Change in GAA Physios policy

Started by Celt_Man, February 25, 2010, 05:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

We had to really tighten up our procedures. There were lads going along without telling anyone then landing back with the receipts. Some lads are very fond of going and some pysios tend to milk that.
Now we have a new set-up where the team managers organise the sessions and they will take more than one man at a time if the injuries happen at the same time. The crowd also said that there should be no more than 2-3 visits or else it's more than pysio needed.
We spent over 13 grand on medical bills last year and we're a small club.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

North Longford

I'm a Physical Therapist, and work with a couple of GAA clubs who have taken a differeing view on this to some extent. Both have decided that players should only attend to one therapist as in previous years apparently lads were going all over the place and nobody would know until the bill arrived. As a result I have significanlty reduced rates from what my off the street clients would pay for a session.
One of the clubs continue to want me attending games and even junior games while the second now has decided to go with a first aider at games to save on cost. BTW I wish it was 100 euro per game? Maybe I'm soft!!!
As such a teams main saving won't necessarily be on what they save through not having someone at games. It will be on controlling how often fellas are going to treatment sessions. One of the above clubs requires that treatment must be approved by the chairman or team manager before players attend.
One thing that should be remebered is that some Physical Therapy fees and chartered physio fees are covered for a number of treatments by all the medical insurers plus Garda medical scheme and a few other random job specific ones so its worth while for a club to find out anyone who has VHI or Quinn or whatever and making sure lads claim through this.
You would also need to make sure whoever your therapist is is covered by the insurers. Members of the Irish Association of Physical Therarpists are, as are chartered physios. After that I wouldn't be too sure.

DownFanatic

The key to reducing Physio bills is to make going to the physio less attractive. By this I mean putting a rule in place whereby a player has to pay half the amount for each session or the club only covers 50% of the cost of each session.

In 90% of cases. players run to the physio because it is an easy option. They know they can offload the cost to their club and that they personally wont be out of pocket. By putting barriers in place you will soon see a serious reduction in physio costs.

IMHO a lot of players seek physio for ailments that arent actually there. Their physchological state is a lot to do with it and with access to physio being easily got they soon believe that half an hour on the table will solve their woes. They end up going and going again and inventing more injuries because the path to the physio has no restrictions.

All in all, if you want to reduce your physio bill, start lumping costs on the players and you will soon see a lot of savings coming your club's way.

North Longford

I agree to a certain extent with Downfanatic also because the easy access in my opinion means guys aren't as diligent with the rehab they are given to do themselves. The only issue I can see fellas having is right now one of the clubs in particular I work with have at least 4 or 5 of the panel with no work themselves. The question then arises if a fella simply cannot afford to pay for treatment and genuinely needs it. 

boojangles

Our club has hired a Physio for every Tuesday for an hour from 8-9 when the Seniors and Juniors are training. She gets to see at least 3 or 4 lads so it is at least halving the bill that the club would have been paying last year. The only problem is she is very fit and I'm even tempted myself to pull a hammer or something just to get a chat with her.

I had a heap of work done last year along with scans etc. Thank God these changes only came in this year.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: boojangles on March 10, 2010, 02:22:09 PM
Our club has hired a Physio for every Tuesday for an hour from 8-9 when the Seniors and Juniors are training. She gets to see at least 3 or 4 lads so it is at least halving the bill that the club would have been paying last year. The only problem is she is very fit and I'm even tempted myself to pull a hammer or something just to get a chat with her.

I had a heap of work done last year along with scans etc. Thank God these changes only came in this year.

How much is it to hire a physio for 1 hour?

And rule 1.  ;)
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

BallyhaiseMan

il be hearing about Boojangles having a groin strain any of these weeks so!!!! .  :o   :D

boojangles

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 10, 2010, 03:19:33 PM

How much is it to hire a physio for 1 hour?

And rule 1.  ;)

Im not sure TBH but I doubt she could be charging more than 60 or 70 bucks,even if she has to travel a bit. Even at 70 euro its not bad compared to say 4 lads at 40 or 50 a pop.

Rule 1?? Never heard of it?

boojangles

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 10, 2010, 03:22:59 PM

il be hearing about Boojangles having a groin strain any of these weeks so!!!! .  :o   :D

I think I may pull it soon,especially with the League starting shortly.Il miss one week of training,get a good word put in, and be back in time for the 1st round against Celt Man. :P :P

How's Barry Tierney doing wit yas anyway BH Man? He's keeping the seat warm anyway ye.

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on March 10, 2010, 03:50:10 PM

I think I may pull it soon,especially with the League starting shortly.Il miss one week of training,get a good word put in, and be back in time for the 1st round against Celt Man. :P :P

How's Barry Tierney doing wit yas anyway BH Man? He's keeping the seat warm anyway ye.

And then be out for the rest of the season after that encounter!!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

:D
Everything is good so far with BT boojangles.
No Comment on the seat warming bit  ;)

boojangles

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 10, 2010, 07:14:15 PM

:D
Everything is good so far with BT boojangles.
No Comment on the seat warming bit  ;)

True to form with BH Man,never gives anything away :D :D

FarneyMan

Quick question,
Can you submit a Gaa injury scheme claim form online (i.e. email it to them) ?

or does it have to be posted ?

bingobus

Quote from: FarneyMan on June 03, 2010, 04:52:22 PM
Quick question,
Can you submit a Gaa injury scheme claim form online (i.e. email it to them) ?

or does it have to be posted ?

No, it requires signatures as far as I know. And they are very very very very particular about everything about them.

Canalman

Yeah requires at least the club secretary's signature. Only a short time period to submit the claim form also.