?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Angelo

Quote from: illdecide on August 27, 2020, 01:46:36 PM
Angelo i take it you don't like Neil Lennon?

Look as i stated last night that result can't be defended and was a howler, NL has not done himself any favours and the doubters he had from the very start are not calling for his head and that's the way football goes. TBH i wasn't aware that there was a bit of unrest in the camp, i thought all was well but clearly not. What happens next? Do you sack him? who do you replace him with? will this knee jerk reaction give the onus to Sevco?

One thing is certain that something has to give...get the players out to f@ck who want their £££ elsewhere or sack NL. One thing i'm certain off is "be careful what you wish for!!!" We'll not be getting another Brendan R anytime soon

I think he is out of his depth as a manager, that's what I think.

We won't be getting another big name manager because Lawwell doesn't want a guy with a big of clout who can call him out for the lack of ambition from the board, he wants a yes man which is why Lennon got the job. He'll never get a job as big as Celtic in his career, simple as that.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

uimhr ocht

Lennon steadied the ship when Rodgers jumped ship and got the team over the line,he lost the hibs dressing room rather quickly and id be worried he could do the same again.Same failings as last year in qualifiers a lot of problems to sort out with this team atm.

Orior

The next three matches are gonna be critical for Neill Lennon.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

lenny

Quote from: Angelo on August 27, 2020, 04:01:23 PM
Quote from: MoChara on August 27, 2020, 02:48:25 PM
Quote from: illdecide on August 27, 2020, 01:46:36 PM
Angelo i take it you don't like Neil Lennon?

Look as i stated last night that result can't be defended and was a howler, NL has not done himself any favours and the doubters he had from the very start are not calling for his head and that's the way football goes. TBH i wasn't aware that there was a bit of unrest in the camp, i thought all was well but clearly not. What happens next? Do you sack him? who do you replace him with? will this knee jerk reaction give the onus to Sevco?

One thing is certain that something has to give...get the players out to f@ck who want their £££ elsewhere or sack NL. One thing i'm certain off is "be careful what you wish for!!!" We'll not be getting another Brendan R anytime soon

Rodgers was good craic in Europe too,  7-0 to Barcelona, and then 5-0 and 7-1 to PSG and Red Imps

Rodgers qualified for the CL 2/3.

Lennon 0/2 with our earliest exit in the qualifying stage since Artmedia Bratislava.

Rodgers was brilliant at changing tactics midway through a game which transformed the game. Lennon is totally incapable of that. Rodgers left him a brilliant legacy but the story is that there is an increasing lack of professionalism around the club which is negatively affecting performances.

illdecide

'Celtic need to stop kidding themselves' - Champions League failure has familiar feel

By Tom English

Last August, Celtic exited Champions League qualifying after conceding four goals at home to Cluj, a header from close range, a ludicrously conceded penalty, a goalkeeping mistake and a final strike that couldn't be classified as one blunder or another, just a range of calamities that put the tin hat on a lousy evening.

Later in the season they departed the Europa League after a 3-1 defeat by Copenhagen in Glasgow, the goals coming this time via a terrible error from a centre-half, a wasteful loss of possession in a bad area and then a third when a striker strolled through powder-puff defending before dynamiting Celtic's chances of going further in the competition.

Then, as now, Neil Lennon spoke of his players having "only themselves to blame". Then, as now, the Celtic manager bemoaned individual errors, lack of concentration at the back and lack of ruthlessness in front of goal.

In documenting the club's failings on Wednesday we may as well have been listening to his interviews from the Cluj and Copenhagen matches. The scorelines were different, but the summary was exactly the same.

Celtic 'only have themselves to blame' for exit - Lennon
Match report: Celtic stunned at home by Ferencvaros
No wonder Lennon is pursuing Brighton's Shane Duffy. The Irishman is not a ball-playing centre-half, he's not a physical specimen. What he's useful at is using his size to physically intimidate attackers. He's got intensity and a desire to defend, qualities that were once again lacking at the critical moments on Wednesday. Hatem Elhamed, Kristoffer Ajer and Christopher Jullien came up short. All three could do with a dose of reality.

