PuC and the Liam Miller Fundraiser

Started by Baile Brigín 2, July 18, 2018, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 19, 2018, 03:42:19 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2018, 03:14:55 PM
Can of worms opening...

https://twitter.com/timoconnorbl/status/1019850077127495680
Now isn't that interesting. I cant see the organisers of this event going legal, but rugby might

The bould Tim O'Connor BL whoever he is has me blocked even though I've never heard of him. His twitter pic would indicate he's a crank.

rosnarun

@Baile Brigín 2
I have a party arranged for you house  next Tuesday make sure your out and leave a full fridge
the story is total bollix
soccer Ireland make millions but choose to give it  to people like John Delany and useless twats on the pitch and 2 of their clubs  could be out of business in a week or so unless they find another sucker to
leech money off . but the GAA get the laughable title of Grab all association
Sad for Liam Miller and his family  and they are lots of tragedies in all sports  but they  nothing to do with the GAA and the idea of trying to force soccer into GAA grounds using the stick of Charity is reprehensible .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on July 19, 2018, 04:46:00 PM
@Baile Brigín 2
I have a party arranged for you house  next Tuesday make sure your out and leave a full fridge
soccer Ireland make millions but choose to give it  to people like John Delany and useless t**ts on the pitch and 2 of their clubs  could be out of business in a week or so unless they find another sucker to
Sad for Liam Miller and his family  and they are lots of tragedies in all sports  but they  nothing to do with the GAA and the idea of trying to force soccer into GAA grounds using the stick of Charity is reprehensible .

What's the weather like back in the Stone Age?

dublin7

Quote from: mup on July 19, 2018, 12:37:16 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on July 18, 2018, 10:26:41 PM
Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2018, 04:29:17 PM
The organisers confirmed that an approach was made with a view to hosting the match at Pairc Ui Chaoimh, but that this would require a rule change at GAA congress which won't be held until next spring.

Mr O'Flynn stressed, however, that Cork County Board were very receptive to their approaches and offered Pairc Ui Chaoimh's conferencing facilities free of charge.

Think the CCB did all they could in fairness. Nothing to see here.

How else do you explain dragging Clare & wexford to PuC even though Thurles was closer for both counties. Only reason to play the game there is political.

You can't use the pitch, but you can use our office and we won't even charge you!!! If that's not an insult to the family I don't know what is.

The sad thing is if cork co. board had shown any common sense, empathy or simple decency they could have allowed it, but unfortunately somone somewhere would complain about the rules and regulations and the game would have had to have been called off.

Cork co board clearly still have serious power. Only explanation for ridiculous decision to play wexford v clare qtr final in PuC last week.

It was all going so well until your last paragraph. Which county board wields the power to play matches in Croke Park?

Kidder81

Would Liam Miller not have made a fair few quid during his soccer career ?

spuds

Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2018, 04:56:46 PM
@Baile Brigín 2
soccer Ireland make millions but choose to give it  to people like John Delany and useless t**ts on the pitch and 2 of their clubs  could be out of business in a week or so unless they find another sucker to

These one liners are all good and well but you are not dealing in reality. Ros makes very good points IMO but you rather just tarnish anyone (everyone) who has differing views to yourself.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Therealdonald

Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2018, 04:56:46 PM
@Baile Brigín 2

You should know as you're legal knowledge seems to date from back then.

Baile Brigín 2

@Baile Brigín 2

Thats laughable.  What players do the FAI give money to? Did the state invest €30m in my fridge on the apparent clear understanding i shared it if requested?

Its a bit stoneage to not see that after taking €30m in public money for a venue that it might be wise to allow the broader community use it to raise funds for charity and a dead mans young family. The only people forcing anything is Croke Park.

We might know the nuances of the rules,  but to outsiders the Cork co board are saying they have no control over who uses their stadium. Baaaddd PR

Rossfan

I think you'll find the €30m was given on the understanding that the GAA would change its rules to allow the Rugby World Cup games to be played in some GAA grounds of the Irish bid was successful.
But sure let's bash th'oul Gah.
It'll take attention away from 2 soccer clubs about to go under.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2018, 06:33:48 PM
I think you'll find the €30m was given on the understanding that the GAA would change its rules to allow the Rugby World Cup games to be played in some GAA grounds of the Irish bid was successful.
But sure let's bash th'oul Gah.
It'll take attention away from 2 soccer clubs about to go under.
You think this is a conspiracy by the soccer lads? Really? There seems to be a lot of Gaels unhappy with this too.

Bord na Mona man

It's surprising how a lot of people seemingly weren't aware of the rules around the use of GAA facilities until yesterday. Or that's what I gathered from the reaction on social media and elsewhere.

On the face of it, the cause here seems sound and so the GAA is invariably going to look like the Scrooges once the full weight of outrage has been unleashed.

It should open a wider debate. Perhaps a more flexible approach could be adopted to ground usage taking into account the cause and benefactors
However one of the few advantages the GAA has over other sports is the ability to evangelise its grassroots and develop pitches, grounds and facilities.
Is this something to be leveraged, or does it not matter in the greater scheme of things?

Other international sports have the advantage of not needing to lift a finger or spend a cent promoting their games.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Kidder81 on July 19, 2018, 05:21:40 PM
Would Liam Miller not have made a fair few quid during his soccer career ?
sure thats grand so. No need to honour the man and raise a few bob for charity.

Think how this looks to the broader world

CornUladh02

Unfortunately the lack of flexibility and the often parochial nature of the GAA rulebook has left the GAA with our on its face with this one. Would have been a massive PR boost for the GAA to allow it to go ahead but it hasn't worked out. Maybe a sizable donation to the Miller foundation By the GAA would help?

Rossfan

28 posts by Baile Brigín.
11 of them on this subject ::)