Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: redhandefender on October 05, 2016, 09:45:35 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on October 05, 2016, 09:12:34 AM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on October 05, 2016, 12:18:27 AM
The 3 lowest teams there are 3 of the biggest underachievers in recent years in terms of population in Cork, Galway and Kildare. Kerry are doing ok but they have massive revenue from sponsorship and donations. Meath's and Down are two other teams who should be getting better looked after. Tyrone and Donegal are doing very well with limited support but they have good income streams.

how much did the Garvaghey Cebtre cost?

Its an absolute disgrace and its been going on for years. Even the NFL the most professional organisation going have a system in place to try and level the playing field. The GAA will sit and do nothing until its too late.

I don't know what garvaghey to do with it. We have a good system in place for raising funds from supporters and have loans which are being paid back? Whats your point about Garvaghey. Dublin have just build a fracility that dwarfs it

You can replace the word 'build' with 'been given', I think.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: Jinxy on October 05, 2016, 10:39:40 AM
The 3 lowest teams there are 3 of the biggest underachievers in recent years in terms of population in Cork, Galway and Kildare. Kerry are doing ok but they have massive revenue from sponsorship and donations. Meath's and Down are two other teams who should be getting better looked after. Tyrone and Donegal are doing very well with limited support but they have good income streams.

Its an absolute disgrace and its been going on for years. Even the NFL the most professional organisation going have a system in place to try and level the playing field. The GAA will sit and do nothing until its too late.

I don't know what garvaghey to do with it. We have a good system in place for raising funds from supporters and have loans which are being paid back? Whats your point about Garvaghey. Dublin have just build a fracility that dwarfs it

Lies. Please call up that centre whatever its called and ask for a full list of teams, ages, gender that have used the pitches and facilities since it opened, let me know how you get on.

And Jinxy its a great facility for Meath teams to use at inter and club level so don't know why you would not be happy with location.

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 05, 2016, 10:10:32 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 05, 2016, 10:02:07 AM
Quote from: mup on October 05, 2016, 09:03:37 AM
The money is per registered player. Not sure how that doesn't show the truth.

I suspect you won't get a response from any Dub.

Show me the figures, the exact figures on registered players vrs other counties.

The primary school coaching would also include no registered players.

DO you think Primary School kids in the country are registered?

Jinxy

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 05, 2016, 11:22:20 AM

Lies. Please call up that centre whatever its called and ask for a full list of teams, ages, gender that have used the pitches and facilities since it opened, let me know how you get on.

And Jinxy its a great facility for Meath teams to use at inter and club level so don't know why you would not be happy with location.

Did Dublin build it?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 05, 2016, 10:38:18 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 05, 2016, 10:02:15 AM
I know it is wrong about Dublin getting so much funding, but are the rest of the county boards so powerless that they can't ask questions as to why not us? Just wondering. Surely it would be no harm in asking for increased funding...

Seemingly Carlow asked for additional funding for football, were turned down as they had got funding for hurling. Money which Carlow I might add have spent very wisely.

Have been highlighting this for years and the pigs have just grunted at me. Wonder will it get any traction now or will we have to wait till Dublin win a Hurling All-Ireland.
Disgraceful. Carlow and every other county should be given as much money as possible to develop both codes if they apply for it. It's a shocking indictment of the GAA. As someone else said, it's appealing that nobody in high places shouted stop.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: Jinxy on October 05, 2016, 12:06:42 PM

Did Dublin build it?

Were Dublin  given it?

tonto1888

my point is it cost over 6million quid. Not exactly peanuts is it

Michael Schmeichal

The lad who tweeted this was asked if it included Juvenile Players. His reply was that he wasn't sure.

I can tell you it doesn't include Juvenile Players which is where Games Development Money is spent. He may as well as measured the money against registered taxidermists for all the relevance it has.

Jinxy

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 05, 2016, 12:20:53 PM

Did Dublin build it?

Were Dublin  given it?

We'll know when their existing agreements vis a vis training locations have run their course.
The €2 million that was earmarked by the GAA for the Centre of Excellence in Rathcoole has gone into this instead.
The Dubs paid to fit out the gym and have first call on it.
If it's a 'National' centre of excellence why didn't the GAA pay for the gym equipment?

mup

Quote from: Jinxy on October 05, 2016, 01:05:45 PM

Did Dublin build it?

Were Dublin  given it?

We'll know when their existing agreements vis a vis training locations have run their course.
The €2 million that was earmarked by the GAA for the Centre of Excellence in Rathcoole has gone into this instead.
If it's a 'National' centre of excellence why didn't the GAA pay for the gym equipment?

The fitting out of the gym was overseen by Bryan Cullen.

Did I see him on the Dublin bench on Saturday?

Maroon Manc

'Not for the first time the GAA has found itself defending an apparent bias in funding towards Dublin. Figures released in the 2014 financial report show that Dublin received €1.46 million for games development – more than the other 31 counties combined'

No doubt this will be spun or ignored.

