Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clubber Lang

Can you tell me any team in the last 10 years came back from a half time scoreline like that away from home in a championship game and went on to win??

Antrim in Portlaoise about three years ago. They were hockeyed next day out.

While it was a thrilling comeback, Wexford losing their best defender to injury helped swing that game hugely. Donie ran riot in the full forward line there after. I wouldn't be too critical of lads who were substituted off as as a collective Laois misfired badly in the opening half. Any one of about 10 lads could have justifiably been substituted. I also wouldn't get carried away praising lads that came on as momentum had shifted and much easier impress when you have the run of things. 

The game will certainly stand to Laois and they will learn from this. Westmeath will be a tough test as they have proved capable of beating every team in Leinster (bar Dublin) in championship these last few years. Egan, Martin, Heslin as already highlighted are excellent players so improving our defensively frailties will be crucial. We cannot afford to offer up the simple scores Wexford were given in that opening half.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Clubber Lang on May 14, 2018, 02:01:02 PM
The game will certainly stand to Laois and they will learn from this. Westmeath will be a tough test as they have proved capable of beating every team in Leinster (bar Dublin) in championship these last few years. Egan, Martin, Heslin as already highlighted are excellent players so improving our defensively frailties will be crucial. We cannot afford to offer up the simple scores Wexford were given in that opening half.

Is it really practical that Laois will learn to track opponents, tackle and to play an effective defensive system in the next 2 weeks? Massive challenge for sure.

Tony

Great result to go down to Wexford and get the win. We didn't make it easy for ourselves but the heart shown was unreal in one of the best comebacks I've ever witnessed. Really enjoyable to follow the lads this year. Everyone is giving their absolute all. Donie, JOL and Colm Begley were my picks of the match. We'll likely see some changes for the Westmeath game. That's a tough one to call.

The PRO

I wouldn't be too critical of lads who were substituted off as as a collective Laois misfired badly in the opening half. Any one of about 10 lads could have justifiably been substituted. I also wouldn't get carried away praising lads that came on as momentum had shifted and much easier impress when you have the run of things.
A fair point but you'd have to say the first three changes were all very successful. Getting O'Connor back to his best position was important too.

Dave like the tv channel

Can you tell me any team in the last 10 years came back from a half time scoreline like that away from home in a championship game and went on to win??

It'd be rare enough in hurling, let alone football.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Andy06

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on May 16, 2018, 12:06:00 AM
Well said Colm...

Colm Parkinson: Why do the GAA sell rights to RTÉ when this is the product they offer?

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/colm-parkinson-rte-160136?utm_content=bufferfdc88&utm_medium=Social+organic&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

The coverage of GAA by the Sunday Game is something that has been utterly atrocious for a long time, and drives me friggin' mental.
The one thing about the GAA you can say is that at least they try different things, too much at times with the constant changing of the hurling leagues and championship. Majority of them are fairly bad (Super 8's) and always money driven but at least they have some sort of fresh thinking.
RTE on the other hand are still delivering up the same old rubbish format that they have for 3 or 4 decades now.

This garbage of showing extended highlights of a game that was on only a few hours earlier followed by yet MORE analysis by a bunch of lads rehashing what was said earlier is just mind numbing!
All the while the other matches are given lip service. Wicklow got their first win in 5 years in the Leinster championship, huge for them and their supporters-2 mins. Carlow have now won a Leinster game in two consecutive years, again huge for them-2 mins. And of course the excitement of the Wexford Laois game-2 mins.
In this day and age, how can the RTE not have some set of decent cameras at those games, like they have chaps there via the radio so just get them to do the full coverage. It is an utter shambles and has been for ages and yet we are being forced to hand over cash for it.

I would love for someone to get the rights and just give it a real good coverage. Sky if they really wanted to could sell it much better with a highlights package during the week,  they could also have the possibility of selection of a different number of live matches on at the same time, something they already do with the soccer. It would blow the pathetic showing RTE throw up out of the water and you would hope result in a raising of the benchmark of how GAA should be covered.

Butch Cassidy

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Andy06 on May 16, 2018, 08:34:50 AM
Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on May 16, 2018, 12:06:00 AM
Well said Colm...

Colm Parkinson: Why do the GAA sell rights to RTÉ when this is the product they offer?

