?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

maldini

Mowbray has set Celtic back over 10 years, what a terrible team

In hindight getting rid of mcmanus, caldwell, robson and mcdonald in January were bad mistakes. look at the idiots theyre left with Josh Thompson would struggle to get a game in the irish league

clear the lot of them out and start again

wanderer

How and why is everything Mowbrays fault?

Team Today;
Strachan's signings Zaluska, Hinkel, Naylor, Brown, Samaras;
Homegrown players McGeady, O'Dea;
Mowbrays signings Thompson, N'Guemo, Fortune
Plus 2 of the 3 subs were Strachans signings.

Fair enough there's an argument that he was rash in getting so many out the door at one time, but if you go through them
McManus, lost count of the number of times that I have heard Celtic fans bemoan how poor he is and how he should be dropped/sold etc and then when he leaves he is suddenly Baresi
Caldwell was going at the end of the season on his bosman. Decent player and if injury situation was predicted would have stayed to the summer. But again, Celtic (and Hibs) fans were calling him a liability for an age.
Hartley was on the way downhill when he joined Celtic, had his peak at Hearts and although a reliable head I don't believe he would have stemmed the flow today
Robson & McDonald were 2 I would have kept, although in saying that McDonald seemed to believe that he had a right to be in the Celtic team every week and when he was on the bench threw the toys out of the pram.#

Like someone else said, I think getting rid of Mowbray was a mistake. For all the talk about Lennon installing passion etc, if you don't have it in you, the manager can't give it to you on the way out of the changing rooms.
The team today was a joke, Keane on his own upfront with Samaras wandering about lost (when he managed to stay on his feet), subbing N'Guemo a ballwinner in the first half and bringing on Crosas who never looks comfortable in frantic games. McGeady & Fortune not interested. Celtic got what they deserved

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 10, 2010, 02:40:56 PM
maybe LDA can tell is if part of the problem was that Lennon and mcgrain 'didnt fully appreciate' the challenge for the 'old firm' clubs !!

Another strange statement. Without doubt both men fully appreciate that Celtic have to beat Ross County whatever the circumstances. The idea that Mowbray was starting "to get it right" that you keep rolling out is ridiculous and anybody claiming this lacks credibility.

Celtic were terrible today and were well beaten. People can blame Strachan, Mowbray, Lennon and the Board but the simple fact is Celtic should have been capable of winning today regardless of who was in charge. No Ross County player is on more than £400 a week. The Celtic team has no leadership though and too many players just werent up for it. The Celtic board now have a major job on their hands to find somebody who can come and sort out the shambles left by the previous manager.

Great credit to Ross County who have come a long way in a short time, they were in the Highland League until 1994. Dingwall is a town of only 5000 people but the town and surrounding area gives its club great support and deserve their day in the sun. A great football story and will be most refreshing to have a cup final without either side of the Old Firm.

lynchbhoy

No stranger than that blinkered daft notion that to suceed in Scotland that you must understand Celtic/rangers and the hoopla surrounding them you put up prev!
Certainly Lennon knows! Strachan knows. Mowbray IMO did know. None really suceeded!

Other than that you re-iterate what I said - apart from where mowbray was starting to succeed... He got rid of the obv rubbish ....but that was 6 months too late!!! And also was getting clean sheets... But too late.

Wanderer has it spot on apart from remembering that robson has been out inj for the past two seasons and mcdonald was also battling inj for the past 18 months as well as an over inflated attitude and loss of work ethic!

Would like to see Dundee it'd winning a trophy...just rewards for their play these past few seasons!

ONeill

Jays Mowbray has reduced a side with limited potential to a complete shambles. Noises from Celtic suggest his training regime was a joke.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 10, 2010, 10:27:28 PM
No stranger than that blinkered daft notion that to suceed in Scotland that you must understand Celtic/rangers and the hoopla surrounding them you put up prev!
Certainly Lennon knows! Strachan knows. Mowbray IMO did know. None really suceeded!

Perhaps you will explain this "hoopla" I put up. Are you referring to me saying Mowbray did not appreciate what was required of a Celtic manager? His comment that Celtic fans might excuse him this disaster of a season if he delivered a treble three years down the line proved that point quite conclusively. The idea there were positives to take from a 4-0 defeat to St.Mirren again showed he had somehow failed to grasp what was required.

