2018 Joe McDonagh Cup

Started by Mossy Bruce, March 20, 2018, 11:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on May 03, 2018, 10:30:33 AM
Any ideas for the team for Saturday?

Should be a strong pick for Kelly if everyone is available bar Healy and a couple of others. Forwards should certainly be strong with Picky back. The backs have been fairly consistant all year so shouldn't be any surprises there.

Having the likes of Picky and Palmer back from injury is a big boost. Healy can't be too far away either.

Pity to see young Hartnett leave the panel. I thought he looked the part during the league against some serious opposition at times. Is Palmer back with the county? Not named on the official panel. Would be great to have as a corner back option.

I think it is all about how many of our players have found form and are up to the pace. Would be great to see lads like Cha, Mark Kavanagh, PJ Scully and Ben Conroy step up from the league.

Westmeath will be a serious challenge. We beat them narrowly last year and they are back-boned by the 2 under-21 teams that beat Kilkenny 2 years ago and ran them close last year. Last years team beat our U21s which had a lot of our senior panel involved. Not talking them up for the sake of it, they have some fine hurlers.

Going to be nice weather on Saturday and exciting to be heading to O'Moore Park. Should bring out the crowds. Important game.

redsetanta

Pity about Hartnett, any particular reason for leaving?

I read where Healy won't be back with the county this year but Palmer would be a huge addition. Joe Phelan can fill the corner spot but as you say Palmer would be a very decent option for the corner or as cover for some of the other back positions. Can he still be brought back onto the panel?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on May 03, 2018, 02:37:07 PM
Pity about Hartnett, any particular reason for leaving?

I read where Healy won't be back with the county this year but Palmer would be a huge addition. Joe Phelan can fill the corner spot but as you say Palmer would be a very decent option for the corner or as cover for some of the other back positions. Can he still be brought back onto the panel?

I wonder is he just getting game time with Camross before he goes back with county? Was a tough injury. Could never fault him for commitment in the past.

Mossy Bruce

Has the starting fifteen for tomorrow's match been announced, yet?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on May 04, 2018, 09:57:24 PM
Has the starting fifteen for tomorrow's match been announced, yet?
Yes. You'll find it on laoisgaa.ie
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

blueandwhite1

What a day. Can't beat championship. I hope all the hard work will pay of today. Strong team and a few subs who can make an impact. Will be tough but I fancy our chances.

merman

I've been very quiet on here recently but Eamon Kelly should not be Laois manager.

Fair play to Westmeath; deserved winners. I hope we meet them again.

Hard luck to our lads. They deserve better!

G@@

Laois 1-21 v 2-21 Westmeath.

Laois only hurled for the last fifteen minutes of the first half when they were immense, otherwise Laois looked switched off and expecting the result to happen by itself. Though our full back line was woeful throughout.

A disappointing result and we really have it all to do in the next fortnight with two games on the road to arguably the better two teams in this group - Kerry and Antrim. One more slip up and we'll be looking for favourable results in other games that we won't be playing in. This is finely balanced now.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Keyser Söze

Quote from: merman on May 05, 2018, 05:43:13 PM
I've been very quiet on here recently but Eamon Kelly should not be Laois manager.

He won't rock the boat and the CB know what they are getting. He will be there for as long as he wants it.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

merman

Quote from: Keyser Söze on May 05, 2018, 06:13:25 PM
Quote from: merman on May 05, 2018, 05:43:13 PM

He won't rock the boat and the CB know what they are getting. He will be there for as long as he wants it.

Let's be honest. This is the issue.

SpeculativeEffort

We were annihilated in the air and in the scraps. Westmeath hb line dominated throughout especially no.7 whereas our hb line were in trouble with Clarke and Mitchell especially in 2nd half. Couldnt win our own puck outs and lacked fight. Hopefully we can turn this around.

Giovanni

When Merman makes a statement like that, you know things are bad.

I don't know much about the setup but I came to the same conclusion at the match today. For me, there were two main signs that the management is not up to it. First, the team just didn't look motivated. Westmeath just worked so much harder all over the field. If the team isn't properly motivated, you can't look beyond the manager. The second thing is tactics. I just cannot understand how, in 70 minutes, they couldn't come up with a strategy to deal with the opposition puckouts.

I have to say I have never seen a Laois hurling team to be so lacking in passion.

If you compare that with what we saw from Cheddar's team against Offaly just a few years ago, the difference is remarkable. And we probably have better players now....

CruiseCigar

What happened today lads.before this game started there was optimism of lifting a cup in croke Park. I did not see that result coming today. Thought the team would be really up for it.
Laoise abú

Keyser Söze

Scores conceded has been our biggest issue for the last two seasons.
Cheddar was laughed at in some quarters for trying to address it.

Conceding 2-21.....to Westmeath.....games are generally not winnable from that position.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Laoiseabu

There's a biffo managing our team . Please help us