Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Muzz

Im the same about Forster.  Last season he commanded very well and I know he is highly thought of both at Newcastle and in the England underage camps.

Zaluska was amazing for Dundee Utd. before he signed for Celtic but even on Saturday he had a few hairy moments.  Mind you he also made a few decent saves.  We need competition if nothing else!  Cervi is not up to the task at the moment.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Muzz on August 18, 2011, 11:13:51 AM
Im the same about Forster.  Last season he commanded very well and I know he is highly thought of both at Newcastle and in the England underage camps.

Zaluska was amazing for Dundee Utd. before he signed for Celtic but even on Saturday he had a few hairy moments.  Mind you he also made a few decent saves.  We need competition if nothing else!  Cervi is not up to the task at the moment.

Don't know if Cervi will ever come good, Zaluska imho is really only ever going to be a second choice keeper and Forster (as has been said before, scares me sometimes) has his moments, but last year was protected by his defense (which needs strengthening) and more especially the midfield which last season tracked back to shore up the defense, remember we have now lost Izzy.
In short I think Forster is a step backwards for us, we need experience in nets not someone who may come good in the future.
Tbc....

Muzz

Hes gaining that experience with Celtic.  Two gaffs in his first full season playing first team football.  You never know what you are going to get when bringing someone new into the ranks.

He has a partnership already there with Majstorović, Wilson, Mulgrew who will still be there this season. 

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Muzz on August 18, 2011, 01:53:32 PM
Hes gaining that experience with Celtic.  Two gaffs in his first full season playing first team football.  You never know what you are going to get when bringing someone new into the ranks.

He has a partnership already there with Majstorović, Wilson, Mulgrew who will still be there this season.

I agree with what your saaying, but I believe we need experience between the sticks, if we progress in Europe this season he will be surely tested by teams of a lot higher calibre than Saint Mirren, Inverness or Killie etc... I could see Forster and a fantastic number 2 though.
Tbc....

lynchbhoy

i'm not convinced about tonight.
if we can avoid conceeding then it wont be too bad.
Celtic without Kayal , Hooper and a stable central defensive partnership are not in the best of shape for this game.
Ok for the spl but not in europe where teams generally have more money to spend on transfers.

With Izzaguire out, Celtic might be a bit stronger in defence, but lose out on attacking creativity.
This creativity problem is what has cost Celtic the league the past couple of seasons.
I'd like to see McCourt or Forrest start (and not maloney).
Stokes will suffer for missing his strike partner. Sammy plays better up front alone and woul dbe the ideal man for the away leg if Celtic had a lead.

Fishmonger

Can somebody explain to me in words a stupid man would understand what is the craic with this transfer saga and why are the players for Sion not allowed to play?

Forever Green

Quote from: Fishmonger on August 18, 2011, 05:18:43 PM
Can somebody explain to me in words a stupid man would understand what is the craic with this transfer saga and why are the players for Sion not allowed to play?

Not too clued up on the rules but I think Sion were banned from signing players because of financial difficulties. They went ahead and signed five players in the transfer window so FIFA are saying they are not allowed to play. Sion are apparently going to play these new players tonight.

Just a big f**k YOU to FIFA and for that, fair play to them

Fishmonger

under the bar

what channel is the game on?

any decent weblinks?

Muzz

under the bar it was on Channel 67 - online celtic channel.

Didnt get to see the game after all last night.  Disappointing not to score and by the sounds of things Celtic were on top for most of the game.  Anyone that seen it care to give their view?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Muzz on August 19, 2011, 09:06:42 AM
under the bar it was on Channel 67 - online celtic channel.

Didnt get to see the game after all last night.  Disappointing not to score and by the sounds of things Celtic were on top for most of the game.  Anyone that seen it care to give their view?

I watched it Muzz, it was hard going!
Celtic were by far the best team on the night, but were frustrated by a Sion side who had no ambition or intention to attack. It was 10-11 men defending all night, with about 4-5 forays into the Celtic area ALL NIGHT! Celtic's finishing on the night was poor. Stokes started off brightly, but being paired with that big lazy Greek gobshite took its toll on him (he was pretty much playing up front on his own!).
Ki had a good game, Commons seemed to be practicing point taking all night (think he may call for Mayo next week), Ledley was non existent, Brown had a good game.
Mark Wilson did a lot of running and I thought was ok, Danny and Chuck Mulgrew were solid in the centre, Forster for every ball that did come in (and there weren't that many) felt the need to punch it away, sometimes with his forearm, even when he could catch the ball - argh!!!
Finally Cha du Ri was up and down the wings defended well and was getting crosses into the box - my man of the match.
Tbc....

Pat Mustard

I can't agree there, Ledley was one of our best players, and Brown was awful. Samaras and Stokes were as bad as each other. I wish we'd get rid of Samaras ASAP. He may get a game in the away leg as the lone striker role kid of suits him, but I wish Lenny would get rid of him. So frustrating.
Agree with Cha MOTM though.
Despite our Euro away record I'm reasonably confident, Sion looked decent on the ball but nothing special. Then again, Utrecht looked pish. I presume even if we did buy a new striker he wouldn't be eligible for the 2nd leg. We need one, and need one soon.

Bingo

Are this Sion crowd going to get the boot then or whats the story with this illegal players?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Pat Mustard on August 19, 2011, 10:07:13 AM
I can't agree there, Ledley was one of our best players, and Brown was awful. Samaras and Stokes were as bad as each other. I wish we'd get rid of Samaras ASAP. He may get a game in the away leg as the lone striker role kid of suits him, but I wish Lenny would get rid of him. So frustrating.
Agree with Cha MOTM though.
Despite our Euro away record I'm reasonably confident, Sion looked decent on the ball but nothing special. Then again, Utrecht looked pish. I presume even if we did buy a new striker he wouldn't be eligible for the 2nd leg. We need one, and need one soon.

Pat while Brown may have not had his best game he was ok (not the standard he's recently been starting to show-i'll grant you that), Ledley to imho has been posted MIA in the last 2 games.
Samaras was walking about the park, was never moving off the ball to get into any sort of position, when the ball was played to him he was poor at best, he actually looked disinterested in being there (possibly a confidence thing?), I honestly thought Stokes started well but second half had gone off the boil. Lennon once again left it too late when making his changes, Sammy should have been hooked at halftime and I felt Paddy McCourt should have been introduced with about 25 mins remaining (not 7, as was the case) if he was to have any impact on the game.
Afaik, if we do get a striker before next Thursday he would be ineligable to play, but yes we do need a striker and a goalie as a matter of urgency!
In the away league Sion WILL have to attack and that should let Celtic create more chances to get goals (but please God, not with Sammy as lone striker! :o), although not a given I feel we should progress through to the group stages.
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Bingo on August 19, 2011, 10:17:49 AM
Are this Sion crowd going to get the boot then or whats the story with this illegal players?

If FIFA/UEFA don't kick them out then it sets a dangerous precedent, but I want Celtic to go through on merit and not a technicality, also feel sorry for the team that Sion put out in the last round!
Tbc....