Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Season or two ago a Rugby Union team in England gave a sub a blood capsule to get around a blood sub rule (cant mind the team).

Only a matter of time before someone here is caught at it (assuming it is already taking place left, right and centre)

AZOffaly

Quote from: Taylor on June 22, 2017, 03:30:40 PM
Season or two ago a Rugby Union team in England gave a sub a blood capsule to get around a blood sub rule (cant mind the team).

Only a matter of time before someone here is caught at it (assuming it is already taking place left, right and centre)

That was Harlequins against Leinster in a Heineken Cup Quarter Final. Nick Evans it was. They went so far as to cut him with a razor in the dressing room after to try and head off suspicion.

BennyCake

Tomato ketchup would do the same trick.

Taylor

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 22, 2017, 04:18:05 PM

That was Harlequins against Leinster in a Heineken Cup Quarter Final. Nick Evans it was. They went so far as to cut him with a razor in the dressing room after to try and head off suspicion.

That's the one. I have no doubt it is in our games as well. No reason to believe it isn't when we are already up to our neck in diving, drugs etc etc  :-\

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: tyroneman on June 10, 2017, 07:14:26 PM
One that you rarely see is the sideline ball being moved infield.

Pretty sure if the ref is being given cheek he can move the sideline kick onto the pitch playing area if it is more adventageous, just like he can move a normal free closer to goal.

In the Offaly replay there was something similar. After Heslin scored one of the late goals, Tommy McDaniels ran into the goal, retrieved the ball and kicked it straight into the stand. Referee brought the kickout forward the 13m and the keeper took it out of his hands. Fella operating the scoreboard thought the referee was giving a free out due to where and how the kickout was taken and promptly removed the goal from the scoreboard. This led to confusion in the stand and on the various media platforms until it reappeared without notice on the scoreboard 5 minutes later.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Taylor on June 22, 2017, 07:54:46 PM

I witnessed in a Tyrone senior championship game a few years ago, a player go down injured and the physio coming on to treat him, it was pretty obvious he wouldnt be able to continue and the team had already used their subs,so the physio hit him a box in the mouth to draw blood !!

Happened right in front of us,we couldnt believe it ;D ;D ;D.

That's the one. I have no doubt it is in our games as well. No reason to believe it isn't when we are already up to our neck in diving, drugs etc etc  :-\
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

PMG1

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 23, 2017, 10:25:41 AM
Quote from: Taylor on June 22, 2017, 07:54:46 PM

I witnessed in a Tyrone senior championship game a few years ago, a player go down injured and the physio coming on to treat him, it was pretty obvious he wouldnt be able to continue and the team had already used their subs,so the physio hit him a box in the mouth to draw blood !!

Happened right in front of us,we couldnt believe it ;D ;D ;D.

I remember that incident well,  think there was actually red sauce used, was laughable but they went on to won the game

tonto1888

Going to use roscommons second goal as an example but there's plenty. How many steps can you take? Do refs just ignore it at times?? Or have I missed a rule change?

Main Street

I'm confused (common enough) on the difference between a legal 2 /3 man tackle and an illegal one.
Oft times I see almost exactly the same scenario being played out, a player on the ball receiving slaps/blows from 2 or more players simultaneoulsly, sometimes the foul is given, sometimes not.

Zulu

You're only allowed play the ball so if any of the three defenders hit Donaghy rather than the ball it was a free, though I know that's not really how it's reffed. Thought it was a free myself.

Main Street

You wouldn't mind (within reason) contact from one tackler in an attempt to get the ball, happens all the time,  but 2/3  players flaying away simulaneoulsy with arms and hands  is a clear foul.  I thought the interpretation was back in the day of the swarm, that there could only be one active while others can swarm around, blocking.

Hardy

There's nothing in the rules (never was, I'm fairly sure) about the number of players who can tackle and I don't remember any interpretation of rules that considered the number of payers involved.

I think it's one of those mythical rules that were imagined into existence by force of erroneous reference, like rolling ball, you can't tackle the goalkeeper, etc.

Esmarelda

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 09, 2017, 10:37:48 PM
Going to use roscommons second goal as an example but there's plenty. How many steps can you take? Do refs just ignore it at times?? Or have I missed a rule change?
No, but  you've missed a full thread on the subject.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Hardy on August 02, 2017, 01:39:56 PM
There's nothing in the rules (never was, I'm fairly sure) about the number of players who can tackle and I don't remember any interpretation of rules that considered the number of payers involved.

I think it's one of those mythical rules that were imagined into existence by force of erroneous reference, like rolling ball, you can't tackle the goalkeeper, etc.

Correcto (2 turns ref!)