermanagh)
6. C McKaigue (Derry)
8. J Og Burns (Armagh)
9. N Kearns (Monaghan)
10. R O'Neill (Armagh)
11. M Murphy (Donegal)
12. R McHugh (Donegal)
14. C McShane (Tyrone)
15. C McManus (Monaghan)

4 Donegal and Monaghan
3 Tyrone
2 Armagh
1 Fermanagh and Derry

1. Morgan (Tyrone)
2. Hampsey (Tyrone)
3. McNamee (Tyrone)
5. McHugh (Donegal)
6. McKaigue (Derry)
7. Mooney (Down)
8. McFadden (Donegal)
9. McKiernan (Cavan)
10. Donnelly (Tyrone)
11. Murphy (Donegal)
12. Campbell (Armagh)
13. McGuigan (Derry)
14. McShane (Tyrone)
15. McManus (Monaghan)

5 Tyrone
4 Donegal
2 Derry

Personally think any team picked has to include Rian O'Neill. 

Angelo

Quote from: Throw ball on March 07, 2020, 02:43:39 PM

1. Morgan (Tyrone)
2. R Wylie (Monaghan)
3. R McNamee (Tyrone)
4. C Cullen (Fermanagh)
6. C McKaigue (Derry)
8. J Og Burns (Armagh)
9. N Kearns (Monaghan)
10. R O'Neill (Armagh)
11. M Murphy (Donegal)
12. R McHugh (Donegal)
14. C McShane (Tyrone)
15. C McManus (Monaghan)

4 Donegal and Monaghan
3 Tyrone
2 Armagh
1 Fermanagh and Derry

1. Morgan (Tyrone)
2. Hampsey (Tyrone)
3. McNamee (Tyrone)
5. McHugh (Donegal)
6. McKaigue (Derry)
7. Mooney (Down)
8. McFadden (Donegal)
9. McKiernan (Cavan)
10. Donnelly (Tyrone)
11. Murphy (Donegal)
12. Campbell (Armagh)
13. McGuigan (Derry)
14. McShane (Tyrone)
15. McManus (Monaghan)

5 Tyrone
4 Donegal
2 Derry

O'Neill is a fantastic talent but I think his decision making has to develop a bit yet, he is still a bit too indulgent and you could question his discipline. His talent is unquestionable though.

I thought Armagh's best forward last year was Campbell, O'Neill would have got a lot of the plaudits with his scoring return but I thought Campbell was immense, particular in the Mayo game where he was the best player on the pitch, he's well able to kick a score and has a superb engine.

What's the story with Murnin this year? Is he currently injured or has he dropped off the panel. He's another excellent forward and one who could really thrive on the advanced mark rule.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on March 07, 2020, 02:47:23 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on March 07, 2020, 02:43:39 PM

1. Morgan (Tyrone)
2. R Wylie (Monaghan)
3. R McNamee (Tyrone)
4. C Cullen (Fermanagh)
6. C McKaigue (Derry)
8. J Og Burns (Armagh)
9. N Kearns (Monaghan)
10. R O'Neill (Armagh)
11. M Murphy (Donegal)
12. R McHugh (Donegal)
14. C McShane (Tyrone)
15. C McManus (Monaghan)

4 Donegal and Monaghan
3 Tyrone
2 Armagh
1 Fermanagh and Derry

1. Morgan (Tyrone)
2. Hampsey (Tyrone)
3. McNamee (Tyrone)
5. McHugh (Donegal)
6. McKaigue (Derry)
7. Mooney (Down)
8. McFadden (Donegal)
9. McKiernan (Cavan)
10. Donnelly (Tyrone)
11. Murphy (Donegal)
12. Campbell (Armagh)
13. McGuigan (Derry)
14. McShane (Tyrone)
15. McManus (Monaghan)

5 Tyrone
4 Donegal
2 Derry

O'Neill is a fantastic talent but I think his decision making has to develop a bit yet, he is still a bit too indulgent and you could question his discipline. His talent is unquestionable though.