Elhamed's defending for Ferencvaros' winning goal was the problem in microcosm - lack of awareness of danger, poor decision-making, absence of attrition when attrition was called for. Credit to Tokmac Nguen for a terrific finish from an acute angle, but he should never have been afforded the opportunity.

Elhamed had one opportunity to clear when the ball was hoofed downfield to begin with, then another after he allowed it to run across him and into Nguen's path. He fluffed it both times.

Goalkeeper Vasilis Barkas might have dug him out of a hole with a save but he wasn't good enough either.

At the back, Celtic are too nice. At their best, Jullien and Ajer have a bit of grace. What they're missing is a bit of grunt.

When you're desperately trying to give your supporters some European glamour to look forward to when they return to Celtic Park and when you're also in need of replenishing your cash reserves with Champions League loot after the pounding the finances have taken through shutdown then cheap goals and an early departure from the main event is a sickener, this season of all seasons.

It seemed like an age before the Celtic directors left their seats and departed the arena. In a moment that spoke of pure angst, Peter Lawwell, the chief executive, buried his head in his hands in the manner of a man who couldn't stand the sight of a potential £30m windfall disappearing in front of his eyes.

He wouldn't have budgeted for that Champions League money, but he'd have fantasised about it all the same.

To lose to a quality side would have been one thing, but to see the dream perish against a side that Celtic really should be beating was quite another. In terms of European reputation and fiscal recovery, this was a horrible blow to the club.

In the minutes after the game Lennon took responsibility for the loss. He was also asked what message he had for his players. "Get your mentality right," he said, before adding that if any of his team don't want to be at the club any more then they should leave. Asked again if he thought any of them were in that category he said some of them were.

He didn't name names, of course. It could have been just a meaningless line uttered in frustration and anger, but if he actually meant it, then that's a damning indictment of one or more characters in his dressing room.

He'll be asked about that comment when he next appears in front of the cameras. His answer will be interesting - as will his team selection for Motherwell on Sunday. Lennon, himself, will have cause for reflection. He got it in the neck when he played Callum McGregor at left-back in the Cluj debacle, a piece of tactical over-thinking that contributed to the failure. He'll get it in the neck again now for playing without a recognised striker against a well-drilled, mentally strong and clinical Ferencvaros team.

Injury robbed him of Odsonne Edouard, but he had two other options - the £4.5m Albian Ajeti or the £3.5m Patryk Klimala. He went with neither of them from the start and instead played Ryan Christie as a makeshift centre-forward. Christie was busy, and scored the equaliser, but he's not a striker.

Time and again Celtic lacked a central presence in the box. On a number of occasions crosses flashed across the penalty area and into the kind of terrain that predators adore. Only Celtic didn't have a predator. There was nobody there to take advantage.

Lennon said Ajeti didn't start because he lacked sharpness. That's understandable given that he's just in the door after spending much of last season kicking his heels at West Ham. Lennon said that Klimala also lacked match fitness. That's a lot less understandable given that he's had a pre-season, won praise for his performances in friendlies in July, then scored against Hamilton on the opening day of the league campaign.

Ajeti appeared as a second-half substitute, but Klimala stayed on the bench. In the closing seconds, with Celtic in full-on crisis mode in pursuit of a goal, Jullien was pushed forward as an auxiliary centre-forward. Since his arrival in January, Klimala has played just eight games and his minutes on the field have been in single figures in four of them. He's a curious case right now.

So Ferencvaros join Cluj and AEK Athens as the teams that have knocked Celtic out of Champions League qualification over the past three seasons. These are not stellar clubs, not outfits with bigger budgets than Celtic. The opposite in fact.

Occasionally, when the stars are aligned, Celtic can find excellence and beat a monied club like Lazio, but it happens rarely enough these days.

