?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 07, 2021, 11:31:43 PM
According to the 2019 Global Sports Salary Survey, the average pay for top-flight players is £61,024 per week.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1265233/Premier-League-average-salary-player-wages-cut/amp
Average salary of around 60k per week which would mean, going by your figures, we would be paying Eddie a premier league salary

Yes average salary in the EPL

I'm talking about the best player in Scottish football.

How much do you think Celtic will have to pay to get a player of Edouard's calibre in?

If at the start of last season or this season, we got Ajer, Christie and Ajer in, sat them down and gave them the improved contracts they deserved then we would not be facing the prospect of losing them for about half what we should be getting for them this summer.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on February 07, 2021, 11:35:54 PM
According to the 2019 Global Sports Salary Survey, the average pay for top-flight players is £61,024 per week.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1265233/Premier-League-average-salary-player-wages-cut/amp
Average salary of around 60k per week which would mean, going by your figures, we would be paying Eddie a premier league salary

How much do you think Celtic will have to pay to get a player of Edouard's calibre in?

If at the start of last season or this season, we got Ajer, Christie and Ajer in, sat them down and gave them the improved contracts they deserved then we would not be facing the prospect of losing them for about half what we should be getting for them this summer.

So you're changing the goal posts now. First of all you said 65k per week is not EPL wages. It is.

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 07, 2021, 11:53:32 PM

So you're changing the goal posts now. First of all you said 65k per week is not EPL wages. It is.

Nope. I'm very much sticking to my guns. It is you who is misrepresenting what I said and trying to move the goal posts.

I want Celtic to pay the best player in Scotland 65k pw. The equivalent to the highest paid player in Scotland would be the highest paid player in England. Think that is De Gea who earns nearly 400k a week.

You also chose to ignore my question. How much will it cost us to replace Edouard with a player of his calibre. It's almost like you don't want to answer the question as it fundamentally undermines your argument.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:13:25 AM

Nope. I'm very much sticking to my guns. It is you who is misrepresenting what I said and trying to move the goal posts.

I want Celtic to pay the best player in Scotland 65k pw. The equivalent to the highest paid player in Scotland would be the highest paid player in England. Think that is De Gea who earns nearly 400k a week.

You also chose to ignore my question. How much will it cost us to replace Edouard with a player of his calibre. It's almost like you don't want to answer the question as it fundamentally undermines your argument.

And what exactly is my argument? You said 65k per week isn't EPL wages but 200k is. 60k per week is EPL wages. So are advocating paying Eddie EPL wages. Thats  my only argument here

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 12:20:13 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:13:25 AM

And what exactly is my argument? You said 65k per week isn't EPL wages but 200k is. 60k per week is EPL wages. So are advocating paying Eddie EPL wages. Thats  my only argument here

For top earners.

We are talking about the best player in Scotland, the player who I'd make the top earner in the league to keep him there and you are comparing that with the average EPL wage, average.

I am advocating playing the best player in Scotland an average EPL wage.

And once again, a point blank refusal from you to answer a question for the third time.

I'll try again.

How much do you think it will cost Celtic to replace a player of Edouard's calibre? Please answer this.

tonto1888

You said 65k isn't EPL wages. You've just been shown it is. You throw out random statements with no proof and just want people to accept them as fact.

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 10:08:00 AM
You said 65k isn't EPL wages. You've just been shown it is. You throw out random statements with no proof and just want people to accept them as fact.

Yes I did. For top earners.

The equivalence is giving the best player in Scotland average EPL wages.

We can take it that you have lost the argument now as you have refused to answer a question put to you on it on four separate occasions now.

JimStynes

Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 10:31:53 AM

We can take it that you have lost the argument now as you have refused to answer a question put to you on it on four separate occasions now.
Like last week when I asked you on numerous occasions how you said Villa were a big club but then the next week you said the premier league was filled full of tinpot clubs.
Celtic shouldn't pay £65k as they can't afford it and they shouldn't need to as they're all ready significantly paying more than any other club. I do agree they should be paying more for a better manager. But Dermot Desmond doesn't pay anything more from his own pocket so Celtic as a club can't pay it. Once they're in the EPL or a European league with big tv money deals then they're going to have to be sensible with their money. They've 22million in the bank. That wouldn't be long going in you were in charge. Read the report on Celtic finances! They're not as great as you think.

