The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Is this simply a case of the Sligo public backing one of their own against an 'outsider'. It can't help Walsh that he is an outsider and O'Hara is a Sligo hero when it comes to gaining support from the Sligo public. From the outside, maybe Walsh has stayed on a year too long but he didn't deserve the public execution.

Syferus

Quote from: yellowcard on May 27, 2013, 03:07:22 PM
Is this simply a case of the Sligo public backing one of their own against an 'outsider'. It can't help Walsh that he is an outsider and O'Hara is a Sligo hero when it comes to gaining support from the Sligo public. From the outside, maybe Walsh has stayed on a year too long but he didn't deserve the public execution.

I think you've missed the point entirely, Yellowcard.

yellowcard

Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2013, 03:10:09 PM

Which is.....

magpie seanie

Quote from: yellowcard on May 27, 2013, 03:10:45 PM

Which is.....

Walsh is only a symptom of the problem. He should have been gone long ago. This is a Sligo problem that actually very few Sligo people even realise. I'm not one bit shocked we lost this game. The stories I could tell - people would just not believe.

The days of "behind closed doors" and "smokey rooms" need to be gone. We can't afford to get anything wrong in Sligo with the natural disadvantages we have yet we get very little right. Put everything out on the table and BE HONEST. No-one should have any problem with that. Footballers who are not honest get found out soon enough. Administrators who are not honest seem to thrive.

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on May 27, 2013, 03:05:11 PM
Seanie, I respect your opinions on this site and if you and the other genuine Sligo contributors say something is seriously wrong then I will believe it.

I also have tremendous respect what O'Hara has done for his county. His gravitas within the game is undisputed and that is why he quickly went from retirement to being a pundit on TSG.

O'Hara may have made the right call, but it is not the place to do it. Even the Cork strikers and the Mayo car pushers didn't have such a public platform to campaign from, and yet I am fairly sure (certain in the case of Mayo) that they regretted the very public and thus personal nature of their statements.

In a couple of years, if not months, when the heat has gone out of the moment I suspect he will have regrets.

We need the spotlight to make sure the right things are done. Stuff happens openly in Sligo that would be massive scandal in other counties because those behind it get away with it. A bit of time under the microscope is no harm. If people have nothnig to hide - then what's the problem?

rosnarun

Stuff happens openly in Sligo that would be massive scandal
what is going on
loads of hint in tha various threads but no details . and if its in the ope surely its no problem to tell it.
can't be worse than mayo appoiting a manager for political purposes
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 27, 2013, 04:00:39 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 27, 2013, 03:10:45 PM

Which is.....

Walsh is only a symptom of the problem. He should have been gone long ago. This is a Sligo problem that actually very few Sligo people even realise. I'm not one bit shocked we lost this game. The stories I could tell - people would just not believe.

The days of "behind closed doors" and "smokey rooms" need to be gone. We can't afford to get anything wrong in Sligo with the natural disadvantages we have yet we get very little right. Put everything out on the table and BE HONEST. No-one should have any problem with that. Footballers who are not honest get found out soon enough. Administrators who are not honest seem to thrive.

Ive heard this said very often and directed at County boards. The only reason it prevails is that there is plenty of willing bodies to take the place of the footballer but few to step into the shoes of the Administrators, no matter how bad or no matter what has gone on in the past year. I've seen it in Monaghan over the last 2/3 years, where enough muck has been thrown at the CB, some of it had to stick. Yet, when congress comes around, they haven't been challenged at any level, no one wants the job.

People often say that those who sit at County Board level, have often been chased from their own clubs.

magpie seanie

Quote from: rosnarun on May 27, 2013, 04:24:27 PM
what is going on
loads of hint in tha various threads but no details . and if its in the ope surely its no problem to tell it.

If I went into detail about it I would be saying things directly about individuals that I couldn't prove in a court of law. Everyone would know it was true, or knows it's true, cos it is true but I'm not going there. I'd tell you to your face if you wanted to meet me some time.

It is rotten from the top down and anyone trying to do a decent job gets caught in the crossfire.

Contradict me if you like but it's amazing how you'd be so strong with zero evidence to back it.

theticklemister

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 27, 2013, 05:00:47 PM
what is going on

If I went into detail about it I would be saying things directly about individuals that I couldn't prove in a court of law. Everyone would know it was true, or knows it's true, cos it is true but I'm not going there. I'd tell you to your face if you wanted to meet me some time.

It is rotten from the top down and anyone trying to do a decent job gets caught in the crossfire.

Contradict me if you like but it's amazing how you'd be so strong with zero evidence to back it.

muppet

what is going on

The reason I don't think the Sunday Game was the place for this is simply as follows.

Magpie Seanie and Sligonian are pointing a very critical finger at the CB. I know that at least one of them and almost certainly both are well qualified to make such an observation. I don't dispute what they or O'Hara has to on that subject.

However the message from the Sunday Game will come from the lower part of the brow and will be personalised in the general media as an attack on Walsh and little else:

RTE - O'Hara calls on Sligo boss to fall on sword
HoganStand - O'Hara calls on Walsh to step down
Examiner - McConville: O'Hara has 'personal axe to grind' with Sligo boss Walsh
Joe.ie - Monday Morning Corner Back: O'Hara tears into Walsh
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on May 27, 2013, 05:16:07 PM
what is going on

The reason I don't think the Sunday Game was the place for this is simply as follows.

Magpie Seanie and Sligonian are pointing a very critical finger at the CB. I know that at least one of them and almost certainly both are well qualified to make such an observation. I don't dispute what they or O'Hara has to on that subject.

However the message from the Sunday Game will come from the lower part of the brow and will be personalised in the general media as an attack on Walsh and little else:

RTE - O'Hara calls on Sligo boss to fall on sword
HoganStand - O'Hara calls on Walsh to step down
Examiner - McConville: O'Hara has 'personal axe to grind' with Sligo boss Walsh
Joe.ie - Monday Morning Corner Back: O'Hara tears into Walsh

The question is if it gets the job done inside of Sligo of highlighting and focusing minds on the problems in the county why should they care how others perceive O'Hara's reaction?

theticklemister

WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING IN SLIGO????!!!!!

seafoid

TSG is turning into a real soap opera. Leave it aht Joe. Anyone goes near sligo I swear I'll do time sez Eamon.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2013, 05:38:25 PM
The question is if it gets the job done inside of Sligo of highlighting and focusing minds on the problems in the county why should they care how others perceive O'Hara's reaction?

You like the idea of nationally scapegoating Kevin Walsh, when at worst he is only a part of a bigger problem?
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on May 27, 2013, 05:59:33 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2013, 05:38:25 PM

You like the idea of nationally scapegoating Kevin Walsh, when at worst he is only a part of a bigger problem?

Nope, and I think it's clear he's going to be a big loser when all the dust settles. This seems to have been a moment that's been building in Sligo GAA for some time now and the county can't worry about Walsh's reputation if it's going to make in-roads in improving things.

Given how a lot of places (and people) are running down O'Hara, Walsh might find some sympathetic ears when he can talk frankly.