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: mup on October 05, 2016, 01:12:51 PM

Did Dublin build it?

Were Dublin  given it?

If Dublin Underage or Adult Squads use a pitch in Abootstown for a session they pay €150 for the privilege. They also pay to use the gym. Not sure of the figure but again its the same for any GAA team who wants to use it. There is a little bit of a difference between renting a facility and being given it for free as is being suggested here.

Ewan's own county Kildare could use these facilities more often, only they spent their money on dodgy property deals and renting an empty apartment for Seanie Johnsone for a couple of years, while also keeping him well stocked with hurleys

Lar Naparka

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 05, 2016, 10:10:32 AM

Show me the figures, the exact figures on registered players vrs other counties.

The primary school coaching would also include no registered players.
I really don't know how many young kids are playing Gaelic football in Dublin but a report (and I'm tired of referring to it) came out in the early 90s.
Central Council had been worries by the high dropout rate of kids in the Dublin area and to compare that with other counties. ( That's no well put I know but its meaning should be clear enough.)
"Lack of penetration" was the buzz term then.
There was a huge number of very young kids playing at the lowest (youngest) level but the numbers decreased dramatically as the youngsters moved up through the ranks. CC felt that the earlier a kid dropped out, the less the chances f him or her taking part in club activity of any sort. In effect they were being lost to the GAA.
The committee (including Eugene McGee and Colm O'Rourke) reported back that there were five Dublin clubs who each could field more juvenile players that any one of five different counties.
Accepting that there is always a natural fall out rate as kids grow older, the report concluded that the problem was exacerbated in Dublin because superclubs tend to discard players as the number of teams fielded decrease as kids grow older.
Smaller clubs don't have this problem to the same degree as they don't start off with the same number of u10s or other very young age groups.
Many kids are forced to drop out against their will and as a result many who leave  bear a resentment to their former clubs. 
As usual, the report was not acted upon but  the problems as outlined have become very much worse.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mup

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on October 05, 2016, 01:22:51 PM
Quote from: mup on October 05, 2016, 01:12:51 PM

Did Dublin build it?

Were Dublin  given it?

If Dublin Underage or Adult Squads use a pitch in Abootstown for a session they pay €150 for the privilege. They also pay to use the gym. Not sure of the figure but again its the same for any GAA team who wants to use it. There is a little bit of a difference between renting a facility and being given it for free as is being suggested here.

Ewan's own county Kildare could use these facilities more often, only they spent their money on dodgy property deals and renting an empty apartment for Seanie Johnsone for a couple of years, while also keeping him well stocked with hurleys

You are not really one to start pontificating on Seanie Johnson type transfers considering the make-up of the Dublin u21 panel this year.

Considering how the Dubs profess how great their county board are, how did they not have the foresight to build their own centre of excellence like most other counties have?

But sure why would they.

Hound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 05, 2016, 01:31:45 PM
I really don't know how many young kids are playing Gaelic football in Dublin but a report (and I'm tired of referring to it) came out in the early 90s.
Central Council had been worries by the high dropout rate of kids in the Dublin area and to compare that with other counties. ( That's no well put I know but its meaning should be clear enough.)
"Lack of penetration" was the buzz term then.
There was a huge number of very young kids playing at the lowest (youngest) level but the numbers decreased dramatically as the youngsters moved up through the ranks. CC felt that the earlier a kid dropped out, the less the chances f him or her taking part in club activity of any sort. In effect they were being lost to the GAA.
The committee (including Eugene McGee and Colm O'Rourke) reported back that there were five Dublin clubs who each could field more juvenile players that any one of five different counties.
Accepting that there is always a natural fall out rate as kids grow older, the report concluded that the problem was exacerbated in Dublin because superclubs tend to discard players as the number of teams fielded decrease as kids grow older.
Smaller clubs don't have this problem to the same degree as they don't start off with the same number of u10s or other very young age groups.
Many kids are forced to drop out against their will and as a result many who leave  bear a resentment to their former clubs. 
As usual, the report was not acted upon but  the problems as outlined have become very much worse.
From my experience, these GPO's that are with most Dublin clubs spend most of their time in primary schools trying to win the battle for youngsters v soccer and rugby. They'll take a regular PE class during school time and teach basic skills to junior/senior infants and encourage them to join the club.

My lad has been with the local GAA club for 6 years has received 2 training sessions at the club from the GPO in that time. (I know they do help arrange the Cul Camp / Summer Camp thingy for 2 different weeks in the summer, but my lad won't go to them.)

From my club's point of view there is a debate each year about whether the cost of the GPO is worth it. (I thought it was the same for any club, that if you put up 50% of the cost, central coffers would fund the rest?). As you can imagine there is plenty of giving out about someone getting paid versus the rest of us volunteers. We've had 3 different GPOs in my time, the first was absolutely useless, the second a complete headcase. The third seems a bit better, although I haven't seen much of him and he's never been at a training session or match involving my son's team.