Angelo

Quote from: JimStynes on February 08, 2021, 10:56:55 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 10:31:53 AM

Like last week when I asked you on numerous occasions how you said Villa were a big club but then the next week you said the premier league was filled full of tinpot clubs.
Celtic shouldn't pay £65k as they can't afford it and they shouldn't need to as they're all ready significantly paying more than any other club. I do agree they should be paying more for a better manager. But Dermot Desmond doesn't pay anything more from his own pocket so Celtic as a club can't pay it. Once they're in the EPL or a European league with big tv money deals then they're going to have to be sensible with their money. They've 22million in the bank. That wouldn't be long going in you were in charge. Read the report on Celtic finances! They're not as great as you think.

Villa have a history and tradition of a big club. Everton and West Hame don't.

Why can't they afford 65k? That's just a lie you are pedalling, they can afford it and I've given you a whole host of reasons they can afford it.

I'd say we will get half of what we should for Edouard, Ajer and Christie this summer

Edouard £15-20m - should be £40m
Ajer £8-10m - should be £20m
Christie £5-8m - should be £15m-20m

Why? Because we wanted to save £5-6m on wages. We now go into next season with loads of surgery to do on the squad because of the biscuit tin mentality. We have a billionaire owner, are debt free and have £20m sitting in the bank and you're telling me we can't afford to spend £5-6m extra on wages to retain our best players who at the very least will command a good fee when it comes to them being sold off.

Think of the missed CL revenue the past 3 seasons - that's around 100m in revenue the club has missed out on due to the biscuit tin mentaltity and hear you are advocating a strategy that has failed the club.

It defies belief and you guys are way out of touch with the Celtic fans on this because you feel loyal to the people who gave Lennon his chance.

Louther

Celtic don't need this Donegal fella as DoF they have one here that will sort them out very quickly.

Deluded springs to mind if you think those players are worth that. Clubs don't pay that for players from the SPL, too much of a risk and in current climate as well, money not been spent.

And even the dog on the street knows that clubs have to operate in a wage structure. You pay one man £65k a week and you'll have a queue of agents down the hall looking for new contracts and any new signings looking these levels.

By all means, put contracts on table, negotiate and get them adding years to protect value but you can't risk the club on back of potential CL earnings.

I'd have no doubts that Desmond has sounded out new managers but is struggling to get the right man, interest not there at top end to manage a SPL team for 4 old firm games a year.

quit yo jibbajabba

Id be curious as to the last player sold from the Scottish Prem for 40mill but apart from that have no desire to get involved in this debate as i know well who im up against

Angelo

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on February 08, 2021, 11:39:56 AM
Id be curious as to the last player sold from the Scottish Prem for 40mill but apart from that have no desire to get involved in this debate as i know well who im up against

Well if teams aren't willing to pay what Edouard is worth then what reason should Celtic have to sell?

We sold Tierney off for a song. How much do you think he'd go for now if Man City or Man Utd came knocking? £70m?

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 11:26:28 AM
Celtic don't need this Donegal fella as DoF they have one here that will sort them out very quickly.

Deluded springs to mind if you think those players are worth that. Clubs don't pay that for players from the SPL, too much of a risk and in current climate as well, money not been spent.

And even the dog on the street knows that clubs have to operate in a wage structure. You pay one man £65k a week and you'll have a queue of agents down the hall looking for new contracts and any new signings looking these levels.

By all means, put contracts on table, negotiate and get them adding years to protect value but you can't risk the club on back of potential CL earnings.

I'd have no doubts that Desmond has sounded out new managers but is struggling to get the right man, interest not there at top end to manage a SPL team for 4 old firm games a year.

If they won't they pay then they shouldn't go.

They have no problem paying £40m for players from the English Championship so they should not have any problems paying that for players with European football pedigree.

You once again let your bias for beloved English Premier League cloud your judgement.

dublin7

Leeds financial plan(if you can call it that) was based on qualifying for the champions league every year and we all know how that ended. Even if Celtic tried to go on a spending spree they can't sign the top players as they'd have no interest in moving to Scotland due to the poor quality of the SPL and low wages on offer

At the moment all Celtic can do is buy up the top Scottish players in other leagues and bring in youngsters from Europe with potential they can then sell on for a profit.

Only clubs like Chelsea, Man City and their billionaire owners are spending big on transfers at the moment so transfer fees are lower all over the world

Louther

Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 11:47:21 AM

If they won't they pay then they shouldn't go.

They have no problem paying £40m for players from the English Championship so they should not have any problems paying that for players with European football pedigree.

You once again let your bias for beloved English Premier League cloud your judgement.

Sorry wee Man, you're all over the place, could you rewrite the first line in English, thanks.