All Ireland U20 2019

Started by omagh_gael, July 14, 2019, 08:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Early February start for this competition in 2020 with the All Ireland final to be played on the last weekend of March. An improvement on the June to August schedule of the last two years?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

marty34

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 29, 2019, 02:54:28 PM
Early February start for this competition in 2020 with the All Ireland final to be played on the last weekend of March. An improvement on the June to August schedule of the last two years?

Football and hurling?

five points

Hasn't been the same since they got rid of the U21s.

Blowitupref

Quote from: marty34 on October 29, 2019, 02:58:07 PM

Football and hurling?

Football as this thread is about. Not sure on hurling schedule.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Angelo

Quote from: Rossfan on August 02, 2019, 11:16:28 AM
Could u20 only have a 2 year existence?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/review-set-to-urge-u19-as-only-inter-county-under-age-grade-941408.html

Even worse again.

U21 was a great grade from a viewer's perspective, the quality on show was good and it was a great bridging gap to senior.

Even at U20 in the last couple of years, you can see it's a fair bit off what the U21 level was and a million miles off senior level. As the game has got so physically demanding, there are very few players who are ready for senior football at 19 or 20 which is why u21 was so important in developing these players.

You will have the rare case of a guy like Clifford being catapulted into senior before he's 21 but people like him, who have all the skills and the frame to handle senior football are few and far between.

It should be brought back to u21 but the gatekeepers of the game are completely out of touch with the average player, fan and even the coaches.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Angelo on October 29, 2019, 06:24:24 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 02, 2019, 11:16:28 AM
Could u20 only have a 2 year existence?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/review-set-to-urge-u19-as-only-inter-county-under-age-grade-941408.html

Even worse again.

U21 was a great grade from a viewer's perspective, the quality on show was good and it was a great bridging gap to senior.

Even at U20 in the last couple of years, you can see it's a fair bit off what the U21 level was and a million miles off senior level. As the game has got so physically demanding, there are very few players who are ready for senior football at 19 or 20 which is why u21 was so important in developing these players.

You will have the rare case of a guy like Clifford being catapulted into senior before he's 21 but people like him, who have all the skills and the frame to handle senior football are few and far between.

It should be brought back to u21 but the gatekeepers of the game are completely out of touch with the average player, fan and even the coaches.

Yes it would be worse. The logical thing to do for 2021 is to bring back the U21 championship however I can't see those at the top doing that as they won't want to admit they were wrong with scrapping that championship.

MayoBuck

This should mean all the best players are in the U20 competition. Senior intercounty managers will hardly prevent lads playing U20 championship just to play league games.

I also can't understand why it wasn't left as U21 however.

Rossfan

Them Sigerson and Fitzgibbon Cups to be played in January next year.
Also AI  Club Semis and  Finals in January.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: MayoBuck on October 29, 2019, 07:10:12 PM

This should mean all the best players are in the U20 competition. Senior intercounty managers will hardly prevent lads playing U20 championship just to play league games.

I also can't understand why it wasn't left as U21 however.

With college football finishing in January it will probably be midweek games for the majority of U20 championship games I can imagine.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: topofthesoil on October 30, 2019, 02:58:45 PM
intrigued to hear your views, but do you posters think its a good or bad move with the universities not being in the mckenna cup anymore?

Probably have run their course. All finished bottom in their groups without winning a game this year i think.

Angelo

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 30, 2019, 03:15:11 PM
Quote from: topofthesoil on October 30, 2019, 02:58:45 PM
intrigued to hear your views, but do you posters think its a good or bad move with the universities not being in the mckenna cup anymore?

Probably have run their course. All finished bottom in their groups without winning a game this year i think.

It's probably an even bigger scheduling nightmare now for both the players at county managers.

Counties would be looking at fresh blood in late Dec and January, a lot of the new players tried out for the year by counties will be college students probably getting geared up for Sigerson so it will be yet another tug of war for the player. The county manager wanting to have a look at him before deciding on a squad for the league campaign and a niversity manager wanting him at training as they get closer to the start of its flagship competition.

The player probably caught in the middle trying to keep both happy and his physical welfare being jeopardised.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Maroon Manc

Do Galway play Mayo in February? Not a great draw especially considering Galway don't even have a manager yet.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 31, 2019, 12:23:42 PM
Do Galway play Mayo in February? Not a great draw especially considering Galway don't even have a manager yet.

Yes. Nominations in place for that management role and just a matter of picking between the current Galway Minor football manager Donal O'Fatharta of An Spideal, former Galway minor football manager Stephen Joyce of an Fhairce and Mick Culhane of Salthill/Knocknacarra who was a selector this year with the U20's under Joyce.

Rossfan

I wonder when did U20 team managenents find out the Championship was coming in February instead of June?
I presume there wont be time for the Keagues that were played this year?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on October 31, 2019, 03:05:43 PM
I wonder when did U20 team managenents find out the Championship was coming in February instead of June?
I presume there wont be time for the Keagues that were played this year?
Same time as senior managers found out about the introduction of the second tier. Unlikely to be leagues with the sigeron Cup played off in January.