2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Cassidy

With all respect to London can someone please tell me how the pace of the game could be too much for some of the Laois players?

blueandwhite1

Good update Helmut.

For me it is quite simple. We don't have enough athletic skillful players. One by one the new guys are being replaced by the older guys who don't have the pace to compete. This crisis in Laois football will continue until we have the right type of talent flowing through. Until then, the manager will suffer the consequences rather than the football board and the clubs, who shoulder the true responsibility.

BallyroanAbu

Hard County to satisfy, unbeaten coming off a double relegation.  I think we should be more than happy with how things are going thus far considering what's available.  I do think we will be found out at some stage but there is 22 bad teams in the country.  Rome wasn't built in a day, first year management team they will learn a lot this year.  On another day we would have beaten London by 12.  I do agree what's coming through is not been maximized, every resource should be thrown at our underage set up.  Not just what they ask for we should go beyond this,  it's not good enough our U20's were left in limbo for 4 months.  If we are ever to improve this is where it will come from, the county board has to take the lead here in setting standards. 

blueandwhite1

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on March 12, 2018, 01:55:25 PM
Hard County to satisfy, unbeaten coming off a double relegation.  I think we should be more than happy with how things are going thus far considering what's available.  I do think we will be found out at some stage but there is 22 bad teams in the country.  Rome wasn't built in a day, first year management team they will learn a lot this year.  On another day we would have beaten London by 12.  I do agree what's coming through is not been maximized, every resource should be thrown at our underage set up.  Not just what they ask for we should go beyond this,  it's not good enough our U20's were left in limbo for 4 months.  If we are ever to improve this is where it will come from, the county board has to take the lead here in setting standards.

It is all about being better than as many teams in Ireland as possible and reaching levels that we have previously reached. I said it at the start of the league and I still think the same. I would rather us not get promoted and have a new team capable of building over 2-3 years into a competitive one than have the same team barely making promotion with no potential for the future. Based on limping over the line against mostly very poor teams this year, we are in danger of standing still with the same team we had over the last few years. Although we can't fault the guys that are there for effort, it is hard to see green shoots that will take us beyond division 3.

Laoiseabu

What's the crack with Donie coming off? That's a bad sign? Was he poor ? Was he not arsed or what?

Tony

Quote from: Laoiseabu on March 12, 2018, 05:03:41 PM
What's the crack with Donie coming off? That's a bad sign? Was he poor ? Was he not arsed or what?
He came off with 5 minutes remaining having ran his legs off and busrted a lung. Get a grip. "Was he not arsed or what". Stupid comment. Yeah, not arsed, just like you were clearly not arsed even going to see the match or read up properly about it or listen to it. Donie's putting in very hard graft in training and doesn't deserve to be talked in those terms, in my opinion, from some faceless twat on the net.

Laoiseabu

Tony before you start calling people twats I've loads of inside links in the panel so I know the suss

Laoiseabu

And as regards u calling me not arsed going to London well what was their to be gained from going? It was very poor according to reports .

town1980

A win is a win but lads let's be real we are playing shite opposition and quality of the games just drag everything down...Carlow and Antrim are two of the worst teams in the country and there miles better than what's below them.. we won't see much about how tactically this management set teams up till they play better opposition but they can only beat what's in front of them at the minute..but far stiffer tests lie ahead I think us and Carlow in the league final

O moore parklife

Quote from: Laoiseabu on March 12, 2018, 08:05:05 PM
And as regards u calling me not arsed going to London well what was their to be gained from going? It was very poor according to reports .
Supporting the players was what was to be gained
Jaysus

Don Draper

Quote from: Tony on March 12, 2018, 07:29:45 PM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on March 12, 2018, 05:03:41 PM
He came off with 5 minutes remaining having ran his legs off and busrted a lung. Get a grip. "Was he not arsed or what". Stupid comment. Yeah, not arsed, just like you were clearly not arsed even going to see the match or read up properly about it or listen to it. Donie's putting in very hard graft in training and doesn't deserve to be talked in those terms, in my opinion, from some faceless twat on the net.
Ha, I like Donie, but the day he bursts a lung will be the day he's running for his life, and not before it. Donie is what he is at this stage, and thats all there is to it. He's never going to be a midfielder, thats for sure. We now have a problem, in that there's not enough room for Gary in the corner, and Donie can only really play full forward. I have faith in Sugrue to figure it out.

I wouldn't be too worried about the margin of victory on Sunday, if we'd converted what we should have, we'd have bet them out the gate. When we didn't, we left ourselves in a dogfight on foreign soil. They got the job done. Thats all that matters for now.

Tony

It's all relative though, Don. Donie is not that fit at the moment, so playing an inter county game for 65 mins is very taxing, so he wasn't far off bursting a lung. It's a pity Donie's fitness isn't on a good level but he's still trying very hard. Proper fitness takes years and Donie tends to go in and out of fitness quite quickly. Anyway, besides all that, I think Midfield is an ok position for him, if his fitness was a lot better and he knows the position well with his club. It's hard to know Donie's best position to impact the team but if his fitness gets to a decent level this year, I'd alternate his position him between 11 and 14 as appropriate. In modern football, positions and numbers don't mean half as much as they did anyway.

Helmut

Tony as much as I like Donnie, and I think hes far and away our most skillful player, I cant see him every being a midfielder at a decent level in the game.
Todays best midfielders are hard tackling and non stop moving up and down the pitch. Thats never going to be Donnies game. Look at the work rate of John O Loughlin and you can see there's a world of difference.
Plus I dont think were that blessed with talent up front we can take him out of there. He can literally make a score from nothing at times.

redsetanta

It will be very interesting if Antrim can beat Carlow next Sunday. Sets up a big derby game the following week with winner taking all.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi