Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

J70

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 23, 2024, 03:59:51 PMJim McGuinness

"There's a lot of people hellbent in the GAA in talking down the provincial championships, even though the provincial championship in Ulster, there is no change on it. It's still the exact same thing that it always was,"

"But people's perception of it, that people are not taking it seriously or people are focusing on the All-Ireland, it's absolute nonsense. A paper doesn't refuse ink, or conversations on podcast.

"The bottom line for us is that it will always be the number one competition. Whenever we're out of that competition, the next one will be the number one competition. There is two competitions every single year, in terms of championship football, and you focus on the first one first and the second one second.

"That is absolutely it. For us, everything from that very first training session to that ball being thrown in at Celtic Park is focused on that moment, nothing else.

"We will obviously be going out to win as many games as we can in Division 2, you're trying to get promotion, keep the wheel turning, build the positivity and try and get up into a higher level for the next year.

"But the only reason you're trying to do that is to be in a better place against better teams so you're better positioned for the Ulster championship."

Well said by McGuinness. Devenney did a good interview with him, which is where this quote is from.

Especially with Ulster so competitive right now. I could see someone downplaying it a bit during periods when the province is not that strong (we won a couple of relatively handy ones in 2018 and 2019) but you've a couple of teams who should be aiming for AI semis at least, and several more who could beat any of them on the day.

Goldengreen

Quote from: J70 on January 23, 2024, 05:46:37 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on January 23, 2024, 03:59:51 PMJim McGuinness

"There's a lot of people hellbent in the GAA in talking down the provincial championships, even though the provincial championship in Ulster, there is no change on it. It's still the exact same thing that it always was,"

"But people's perception of it, that people are not taking it seriously or people are focusing on the All-Ireland, it's absolute nonsense. A paper doesn't refuse ink, or conversations on podcast.

"The bottom line for us is that it will always be the number one competition. Whenever we're out of that competition, the next one will be the number one competition. There is two competitions every single year, in terms of championship football, and you focus on the first one first and the second one second.

"That is absolutely it. For us, everything from that very first training session to that ball being thrown in at Celtic Park is focused on that moment, nothing else.

"We will obviously be going out to win as many games as we can in Division 2, you're trying to get promotion, keep the wheel turning, build the positivity and try and get up into a higher level for the next year.

"But the only reason you're trying to do that is to be in a better place against better teams so you're better positioned for the Ulster championship."

Well said by McGuinness. Devenney did a good interview with him, which is where this quote is from.

Especially with Ulster so competitive right now. I could see someone downplaying it a bit during periods when the province is not that strong (we won a couple of relatively handy ones in 2018 and 2019) but you've a couple of teams who should be aiming for AI semis at least, and several more who could beat any of them on the day.

This is the interview on Spotify
https://open.spotify.com/episode/6YhR5cwPaA0HD5iwSQGhTR?si=vyF4sCEYSS2J5_RCrfyN1A

Captain Scarlet

How is everyone else shaping up, apart from Jimmy and the lads?

Kildare have no squad announced. No clue who is injured. The team will be named 5 minutes before throw-in. That's after a 1 hour drive to a home game in another county. Then we will wonder why so few turned up...

I honestly have no idea how we will do against Cavan. It could be a big win or a terrible loss...

You should see Donegal, Armagh and Cork being front runners.

Meath and Kildare could easily see the wheels fall off, but think Louth and Fermanagh will be for the drop. How are Cavan building up?

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Armagh18

Is Galligan back for Cavan?

illdecide

Cavan will be loving everyone writing them off, could surprise a few of us.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 25, 2024, 04:09:28 PMHow is everyone else shaping up, apart from Jimmy and the lads?

Kildare have no squad announced. No clue who is injured. The team will be named 5 minutes before throw-in. That's after a 1 hour drive to a home game in another county. Then we will wonder why so few turned up...

I honestly have no idea how we will do against Cavan. It could be a big win or a terrible loss...

Meath and Kildare could easily see the wheels fall off, but think Louth and Fermanagh will be for the drop. How are Cavan building up?

Probably as cheaply as possible, you know Cavan people and how tight they are with money.

Armagh18

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 25, 2024, 05:51:44 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 25, 2024, 04:09:28 PMHow is everyone else shaping up, apart from Jimmy and the lads?

Probably as cheaply as possible, you know Cavan people and how tight they are with money.
Sure didn't they time winning that Ulster perfectly during covid their county board didnt have to fork out for a homecoming ;).

And yes I know it's a lot more than we've won in a long time before someone says it!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 25, 2024, 05:56:58 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 25, 2024, 05:51:44 PM

Sure didn't they time winning that Ulster perfectly during covid their county board didnt have to fork out for a homecoming ;).

And yes I know it's a lot more than we've won in a long time before someone says it!
Cute hoors from Cavan.

Itchy

Blowitupref

John Cleary has named a 36 man Cork panel for the league.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Quote from: Itchy on January 25, 2024, 09:11:29 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 25, 2024, 05:28:24 PMIs Galligan back for Cavan?

Which Galligan
The midfielder who got the all star the year ye won Ulster- he was away travelling I think but maybe has been back since and I've missed it. Super player.

tonto1888

Armagh name two half backs in the half forward line. Gonna be a long year

Itchy

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 25, 2024, 09:25:32 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 25, 2024, 05:28:24 PMIs Galligan back for Cavan?

Which Galligan
The midfielder who got the all star the year ye won Ulster- he was away travelling I think but maybe has been back since and I've missed it. Super player.

Thomas Galligan and no he's still on his travels. His brother James is on the panel though.

Armagh18

Quote from: Itchy on January 25, 2024, 09:35:11 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 25, 2024, 09:25:32 PM

Which Galligan

Thomas Galligan and no he's still on his travels. His brother James is on the panel though.
Pity for yourselves, rate him very highly he's the sorta lad you'd love on your team. Is big McKiernan retired?