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/colm-parkinson-rte-160136?utm_content=bufferfdc88&utm_medium=Social+organic&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

The coverage of GAA by the Sunday Game is something that has been utterly atrocious for a long time, and drives me friggin' mental.
The one thing about the GAA you can say is that at least they try different things, too much at times with the constant changing of the hurling leagues and championship. Majority of them are fairly bad (Super 8's) and always money driven but at least they have some sort of fresh thinking.
RTE on the other hand are still delivering up the same old rubbish format that they have for 3 or 4 decades now.

This garbage of showing extended highlights of a game that was on only a few hours earlier followed by yet MORE analysis by a bunch of lads rehashing what was said earlier is just mind numbing!
All the while the other matches are given lip service. Wicklow got their first win in 5 years in the Leinster championship, huge for them and their supporters-2 mins. Carlow have now won a Leinster game in two consecutive years, again huge for them-2 mins. And of course the excitement of the Wexford Laois game-2 mins.
In this day and age, how can the RTE not have some set of decent cameras at those games, like they have chaps there via the radio so just get them to do the full coverage. It is an utter shambles and has been for ages and yet we are being forced to hand over cash for it.

I would love for someone to get the rights and just give it a real good coverage. Sky if they really wanted to could sell it much better with a highlights package during the week,  they could also have the possibility of selection of a different number of live matches on at the same time, something they already do with the soccer. It would blow the pathetic showing RTE throw up out of the water and you would hope result in a raising of the benchmark of how GAA should be covered.

Agree totally with you Andy, we are far too soft in this country with the likes of RTE. 20 years ago we were getting the same snippets of other games, usually the scores and re-runs of the scores.
Today it's no better, nothing about the setup of the teams, the build-up to scores, etc. Looking at the highlights of Laois v Wexford you got no sense of the atmosphere, the tension during the comeback or the elation of the winners at the end of the game. Terrible coverage of important games for the majority of the country but lots of chat and coverage of the game that most GAA people had already watched that afternoon....
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Unlaoised

Phone was out of action couldnt post for a few days!

I enjoyed that game altough I thought we were very Naive in the first half and we went for goals when we could have got back into the game taking points.

I still had hope at half time just due to the fact I know what spirit is there this year and how we opened them up in the first half.

Benny Carroll and Donoher made a huge difference.

Best players on the day for me were Brody Timmons and  O Loughlin ..Attride was man of the match.

Donoher Carroll and paul kingston were excellent from the bench.

Great to hear the Laois Laois Laois chant back...

I can't wait to go to tullamore I hope we get another good crowd and they are vocal like they were in wexford park!

Laois Abu
LAOIS ABÚ

Laoiseabu

A string of key players have walked away from the Westmeath panel whatever is going on up there.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Laoiseabu on May 18, 2018, 12:46:29 PM
A string of key players have walked away from the Westmeath panel whatever is going on up there.

Like who?
LAOIS ABÚ

justinn

Westmeath have been dealt a massive blow ahead of tomorrow week's Leinster SFC quarter-final against Laois with the withdrawal of vice-captain James Dolan from the squad.

It's understood that Dolan informed manager Colin Kelly that he will spend the summer in Boston after training on Tuesday night, just two days after captaining the Lake County in their O'Byrne Cup final loss to Meath. The Garrycastle wing back has been one of Westmeath's leading performers in recent years and also one of their leading goal-scorers. Agruably his most important goal came in the Leinster SFC semi-final victory over Kildare two years ago.

Dolan will link up with another stalwart Westmeath defender, Kevin Maguire, in Boston. The Caulry clubman hasn't played for his county this year after spending the last few months travelling. The Lake County's defensive options have been further reduced in recent weeks following the decision by Killian Daly to opt out due to work commitments.

Corner back Mark McCallon is struggling to make the Laois game with a shoulder injury, while there are concerns over the fitness of captain and top-scorer John Heslin, who is battling a hip flexor injury.

Heslin's St. Loman's team-mate Paul Sharry hasn't made himself available for selection this season, while Tommy McDaniel has been ruled out for the rest of the year after suffering a horrific facial injury while playing for Castleknock in the Dublin SFC recently.

Laoiseabu

Thanks Justinn you saved me a post 👍 That's a lot of key players Westmeath are down . Has to be a good thing for us