The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

TG4 who are run on a shoe-string in comparison could teach RTÉ a thing or two. They've no fancy graphics or gimmicky crap (like the Donie Shine feature last night) yet their production is a million times more professional than RTÉ's. They also don't have the endless stream of pundits that RTÉ seem to think the viewers want. The show on a Friday night with Dara Ó Cinnéide puts any of RTÉ's recent midweek offerings to shame and their highlights programme is exactly that - a highights programme. The night edition of The Sunday Game these days consists of about a token 5 minutes on every match followed by 10 minutes of McStay and the likes bleating on about turnovers, hotzones and other assorted nonsense.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

trileacman

Quote from: moysider on May 21, 2012, 11:38:31 PM
Quote from: johnpower on May 21, 2012, 09:19:35 PM
Dessie Dolan was a welcome change. I would prefer if they had a wider panel of experts.

the annual clusterwank

Greatest phrase ever.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Syferus

Still unbelievable that Dessie may not be lining out for Westmeath again. Looked every inch a top-five forward for Garrycastle this year. You can't really over-state the importance of a player of his quality, he may well have been the difference in Westmeath winning yesterday.

trileacman

We are pretty much agreed, Sunday game analysis consists of wheeling out the same agenda driven egomaniacs every year to tell us what we know. Analysis pretty much consists of this;
Tyrone have alot of young players coming through, there's too much hand-passing, Kerry are a Croke Park team, Galway have some great lovely fowards w**k, w**k, w**k, Donegal defence isn't one for the purists, there's alot of hand-passing, players today are over conditioned, Cork are a big strong team, not sure if you know this but Mayo have a poor record in finals, did i mention that teams today hand-pass alot, Munster teams play less matches (Spillane spent 2 minutes last night explaining how Donegal have to play more games, we can read a f**king fixtures table Pat).

Spillane and Brolly are just two squabbling wind-bags that think analysis comes second to winding each other up. RTE thinks this shite is all we want to see every season year on year.
O'Rourke is actually a reasonable pundit when removed from being the arbitrator between the aforementioned gobshites.

Davis, McStay and Carney all to some degree drive us insane. Davis knows sweet FA about the game and just inserts random comments applicable in any situation (t'was a game of two halves, that'll be a tough match next week). I don't find McStay too bad to listen to and I think he has a reasonable grasp of the game. For me Martin Carney is the first man I would kick down the N11 if I was in RTE, the most agenda driven bastard every to get handed a mike. Seems to think all passes should be kicked with the team with the most high catches in the match declared winners. Players, rules, managers are all plotting against the "spectacle" we all want which seems to be a 13-side match where all passes must travel 50 yards or more and finishes with the first team which scores 15 goals and 264 points. And Nordies. f**king Nordies ruin everything.

As someone said TG4 have an excellent broadcast. Young analysts who have better knowledge and less clichéd vocabulary who get on with the job without agenda's or fuss. Canavan, Tohill, Dolan, O'Cinnede are the way to go, the kinda lads you could listen too without feeling the urge to kick something.
The sad thing is that RTE's hurling analysts are decent enough with Loughnane being the only ego about the place. Farrell and Deignan amongst others are decent to listen too.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Asal Mor

Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2012, 10:28:11 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 21, 2012, 03:49:42 PM
Davis isn't too bad, but McStay is awful. Is there nobody better than him in the country?!

Compared to who?
Pol Pot?

;D  ;D  ;D  Good man Jinxy.

seafoid

Quote from: trileacman on May 22, 2012, 01:24:41 AM
We are pretty much agreed, Sunday game analysis consists of wheeling out the same agenda driven egomaniacs every year to tell us what we know. Analysis pretty much consists of this;
Tyrone have alot of young players coming through, there's too much hand-passing, Kerry are a Croke Park team, Galway have some great lovely fowards w**k, w**k, w**k, Donegal defence isn't one for the purists, there's alot of hand-passing, players today are over conditioned, Cork are a big strong team, not sure if you know this but Mayo have a poor record in finals, did i mention that teams today hand-pass alot, Munster teams play less matches (Spillane spent 2 minutes last night explaining how Donegal have to play more games, we can read a f**king fixtures table Pat).

great stuff. That would make a fabulous skit
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Bord na Mona man

Yeah, several of the analysts have already said all they are ever going to say and are just repeating.
Spillane constantly on about the "long kick pehss" and players not practicing kicking has gone beyond tiresome.

Also, too much time of the highlights sections is wasted on post-match manager interviews. At best 1 in 10 of them might throw up something remotely interesting, the rest are pure bland. I'd rather see more match action instead.

rrhf

In fairness this is becoming a total whingefest.   

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Syferus on May 22, 2012, 01:17:23 AM
Still unbelievable that Dessie may not be lining out for Westmeath again. Looked every inch a top-five forward for Garrycastle this year. You can't really over-state the importance of a player of his quality, he may well have been the difference in Westmeath winning yesterday.

Oh no question we'd have won if Dessie was playing, exactly what we were short of, someone to kick points from the inside line. To be fair he's been on the go for over 3 years straight, what with the provincial club campaigns finishing up in December. He was sick as a parrot in February, shouldn't have played against Brigids, yet was man of the match, see http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0317/1224313471401.html. He did look a bit haggered on TSG and probably does need the rest. Hopefully we'll see him back for the qualifiers or next year.

Thought he spoke well on Sunday night but the other two clampots kept cutting in with any random thought they had and Dessie's words kinda got lost. McStay isn't the worst but maybe I just save my ire for Davis, Jaysus, he drives me nuts. Can't believe RTE got him back again this year. Next they'll have him co presenting Championship Matters with Marty f**king Morrissey.  ::)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Yeah, I thought Dessie looked a bit shook on the Sunday Game. He always speaks well, and is good on the radio. Looks like he needs a while off, maybe a holiday with a few beers and a few steaks. He deserves a break anyway.

Declan

Lads I now watch the games with the sound off and leave when the "analysis" starts. Similarly on the highlights show - I go for a cuppa.

Shamrock Shore

Dessie Cahill looked very fit. Either there are a few sunbeds in the dressing rooms in Cuala or he likes his sun breaks. Also I would like a word with his barber - there is nary a grey hair in place.

magpie seanie

Another season, the Sunday Game is still shite.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2012, 11:22:56 AM
Yeah, I thought Dessie looked a bit shook on the Sunday Game. He always speaks well, and is good on the radio. Looks like he needs a while off, maybe a holiday with a few beers and a few steaks. He deserves a break anyway.

Doesn't drink but I'm sure he would relish the steaks. Shamrocks getting over the line this year would probably do him the world of good, although I'm sure he wouldn't look at it like that.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

nrico2006

Funny how alot of pundits and journalists were raving about Galway yesterday yet it was only a few weeks ago that they were all saying Division 2 is dung and that Tyrone and Kildare came up from a division loaded with useless sides.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'