The Strachan obsession is tiresome to be honest, its be done to death on here and is irrelevant to Celtic's defeat today. Once again I dont think he is a great manager but he delivered Celtic 3 titles and took them to the latter stages of the Champions League twice despite having a reduced budget in comparison to MON. He made a mess of the final months of his final season and the time was right for him to go but he still left a solid enough squad which a competent manager could have built upon with the right additions. Mowbray managed to take it backwards. You suggest he cleared out the rubbish but it was his legacy which left Celtic with a centre defence today of a kid from Stockport who wasnt supposed to be near the first team this season (and it shows) and a lad who couldnt get a game for Reading. I dont know a single Celtic supporter who believes Mowbray was making progress or that the board paniced in removing him, it was obvious the poor man was out his depth and that it was beyond him to turn it around. You dont really seem to be in touch with the situation at Celtic or in Scottish football in general.

Atticus_Finch

Celtic should approach Mick McCarthy, you know it makes sense.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

T Fearon

People seem to think that the likes of Hodgson etc would even consider coming to Celtic. Not in a million years. Its not like 10 years ago when the job was attractive to managers the calibre of O'Neill etc.

Do players on 30 grand a week care or is it possible to motivate them for games against Ross Co?

Bottom line is that this time last year Celtic were a passionate competitive side, and one that would have won the Scottish Title had they beaten Hibs at Easter Road in the penultimte game, instead of doing everything but score in a nil all draw.Strachan was manager.

This year its a shambles and the blame must lie squarely with the person who was manager for best part of this season

saffron sam2

Quote from: T Fearon on April 11, 2010, 12:03:55 AM
People seem to think that the likes of Hodgson etc would even consider coming to Celtic. Not in a million years. Its not like 10 years ago when the job was attractive to managers the calibre of O'Neill etc.

Do players on 30 grand a week care or is it possible to motivate them for games against Ross Co?

Bottom line is that this time last year Celtic were a passionate competitive side, and one that would have won the Scottish Title had they beaten Hibs at Easter Road in the penultimte game, instead of doing everything but score in a nil all draw.Strachan was manager.

This year its a shambles and the blame must lie squarely with the person who was manager for best part of this season

Bottom line is last year Celtic finished second in the league and lost a Scottish Cup quarter-final.

This season Celtic will finish second in the league and have lost a Scottish Cup semi-final.

Progress, albeit slow, you have to admit.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Myles Na G.

Other than that you re-iterate what I said - apart from where mowbray was starting to succeed... He got rid of the obv rubbish ....but that was 6 months too late!!! And also was getting clean sheets... But too late.

Wanderer has it spot on apart from remembering that robson has been out inj for the past two seasons and mcdonald was also battling inj for the past 18 months as well as an over inflated attitude and loss of work ethic!

Would like to see Dundee it'd winning a trophy...just rewards for their play these past few seasons!
3 league titles in a row, 2 last 16 CL finishes. - that's not succeeding in your eyes? But Mowbray's team was 'improving'?  ::)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on April 10, 2010, 11:12:36 PM
Perhaps you will explain this "hoopla" I put up. Are you referring to me saying Mowbray did not appreciate what was required of a Celtic manager? His comment that Celtic fans might excuse him this disaster of a season if he delivered a treble three years down the line proved that point quite conclusively. The idea there were positives to take from a 4-0 defeat to St.Mirren again showed he had somehow failed to grasp what was required.

The Strachan obsession is tiresome to be honest, its be done to death on here and is irrelevant to Celtic's defeat today. Once again I dont think he is a great manager but he delivered Celtic 3 titles and took them to the latter stages of the Champions League twice despite having a reduced budget in comparison to MON. He made a mess of the final months of his final season and the time was right for him to go but he still left a solid enough squad which a competent manager could have built upon with the right additions. Mowbray managed to take it backwards. You suggest he cleared out the rubbish but it was his legacy which left Celtic with a centre defence today of a kid from Stockport who wasnt supposed to be near the first team this season (and it shows) and a lad who couldnt get a game for Reading. I dont know a single Celtic supporter who believes Mowbray was making progress or that the board paniced in removing him, it was obvious the poor man was out his depth and that it was beyond him to turn it around. You dont really seem to be in touch with the situation at Celtic or in Scottish football in general.
only yourself can explain the daft notion that you need to know 'about the old firm and whats involved etc' (paraphrasing) to be a successful manager in Celtic or rangers.
Thas daft - Wim Jansen and even MON wouldnt have had that knowledge !
To take a managers comments after a defeat and use them as your evidence !
says it all !

