Lost talent in Down.

Started by 5 Sams, April 25, 2013, 10:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Copying a topic from another county's forum.

Which players should have, could have, would have made it in the red & black but didnt for whatever reason.

I'll give you 2 to start.

Brian Conlon. Some might say he did make it as he featured in several lge & cship matches. A superb midfielder in the mould of Tohill whose career was cut short by injury in a University game. But for that injury he would have two AI medals in his arse pocket.

Kieran Ruddy. A contemporary of DJ Kane and most of the  guys on the 91 team. Probably the most skilful underage player I have ever seen. Never played senior county football for various reasons but mostly because he couldn't be arsed! (He'll tell you that himself) Think Shorty Treanor with more skill and speed...there I've said it.....bring it on Burren heads!!

The Aristocrat Years

DownFanatic

Aidan Mackin of Rostrevor would have been regarded as the top dog in the county at underage level from the late 90's through to the early 00's. He had immense skill, speed and a tremedous eye for a score. Starred on numerous St Colman's College teams and played Minor and U-21 but never really got a look in with the Senior setup. Still playing consistently well with Rostrevor Seniors.

southdown

Aiden Cunningham of An Riocht
Christopher Burden of Longstone

PAULD123

James's older brother Brian. Captained St Colmans and Down Minors to All-Ireland victory. Knee injury ended his career at senior level before it even started

thewobbler

I'd think there's a difference between outstanding juveniles who regressed enough at senior club level (Chris Burden springs to mind) not to warrant a call-up, and those players who performed well at senior club level for years without playing county football.

Given that Ross and DJ gave about 60 players a game over 2 years, and Wee James had a right sprinkle at it in his first 12 months, there's probably a lot more of the former!

Aristo 60

Caolan Mooney and Martin Clarke are the very definition of lost talent and are more relevant today that the 40 / 50 year olds who sadly lost out through bad injury with no disrepect to them or fellow posters.

I wonder if we started a petition to get the pair home would it work, if even to bring them home sometime sooner than they currently plan.

Was watching the 91 final the other night. Back then all the talk of the 23 year gap seemed like an absolute age to a young lad like me. In 2014 it will be another 20 year gap.  :(

DownFanatic

Quote from: thewobbler on April 26, 2013, 01:42:32 PM
I'd think there's a difference between outstanding juveniles who regressed enough at senior club level (Chris Burden springs to mind) not to warrant a call-up, and those players who performed well at senior club level for years without playing county football.

Given that Ross and DJ gave about 60 players a game over 2 years, and Wee James had a right sprinkle at it in his first 12 months, there's probably a lot more of the former!

Thats one thing the previous Down management teams did over the past decade: they give a helluva lot of boys a chance for the county. It didn't matter whether they came from Division 1 or Division 4, they got a shot at it. However, we never really did find that rough diamond.

Mourne Rover

Brian Conlon was an outstanding prospect, as 5 Sams says, but he practically never played midfield for Down so it is difficult to compare him to Anthony Tohill. He would have become a classic full forward, in the mould of Benny Coulter or even's Conlon's legendary Mitchell's clubmate Sean O'Neill. Conlon may not have been as physically strong as Benny but he was probably a better finisher and had deadly pace. His injury did not come in the main Sigerson competition, but in the tournament's plate, which was not taken seriously at the time and made it all even more of a pity. However, it give him the chance to concentrate on a business career instead, and, according to the Sunday Times rich list last week, he's not doing too badly.

snoopdog

Quote from: Aristo 60 on April 26, 2013, 01:50:42 PM
Caolan Mooney and Martin Clarke are the very definition of lost talent and are more relevant today that the 40 / 50 year olds who sadly lost out through bad injury with no disrepect to them or fellow posters.

I wonder if we started a petition to get the pair home would it work, if even to bring them home sometime sooner than they currently plan.

Was watching the 91 final the other night. Back then all the talk of the 23 year gap seemed like an absolute age to a young lad like me. In 2014 it will be another 20 year gap.  :(
Looking at the AFL link on the discussion board im not sure if Marty is doing that well back at collingwood.

conormac

"Looking at the AFL link on the discussion board im not sure if Marty is doing that well back at collingwood."  I'm not one to bite usually but come on the guy has played in every game so far this year for the first team and performed admirally kicking a couple of goals in the process.  He has been one of the most consistent players to date and is high up in the stats figures each game.  Just check a couple of stats before writing the young fella off.  In my opinion one of the reasons he accepted the contract in Australia was because of what was written about him in the media be it good or bad.  Give the lad a break let him get on with it at Collingwood and wish him well.

snoopdog

Quote from: conormac on May 01, 2013, 07:17:38 PM
"Looking at the AFL link on the discussion board im not sure if Marty is doing that well back at collingwood."  I'm not one to bite usually but come on the guy has played in every game so far this year for the first team and performed admirally kicking a couple of goals in the process.  He has been one of the most consistent players to date and is high up in the stats figures each game.  Just check a couple of stats before writing the young fella off.  In my opinion one of the reasons he accepted the contract in Australia was because of what was written about him in the media be it good or bad.  Give the lad a break let him get on with it at Collingwood and wish him well.
Your right I should have checked stats a opposed to someone else's opinion. Suppose I like all in Down would love to see Marty back in a Down  jersey . best of luck to Marty and caolan for the new AFL season

Aristo 60

But come back soon anyway  ;)

western exile

I see that Shay McCartan is now a free agent, after being "released" from Burnley association football club.  Does anyone know of his intentions?  Any chance he is going  to stay around home for awhile?

Aristo 60

Has he any more height about him now?