Lennon said that Celtic are a better team than Ferencvaros. That may, or may not, be true, but you can't keep saying it in defeat. Celtic had claim on being a better side than Cluj as well. Brendan Rodgers said that they were better than AEK. It gets a bit ridiculous after a while. Celtic need to stop kidding themselves that they're better than sides that have just beaten them.

What normally happens here is that the support will vent a little, they'll give Lennon a blast, some players will be written off and Lawwell will be ordered to deliver more signings on pain of protest.

After that, domestic dominance normally kicks in and European failure is swept away on a tidal wave of noise about 10 in a row. They wrap themselves in the comfort blanket of parochialism - and it's quite a protection. Trophy after trophy, feelgood moment after feelgood moment.

Celtic remain footballing kings of Scotland, but for a club that wants to be acknowledged as a player outside the borders of its own country they suffered more reputational damage on Wednesday night. The glory of Lazio away already seems like a long time ago.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bannside

Its clear NL needs a guiding hand, a voice of reason...an experienced mentor at his side, even quietly in the wings. The tooth whitener had all of this and being the Celtic diehatd he is, made sure he robbed the club of its backroom staff too.

What about John Kennedy or Damien Duff. Have they no worthwhile imput....that job is far to big for one man!

Ironically I thought Celtic were excellent in parts last might. The movement and speed of play was top class....just two slip ups in defence that were punished. Badly needed a proven striker and French Eddy would have had a hat trick if he wasnt feeling "unwell". Something definitely not right behind the scenes - thats for sure!

smelmoth

Is the truth here just simply that Scottish football is pretty poor? The squads are stocked with players who's baseline in England would be bottom third of the second tier. It is going to be exceptionally difficult, coming from that base to compete in Europe. Yes Celtic have more money that many of the sides they have come up short against. But that money is generated because an audience is prepared to follow a team dominating a poor quality league. So money yes but the key football facts don't change.

Against all of that nobody should be under any delusions on where Lennon sits as a manager. He was a free agent in the past after his first stint as Celtic manager. You could list the offers from England on the back of a postage stamp that was shrunk in the wash.

Not sure what reputation Stevie G thinks he is building in Scotland. He probably will get some English offers but I guess that will be based on his name as a player rather as a manager

illdecide

Quote from: bannside on August 27, 2020, 07:51:04 PM
Its clear NL needs a guiding hand, a voice of reason...an experienced mentor at his side, even quietly in the wings. The tooth whitener had all of this and being the Celtic diehatd he is, made sure he robbed the club of its backroom staff too.

What about John Kennedy or Damien Duff. Have they no worthwhile imput....that job is far to big for one man!

Ironically I thought Celtic were excellent in parts last might. The movement and speed of play was top class....just two slip ups in defence that were punished. Badly needed a proven striker and French Eddy would have had a hat trick if he wasnt feeling "unwell". Something definitely not right behind the scenes - thats for sure!

Damian Duff Is no longer with Celtic and with the experience NL has he shouldn't need a joint manager, he does have a back room team...Still so pissed about it

Angelo

Quote from: smelmoth on August 27, 2020, 08:00:33 PM
Is the truth here just simply that Scottish football is pretty poor? The squads are stocked with players who's baseline in England would be bottom third of the second tier. It is going to be exceptionally difficult, coming from that base to compete in Europe. Yes Celtic have more money that many of the sides they have come up short against. But that money is generated because an audience is prepared to follow a team dominating a poor quality league. So money yes but the key football facts don't change.

Against all of that nobody should be under any delusions on where Lennon sits as a manager. He was a free agent in the past after his first stint as Celtic manager. You could list the offers from England on the back of a postage stamp that was shrunk in the wash.

Not sure what reputation Stevie G thinks he is building in Scotland. He probably will get some English offers but I guess that will be based on his name as a player rather as a manager

Pretty much all of Celtic's starting XI would hold its own in the EPL.