I thought Armagh's best forward last year was Campbell, O'Neill would have got a lot of the plaudits with his scoring return but I thought Campbell was immense, particular in the Mayo game where he was the best player on the pitch, he's well able to kick a score and has a superb engine.

What's the story with Murnin this year? Is he currently injured or has he dropped off the panel. He's another excellent forward and one who could really thrive on the advanced mark rule.

ONeill needs to be in it but you have a point about his decision making.
Campbell is a fantastic player. Murnin is still injured. I see him in the gym from time to time tho so hopefully not too far of being back

greatpoint

Quote from: Angelo on March 07, 2020, 02:24:12 PM

McBrearty didn't score until the 53rd minute when the game was well and truly over.

McNamee was winning that battle hands down, he was about the only Tyrone man to come out with any credibility in that game. By your logic, Darren McCurry came off the bench in the second half in that game and gave Donegal the runaround as he had the same scoring return in the second half as McBrearty and this was for a team who were getting beaten all over the pitch.

You are completely talking through your hole here. It's quite obvious all you saw of that game were the highlights on the Sunday Game as you don't know what you're talking about.

Why are you getting so upset? Here's what the Irish News said:

QuotePaddy McBrearty: After his injury problems it's good to see the Kilcar forward back to his best. His pick up and pass to create Jamie Brennan's second goal chance were a joy to watch and he finished the game with three points. 7.5/10

http://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//sport/gaafootball/2019/06/10/news/how-the-donegal-players-rated-against-tyrone-1638055/content.html

QuoteRonan McNamee: Tracked Patrick McBrearty and, although he had moments of success, the Kilcar foward won the war, finishing with three points in the game. 5.5/10

http://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//sport/gaafootball/2019/06/10/news/how-the-tyrone-players-rated-against-donegal-1638078/content.html

Angelo

Quote from: greatpoint on March 07, 2020, 03:47:56 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 07, 2020, 02:24:12 PM

Why are you getting so upset? Here's what the Irish News said:

QuotePaddy McBrearty: After his injury problems it's good to see the Kilcar forward bak to his best. His pick up and pass to create Jamie Brenna's second goal chance were a joy to watch and he finished the game with three points. 7.5/10

http://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//sport/gaafootball/2019/06/10/news/how-the-donegal-players-rated-against-tyrone-1638055/content.html

QuoteRonan McNamee: Tracked Patrick McBrearty and, although he had moments of success, the Kilcar foward won the war, finishing with three points in the game. 5.5/10

http://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//sport/gaafootball/2019/06/10/news/how-the-tyrone-players-rated-against-donegal-1638078/content.html

McBrearty didn't register on the scoreboard until the 53rd minute, a second half substitute for Tyrone, who had been comprehensively outplayed had as much of an impact on the game on the scoring aspect. McBrearty on the other hand was playing for a side who were dominating Tyrone and he was extremely quiet until the last 15th minutes when the game had been long over as a contest.

I'm not getting upset, I'm merely pointing out that it is clear as day that you didn't see the game going by your comments. Donegal were rampant that day and if McBrearty had been in form the scoreline would have been a lot worse, McNamee had the better of him for the most part of the game.

time ticking away

Bomber your arrogance and aggression is a big bit annoying
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

ardtole

I would have Darren OHagan from Down in the defence, his consistency is remarkable. He is a very tight man marker and can also break out from defence, setting up scores and chip in with an odd one two. Very under rated outside of Down.

Ryan Jones of Fermanagh is another player who has impressed whenever I've seen him play.

imtommygunn

I would agree with those two and Monaghan are more than a one man team. If you look through all the Ulster teams there are no standout midfielders. I would actually say Eoin Donnelly as good as any and bar mchugh O'Connell maybe best whb around Ulster. Ohagan definitely an excellent player. Burns still a bit young / raw and maybe gets more publicity because of the da though I think when he matures a bit he will be very good.