Hunting

Started by The Iceman, May 15, 2017, 09:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

I see a lot of commotion about banning hunting on FB and TV.  I grew up hunting with hounds and terriers and lurchers. It was part of country life. Most of the country lads I went to school with did the same. I travelled all over the Northern counties to meet with other "Foot Hound" hunts and always enjoyed the sport and the camaraderie with the groups.
There's still houndsmen in Armagh.
There's plenty of lads lamping still and shooting foxes and other vermin.

What are folks thoughts on it? Is it a big show made for FB? Are people dead set against it? Are those against it all folks that would be classified as "townies"?
Where do you stand?
Is any form of hunting ok?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

I don't like hunting. I don't like sports where one of the teams doesn't know they are playing.

The Subbie

Firmly for it.
With vermin control needed in farming and rural circles I fail to see how it can be banned apart from the relentless zeal of a the do gooders needing an outlet

trileacman

I don't agree with this shite that only townies oppose hunting. I'm a country lad born and bred and I would have no time for this hunting shite. Pile of rich pricks doing untold harm to the countryside and wildlife.

People talk about foxes as if we're tripping over them at ever turn. They're not that populous and hunting is in no way "Vermin control". If I wanted to control the fox population I'd go out and rip up a few plantings, hedgerows and scrub ground with a digger. That's happening regularly enough and we're not over-run with any animal in this country that's fit to do any harm. The only exception I'd put to that are  cats.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

I'd say Mitsubishi shoguns kill more foxes in a year than bloodhounds do. It's not vermin control in my eyes.

The Iceman

Quote from: trileacman on May 15, 2017, 09:48:54 PM

I'd say Mitsubishi shoguns kill more foxes in a year than bloodhounds do. It's not vermin control in my eyes.
It's also not all rich pricks on horses. We hunted and we had nothing to do with the horsey men. The majority of people who hunt in Ireland are working class rural people.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

bennydorano

Grew up similarly, going hunting with dogs was a regular occurence and I certainly didn't consider it cruel at the time but I was a youngster and wouldn't have been thinking too deeply about it at the time, i'd say I haven't done it since I was 15/16. I wouldn't be encouraging my own kids to take it up.

bennydorano

Yokes?

bennydorano

Quote from: The Iceman on May 15, 2017, 09:53:53 PM

It's also not all rich pricks on horses. We hunted and we had nothing to do with the horsey men. The majority of people who hunt in Ireland are working class rural people.
I was going to say it was a bit of a working class thing myself.

Eamonnca1

Grew up in the country myself. I don't agree with hunting and I don't think that tradition is justification for anything. "Traditional route down the Garvaghy Rd" springs to mind.

Rossfan

Barn reared and live in one of the most rural Counties in Ireland.
Totally opposed to "hunting".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

I absolutely detest hunters who try to appropriate rural Ireland and try and make out that their niche interests are somehow an intrinsic part of the fabric of rural life that town folk just don't understand.

The fact no one in the hunting community will ever admit to is that they are probably disliked most of all in rural Ireland because the problems and harm they cause isn't philosophical but real, day-to-day issues that people in the countryside have to deal with directly. The amount of farmers I know whose fences have been destroyed on these organised hunts or whose cattle have been shot near because some idiot has seen a fox or a pheasant in the field over is unreal. So few of them have any respect for private land.

Vermin control, would ya ever cop on. That might sound good to the uneducated townies but anyone in the countryside knows you'll get a lot more done with some poison than dressing up like Jack Charlton and wandering around a hedgerow with a 300 euro peashooter.

The actual number of people I know who are hunters is incredibly low too, indeed most people don't even have a gun in their house and would never want one darkening their door in the first place.

I'd sooner go to a protest against hunting than I would one about water charges or any of that shite people waste their time with these days.

trileacman

I wouldn't go as far to call it cruel but it's just very pointless. I wish people would give their time to eradicate a real social menance and not some innocent animal trying to get by in a human dominated world.

If hunting was directed towards daily mail readers, vegans or  cross-fitters I'd have no problem with it.

The Subbie

Quote from: Syferus on May 16, 2017, 12:25:50 AM
I absolutely detest hunters who try to appropriate rural Ireland and try and make out that their niche interests are somehow an intrinsic part of the fabric of rural life that town folk just don't understand.

The fact no one in the hunting community will ever admit to is that they are probably disliked most of all in rural Ireland because the problems and harm they cause isn't philosophical but real, day-to-day issues that people in the countryside have to deal with directly. The amount of farmers I know whose fences have been destroyed on these organised hunts or whose cattle have been shot near because some idiot has seen a fox or a pheasant in the field over is unreal. So few of them have any respect for private land.

Vermin control, would ya ever cop on. That might sound good to the uneducated townies but anyone in the countryside knows you'll get a lot more done with some poison than dressing up like Jack Charlton and wandering around a hedgerow with a 300 euro peashooter.

The actual number of people I know who are hunters is incredibly low too, indeed most people don't even have a gun in their house and would never want one darkening their door in the first place.

I'd sooner go to a protest against hunting than I would one about water charges or any of that shite people waste their time with these days.

Have you statistics -verified source would be nice - of all these cattle that are shot by field sports enthusiasts?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Syferus on May 16, 2017, 12:25:50 AM

Spot on. Remember the RISE campaign? "Rural Ireland Says Enough"? Letting on it was a grass-roots revolt to defend stag hunting but it was nothing but an astroturf campaign with that grumpy cretin An Fear Rua hired as a mouthpiece. The tally-ho crowd tried to pass themselves off as representative of all rural dwellers but I don't think they fooled too many people.