Cricket in Croker???

Started by Celt_Man, May 20, 2010, 07:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Cricket coming to Croke Park

20 May 2010

History will be made next month when the Australian cricket team will train at Croke Park.

The GAA has given permission to the Australian squad to train at the Jones' Road venue ahead of their One-Day International against Ireland at Clontarf on June 17.

The training session was approved as a part of the GAA's Croke Park marketing strategy to showcase the stadium, which opened its doors to rugby and soccer for the first time following the relaxation of Rule 42 in 2005.

Croke Park stadium director Peter McKenna said in the Irish Independent: "The Australian cricketers were aware of Croke Park from watching their international rules and rugby teams playing there and were keen to have a run-out on the pitch.

"Central Council agreed to permit it as a special event. Anything that gets the Croke Park brand out there in the marketplace is important. We're in a very competitive space right now."

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

lawnseed

not 100% sure but i think that the founders of the gaa wanted cricket to be one of the main games of the assoc. maybe we could devise compromise rules......
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

jodyb

Quote from: lawnseed on May 20, 2010, 10:57:18 PM
not 100% sure but i think that the founders of the gaa wanted cricket to be one of the main games of the assoc. maybe we could devise compromise rules......
Well rounders is one of the 4 official GAA sports ....... you never know :P

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

lawnseed

and your in luck jody as i am an official gaa rounders coach
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Ya the Irish invented Cricket, the English just added the sticks. It is recorded as far back as the 11'th century and called lub, luban or lubog'.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

muppet

Michael Cusack was reportedly a fan until he decided it was elitist.
MWWSI 2017

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on May 21, 2010, 12:48:41 AM

Michael Cusack was reportedly a fan until he decided it was elitist.

Muppet maybe in a Parallel Universe Mayo are on 36 Cricket All-Ireland titles, Roscommon on 22, Cavan 9, Antrim, Wicklow & Leitrim 6 a piece. We do have a fine pitch already here in Castlebar, the Mall (town green is originaly a Cricket Green) Bloody Micheal Cusack  :D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

stephenite

thejuice

By special occasion I assume it means 'paying for the privialge'. Is the reason GAA teams cant get a chance to train in Corke park the fact that they aren't coughing up the cash?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Zapatista

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 20, 2010, 11:35:56 PM
Doesn't make any sense.

+1.

Why wouldn't they just train in the pheonix park like everyone else?

This doesn't make sense either-
Quote"The Australian cricketers were aware of Croke Park from watching their international rules and rugby teams playing there and were keen to have a run-out on the pitch

Do they sit at home watching rugby an think 'wow I'd like a  run out on that pitch'? It's kind of sad if they do. That quote sounds to me like a cheap attempt to plug international rules and rugby in croke park and I would doubt if it had anything to do with it. It's more likely they googled 'pitches in dublin'.

southdown

armaghniac

I'm bowled over.

QuoteIt's more likely they googled 'pitches in dublin'.

They probably used googly.com.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

southdown

I'm stumped to see how it will work