Mowbray is guity of many things , wrong doings.
But his team had started getting clean sheets, this run seemed to only happen after jettisoning the gruesome twosome centre halves (who have gone to cause calamity elsewhere).  Thats progress (arrested by the st mirren game though).

Celtic fans were going beserk at the abysmal centre half pairing for the past couple of seasons, and when eventually mowbray got rid of them - after eventually spotting that they were sihte and getting new , better , cheaper and younger replacements in for them - yes thats huge progress !
its a pity these lads all got inj after playing mere minutes for the side.

Also josh thompson did better against that big falkirk striker than three or four gary caldwells could ever manage -in their last league meeting which I was over at (away).
Thompson is not the answer, but after seeing caldwell and mcmanus being beaten hands down for the past couple of years because they are not good enough to play centre half - well they would have made no improvement on yesterdays or the st mirren match.

as for strachans 'results' - yes against a floundering rangers team at the time - it was easy to pick up league titles, just as it was for them to win the league when MON was focussing elsewhere.
To say that strachan had done well at bringing Cetic to last 16 of CL - yes he did, but it speaks volues on the luck of the group stage draw more than the managers ability - as it was obv the side were not even half as good as MON's Celtic, but MON never got out of group stages - so are you saying strachan is better than MON? hardly!

It was obv to all that strchan was regressing Celtic with each pasing season. Buying duds (scots internationals) and more third rate rubbish like mccourt and mcginn.

Better players were (and still are required) - Id think Hoiveld and Rogne are in this bracket, but they havent been playing long enough to give more than an inkling.First glimpse loks good though.

myles- you want to continue the farce by having Celtic appoint another untried and untested manager - you are most def a rangers fan !

Atticus, I would also give mcCarthy a go, I have also posted on here prob end of last season that I would love hodgson to be brought in.
Maybe if villa piss off MON he will come back.. unlikely though.
Celtic have to stump up the cash this time and avoid another pastry chef manager.

Myles Na G.

'myles- you want to continue the farce by having Celtic appoint another untried and untested manager - you are most def a rangers fan !'

Lambert is on his third club and has improved each one he's been at - not completely untried and untested, then. His managerial career so far mirrors that of MON at the same stage. He doesn't have managerial experience at the top level yet, but Celtic can't afford anyone who has and who isn't already a busted flush in managerial terms. Lambert, as a player, was an intelligent midfielder, showing the flexibility to shine in both the Bundesliga and the SPL. He could play football and he could stick the foot in when necessary. The qualities of intelligence, toughness, and adaptability are the ones that make for good managers. Celtic should get him now.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 11, 2010, 11:24:54 AM
only yourself can explain the daft notion that you need to know 'about the old firm and whats involved etc' (paraphrasing) to be a successful manager in Celtic or rangers.
Thas daft - Wim Jansen and even MON wouldnt have had that knowledge !

You arent "paraphrasing", you are inventing something I never said. Your debating skills are as poor as your general knowledge of Scottish football. Still at least you managed to get Thompson's name right this time. Embarrasing stuff altogether.

I see Andreas Hinkel past match bemoaning the fact that all the leaders in the team had been moved on over the past few months, guys who could have taken hold of the game and lifted Celtic yesterday when things were going wrong. Seems you know better than him as well.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Poor performance last night again, took Motherwell to score to waken Celtic up.
Still a wins a win.
Anyone else think that Josh Thompson is better as a forward then a central defender!
Tbc....

bingobus

How many was at it? Looked like about 10-15k.

Have the loyal Celtic supporters thrown the towel in altogether? I hear that the season ticket renewals aren't too healthy either.