The problem at the minute is management, you just need to look at the regression of the likes of Forrest, Rogic, Christie, McGregor and Ajer since Lennon has taken over. It's in his remit as a manager to develop players, bring them on and improve them. We saw what Rodgers did for the likes of Armstrong, Christie, Rogic etc when he came to Celtic - all were players on the scrapheap who were surplus to requirements and he had them playing the best football of their careers. He granted these guys on the fringes the opportunity to come in and they grasped it, the squad was a meritocracy.

With Lennon it is the polar opposite, the set XI is the set XI no matter how flat they look, no matter how out of form they are. The fringe guys like Shved, Bayo and now it looks like Klimala and Soro will just be cast aside until they can get a move elsewhere.

The "lost the dressing room" syndrome isn't going to be far away now.

smelmoth

Quote from: Angelo on August 27, 2020, 08:26:29 PM

What is that based on? Starting 11 for the big European game; Barkas, Elhamed, Jullien, Ajer, Taylor, Brown, McGregor, Forrest, Ntcham, Christie and Elyounousi.

Who out of that are EPL level? I would look at who has already proven themselves at that or equivalent level? I would also consider what players are being looked at by EPL or equivalent sides. I would love to know what your view is based on.

In my close to none of those players are EPL level. I would look at a club like a Southampton or Palace. Both just about survived. Both need to pick up a bargain. I can't see them looking seriously at much in Celtic or Scotland. The quality isn't there and it doesn't come along that often. And Southampton have bought more than most out of Scotland

ned

Quote from: smelmoth on August 27, 2020, 08:54:59 PM

What is that based on? Starting 11 for the big European game; Barkas, Elhamed, Jullien, Ajer, Taylor, Brown, McGregor, Forrest, Ntcham, Christie and Elyounousi.

Who out of that are EPL level? I would look at who has already proven themselves at that or equivalent level? I would also consider what players are being looked at by EPL or equivalent sides. I would love to know what your view is based on.

In my close to none of those players are EPL level. I would look at a club like a Southampton or Palace. Both just about survived. Both need to pick up a bargain. I can't see them looking seriously at much in Celtic or Scotland. The quality isn't there and it doesn't come along that often. And Southampton have bought more than most out of Scotland

I'm certain that not all the Celtic's starting eleven are EPL level but apart from about eight teams in the EPL there are some absolutely average players in the other 12 teams.

smelmoth

Quote from: ned on August 27, 2020, 09:07:37 PM

I'm certain that not all the Celtic's starting eleven are EPL level but apart from about eight teams in the EPL there are some absolutely average players in the other 12 teams.

There are average players for certain in EPL. But those clubs aren't chasing Celtic or SPL players. What does that make them? "Below average"?. That is why I mentioned Palace and Southampton. I could have mentioned West Ham. It will be interesting to see how Ajeti does. Couldn't get a league start in a really struggling West Ham team. Maybe he will do no better in Scotland, especially if he isn't fit

illdecide

I'm actually worried about Ajeti...first impressions are he's a donkey, doesn't look quick nor sharp. I know he's not fit and could take a while to get him into shape but would he really be that much ahead of L Griffiths. I bet NL wished he'd L Griffiths on the pitch last night...that'll be an interesting issue how that fares out now

dublin7

None of Celtic's starting XI have proven themselves in the EPL so I don't know how you can believe that. Only Edouard is even been linked with a transfer to EPL or European side. Look at the teams who have knocked Celtic out of Europe in recent seasons: Cluj, Copenhagen, Ferenvaros. None of whom would be even close to European football heavyweights or contenders.

The new signing from West Ham was a flop and not good enough for the EPL so what does is say about Celtic/Scottish football if he's expected to be their new star striker?

Angelo

I think you vastly overrate the quality of the EPL.

The likes of Burnley, Sheff Utd, Villa, Newcastle etc are full of very average players.